Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Preseason Thread

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Preseason Thread

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Sep 22, 2008 8:30 pm

The Jackets first preseason game is tomorrow night in Chicago, beginning at 8:30.

If it's being televised anywhere, I'll try to provide an internet web link for those that want to watch.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:28 pm

0-0 end of 1. Shots 11-8 Chicago. Norrena started for Columbus.

Here's tonight's lines:

York - Novotny - Murray
Chimera - Brassard - Voracek
Picard - Kelly - Boll
Sestito - MacKenzie - Dorsett

Tollefsen - Backman
Methot - Russell
Wilson - Rome

Norrena
LaCosta
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:23 am

Jackets destroyed the Blackhawks last night 7-1
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:33 am

British_Pharaoh wrote:Jackets destroyed the Blackhawks last night 7-1

Take it with a grain of salt. Toews, Barker, Kane, Seabrook, and others didn't play. The Hawks really hung Huet out to dry because everyone was resting.

Either way, good to see goals from four of the new guys. Tyutin was even the #1 star against the watered-down lineup.

I'm headed to Columbus on Thursday to watch them play my Sabres. Hopefully all the stars play.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:45 pm

You may remember this from the offseason thread:

Skating Tripods wrote:
jack_tors wrote:The Blue Jackets have signed forward Mike York to a one year deal. Terms of the contract were not disclosed.

http://bluejackets.nhl.com/team/app/?se ... eid=368998

Not exactly the signing I was hoping for but the veteran leadership should help.

Not a huge fan of this signing. He's not really an upgrade over Chimera, Malhotra, or even Brassard. It just bogs down the center position. Hell, even Novotny's better.

Interestingly, it's a two-way deal, which means that he can be sent to Syracuse without having to clear waivers. He also had just signed with the KHL a couple weeks back and decided, instead, to stay in North America.

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2008/09/yo ... vers.shtml

Here's the conclusion.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Re: Preseason Thread

Unread postby jack_tors » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:05 pm

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=384806

Article recaps last night's win over the Predators at home. Should be an interesting season for the Jackets, at least there is some hope for the playoffs, as small as it might be..

As for Michael York, guess it didn't work out after all. Worth the time to look at him since it didnt really cost the club anything financially.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby paddio » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:52 am

I thought York would be a decent fit here, guess not.
paddio

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:53 pm

I was at Thursday night's game against Buffalo, but this is the first chance that I've gotten to sit down and gather my observations.

As a Sabres fan, I was thoroughly pleased with how Jochen Hecht played. Max Afinogenov played spirited as well, even battling for a puck in the corner with Rick Nash and coming out with it.

But, the few people that browse this forum care about the Jackets mostly, so here's my thoughts on them.

It was Nikita Filatov's debut game as a Blue Jacket and you could tell that he was a bit jumpy. He's a great puck possession forward, but his decision making is going to take some time. He was trying to do a bit too much to impress and it showed in his game. I can't recall who he was on a line with, but I know that his linemates weren't up to his talent level, and that showed as well.

On Commodore, he looked pretty immobile to me. He's certainly a big specimen, but he is not the most agile of defensemen. I think that if he's going to be on a shutdown pairing with Klesla, he's going to have a lot of difficulty with guys like Datysuk, Zetterberg, Toews, etc., the flashier top line players. He'll match up well with the Brendan Morrow types, though.

Rick Nash scored his usual back post garbage goal. I lost a bit of respect for him when he went after little 5'9" Nathan Gerbe late in the game. Both players got roughing minors. Gerbe gave him a whack, which is what Nash was responding to, but the initial penalty was there and Gerbe wanted no part of Nash. But, Nash would never go after someone his own size.

Clay Wilson, Grant Clitsome, and Marc Methot all played because Hitchcock wanted to see one of three step up as a puck-moving defenseman. None of them did. Neither Tyutin nor Backman played, so I haven't been able to see their styles in person yet, but from all accounts, the Jackets are going to have some trouble creating offense on the breakout.

Norrena played decent. Two goals were on the PP, one a 5-on-3. Both PPGs were howitzers from the point. Gerbe had a gorgeous breakaway goal. Norrena did give up a bad goal to Hecht, going down too early and getting one rifled over his glove hand.

Columbus didn't have all their normal powerplay guys on the ice during PPs, but nevertheless, their PP looked atrocious. Even when Nash and Huselius were out there, they didn't generate any offense.

Columbus was much-improved in the faceoff circle. Umberger's a sound pivotman on the draw.

On another note, for any hockey fans that haven't gotten down to Nationwide yet, it's a must-see. It's the third time I've been there, but the Arena District is just beautiful. No bullshit like the Gateway District. Plenty of nice restaurants/bars and it's very well-lit and safe.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:56 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:I was at Thursday night's game against Buffalo, but this is the first chance that I've gotten to sit down and gather my observations.

As a Sabres fan, I was thoroughly pleased with how Jochen Hecht played. Max Afinogenov played spirited as well, even battling for a puck in the corner with Rick Nash and coming out with it.

I like the Sabres, they are the only team in the East I care about. Fun city to see a game, without a doubt. Are Buffalo fans still booing Afinogenov every time he touches the puck? I was up there for the final game of the 07-08 vs Boston and they wanted him strung from the rafters.

Skating Tripods wrote:Columbus didn't have all their normal powerplay guys on the ice during PPs, but nevertheless, their PP looked atrocious. Even when Nash and Huselius were out there, they didn't generate any offense.

Columbus was much-improved in the faceoff circle. Umberger's a sound pivotman on the draw.

So nothing new on the PP front, eh? Last season, the power play was enough to drive a fan crazy and I am not sure I can stomach another season of watching them just skate around lost with a man advantage. Nice to hear they have improved in faceoffs though. That too was definitely an area they needed to work on in the postseason.

Skating Tripods wrote:On another note, for any hockey fans that haven't gotten down to Nationwide yet, it's a must-see. It's the third time I've been there, but the Arena District is just beautiful. No bullshit like the Gateway District. Plenty of nice restaurants/bars and it's very well-lit and safe.

I completely agree, the vision in planning that area cannot be understated. It is so easy to wander to various bars, restaurants, and shops before and after a game. Each time I visit Nationwide, I become angry that the same set up wasnt implemented in Cleveland. With the addition of the new Clippers stadium nearby, there is even more to do. For all those who havent been there, you must go to that district, it is great.

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:52 pm

jack_tors wrote:I like the Sabres, they are the only team in the East I care about. Fun city to see a game, without a doubt. Are Buffalo fans still booing Afinogenov every time he touches the puck? I was up there for the final game of the 07-08 vs Boston and they wanted him strung from the rafters.

His name is in trade talks every other week. He's so inconsistent. Vanek might be inconsistent, but at least you can still find a way to pencil him in for 35-40 goals. With Afinogenov's off-the-charts talent level, he should be a perennial 30-goal scorer. He just isn't motivated most of the time.

As for booing him, I don't know. Game was in Columbus. I was in HSBC once, quite a few years ago for a game against Dallas which Buffalo won. I'm hoping to make it there once this year. Preferably to see the Capitals and AO, since they only come once to Nationwide.

So nothing new on the PP front, eh? Last season, the power play was enough to drive a fan crazy and I am not sure I can stomach another season of watching them just skate around lost with a man advantage. Nice to hear they have improved in faceoffs though. That too was definitely an area they needed to work on in the postseason.

Huselius will help. They just don't have a quarterback on the point that can direct traffic. A couple of times, the fans were yelling at Klesla to shoot, but he had no shooting lane. He's not an offensive-minded defenseman. He can't QB a PP.

That's why I was so adamant about them going after Rolston. Not only is he a terrific even strength player, but he's outstanding on special teams. He plays the point most times on Minnesota's PP. One of his best strengths is to be a good two-way QB on the PP.

As an example, Buffalo runs Ales Kotalik on their PP. Mainly because he has an absolute cannon and I have no doubt that he'd have a shot in the hardest shot contest. But, he's a liability if the team on the PK rushes up the ice. He almost gave up a shorty because he's lost when he plays back there. At least Pominville was a converted defenseman, so he can handle it back there.

I completely agree, the vision in planning that area cannot be understated. It is so easy to wander to various bars, restaurants, and shops before and after a game. Each time I visit Nationwide, I become angry that the same set up wasnt implemented in Cleveland. With the addition of the new Clippers stadium nearby, there is even more to do. For all those who havent been there, you must go to that district, it is great.

Absolutely. The woman and I ate at Ted's Montana Grill, which I later found out to be owned by Ted Turner. The food was terrific. We had a ten-minute wait, but we got to our seats in plenty of time after sitting down around 6. If anyone goes there, have the onion rings. They're phenomenal.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:43 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
jack_tors wrote:I like the Sabres, they are the only team in the East I care about. Fun city to see a game, without a doubt. Are Buffalo fans still booing Afinogenov every time he touches the puck? I was up there for the final game of the 07-08 vs Boston and they wanted him strung from the rafters.

His name is in trade talks every other week. He's so inconsistent. Vanek might be inconsistent, but at least you can still find a way to pencil him in for 35-40 goals. With Afinogenov's off-the-charts talent level, he should be a perennial 30-goal scorer. He just isn't motivated most of the time.

As for booing him, I don't know. Game was in Columbus. I was in HSBC once, quite a few years ago for a game against Dallas which Buffalo won. I'm hoping to make it there once this year. Preferably to see the Capitals and AO, since they only come once to Nationwide.

I should have looked to see where the game was before commenting. Sorry about that. However, if you do head up to Buffalo this season, stop by the Anchor Bar if you havent already. Its like 7 minutes from HSBC Arena and is the birthplace of the Buffalo Wing. The food is excellent and totally worth the short drive before games.

Skating Tripods wrote: Absolutely. The woman and I ate at Ted's Montana Grill, which I later found out to be owned by Ted Turner. The food was terrific. We had a ten-minute wait, but we got to our seats in plenty of time after sitting down around 6. If anyone goes there, have the onion rings. They're phenomenal.

Good to hear that about the Montana Grill, its probably the only place down there I havent eaten at before a game. The Irish bar has good food (forgive me, I forget the name) and last time down there, I ate at the Frog Pig and Wild Boar before the game. I got a pasta dish with peppers and sausage, it was pretty good and the prices were reasonable.

Oh, and if you havent eaten at the Thurman St Cafe in Columbus, that is an absolute must. Its no more than 10 minutes south of the area on Thurman St, right off of High St. The burgers are $8 and are absolutely MASSIVE. Great bar but leave yourself some extra time as it gets busy as hell.

-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Return to The Neutral Zone