Text Size

Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA

Shawn Marion?

Talk Cavs hoops and other items from the NBA here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, pup, papacass

Shawn Marion?

Unread postby Spin » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:30 pm

Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: Shawn Marion?

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:44 pm

He'd be a great get. Still good defensively against 3's and 4's. Still can rebound. Kind of skeptical that he'd go anywhere for the vet minimum, but apparently he's at least considering it. Any chance of a sign & trade with Dallas for some/all of those contracts we picked up from Utah?
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby CharacterIV » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Getting Marion at the Vet. Min. would be a huge pickup. That they're talking to him further convinces me that Wiggins is going to leave in a Kevin Love deal; pretty sure Marion's cap hold has been renounced by Dallas, so S&T options are off the table. That means we can't offer him money, but we can offer him meaningful minutes on a contender. I don't think he's as inclined to take it if he's sharing those minutes with Wiggins, who would at least overlap in role somewhat.

Defense is the most present weakness on this Cavs team, and Marion is still a high-caliber defender against anyone but the bigger bigs or fastest guards. He's also an efficient scorer with range (despite how gawdawful his jumper looks), he's playoff-tested, a savvy vet, athletic... He's a perfect fit for this team.

Blatt's a big believer in "positionless basketball," so redundancy with Miller and James Jones doesn't really seem an issue -- we'll want as many of those sort of guys who can realistically play 2/3/4 as we can get.

If Marion comes aboard, I wonder if there wouldn't be an opportunity to use the new, slimmer LeBron (see the photos making the rounds on the Intarwebz) at the 2? I think he'd be better suited for it than Marion, and a Varejao/Love/Marion/LeBron/Kyrie lineup boasts strong defense and offense.

If we can get Marion's signature on paper and then convince Flip to put Gorgui Dieng into the Love deal (or involve a third team to get their rim protector) then it'd be an absolute coup.
Being a Cleveland fan builds character.
CharacterIV

Favorite Player: Hometown Pride
Least Favorite Player: Wiggins Remorse

Unread postby CharacterIV » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:17 pm

Woj and Windy both have Marion preferring the ring chances in Cleveland to more $ and increased role with Indy. Woj reports that Indy is already taking their 5.3mm disabled player allowance and looking elsewhere with it.

Marion would be the most important acquisition of this off-season not named LeBron or Kevin. His brand of versatile, athletic defense and ugly-but-functional shooting is just what we need to reduce LeBron's workload through the regular season.

There's also reports of us talking with Chauncey Billups, probably to be the Cavs edition of Giambi. I can think of worse guys to have Kyrie, Dion and Dellevedova hanging around with, learning the details of good guard play.
CharacterIV

Unread postby scott » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:13 am

Confirmed.

This is really good. There should be 1-2 games a week where LeBron doesn't get off the bench in the 4th. Unlike the Heat this team should have the depth rest him for the playoffs.

They are odds on favorites now if they weren't before.
scott

Favorite Player: Sabby Piscitelli
Least Favorite Player: Everyone Else

Unread postby bookelly » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:07 pm

Fast guards?...Delly. Wingmen?...Matrix. Big Bigs? We still need a 7-footer with rim protection ability.

---

Mosgov for expiring contracts + a pick? He was undrafted three years ago. Denver is reportedly not interested. Blatt coached him in Russia. Will = Way.

Deign as part of the Love deal? Much more likely. Again for expiring(s) + pick. He was a 2nd rounder two years ago. (Turiaf might also work in this limited roll. He's pretty dang tough at 6' 9".)

Both guys are terrific defensively with upside.

One more piece plus Allen and:

Kyrie/Delly/Allen
Miller/Dion/Hawes
King/Matrix/Jones
Love/TT/Powell <-it should be noted all 3 of these guys could play the 5. So could LeBron.
Andy/ ?? / Haywood/Kirk? <- depth I guess

Chauncy Billups as Assistant Coach/practice guy/guy who could play if needed because of injury.

That's 8 all-stars (currently) plus 5 realistic HOF players. On the same team. At once. In Cleveland.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby CharacterIV » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:44 pm

I'm geeked about this one; we NEEDED a tough, veteran defensive presence on the wing. Marion is the perfect fit because not only can he spell LeBron, but he also can compliment him. The Love-LeBron-Marion-Miller/Allen-Kyrie small ball onslaught will be epic.

The only evident hole that remains is a legit rim-protecting C. Quite frankly, I don't know that's one we need to solve before the season. We made an unsuccessful run at Mozgov, let's call again around the trade deadline. Maybe Denver's on the outside looking in at that point and likes our offer a bit more.

If Allen comes on that's fine, but we've got shooting depth already.

You could also say we need a more legit backup PG, but I'm in the Delly-uber-alles camp, so I want to see him get minutes.
CharacterIV

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers & The NBA