Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Kurtis Foster Fractures Femur

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Kurtis Foster Fractures Femur

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:21 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRwAyABEVBE[/youtube]

Another horrific injury in a hockey game. Touch icing directly attributed to it, creating yet another discussion on if no touch icing should be implemented.

Playing in rec leagues, there's no touch icing. I can't say I would be in favor of it in the NHL, despite injuries like this one and the one to Marco Sturm two years ago.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:26 pm

Touch icing is dangerous and redundant.

That you have to touch up to ice the puck actually rewards the team icing it. Many times, the defending team is clearing it w/o much real regard, so why should the attacking line have to touch up when the blue line clears out of desperation? This doesn't happen every time, but more often than it should.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
User avatar
buckeyehoppy
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Lakewood, Ohio

Unread postby Funky Cold Luis Medina » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:25 am

I hate no-touch icing. If they want to change it, they should do what USA Hockey has started at their junior levels and have a modified no-touch icing.

If it's obvious that the touch-up would happen, just whistle it. Basically, it goes by whoever is closest to the puck. If it's the attacking team, wave it off. If it's the defenseman, whistle it. If it's going to be a race right to the puck, whistle it in the interest of safety.

I don't like it, but in the interest of safety, I wouldn't be surprised to see the NHL try it out in the minors or in the preseason. And it's better than a rigid no-touch.
I am the sumo florist, and flowers are my trade.
User avatar
Funky Cold Luis Medina
Insert Title Here
 
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:27 pm
Location: Wichita Falls, TX
Favorite Player: Cory Snyder
Least Favorite Player: Too many to list

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:37 am

buckeyehoppy wrote:Touch icing is dangerous and redundant.

That you have to touch up to ice the puck actually rewards the team icing it. Many times, the defending team is clearing it w/o much real regard, so why should the attacking line have to touch up when the blue line clears out of desperation? This doesn't happen every time, but more often than it should.


One of the new provisions of the CBA in terms of rules and regulations is that the team that iced the puck cannot perform a line change. That's one of the new rules that I like the most.


If they want to implement no touch icing, I would move the icing line back to the far blue line and have the rule written as the puck crossing over four lines instead of three. I want to take as much of the referee's discretion out of it as possible.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:16 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
buckeyehoppy wrote:Touch icing is dangerous and redundant.

That you have to touch up to ice the puck actually rewards the team icing it. Many times, the defending team is clearing it w/o much real regard, so why should the attacking line have to touch up when the blue line clears out of desperation? This doesn't happen every time, but more often than it should.


One of the new provisions of the CBA in terms of rules and regulations is that the team that iced the puck cannot perform a line change. That's one of the new rules that I like the most.


If they want to implement no touch icing, I would move the icing line back to the far blue line and have the rule written as the puck crossing over four lines instead of three. I want to take as much of the referee's discretion out of it as possible.


The line change provision seems fair enough. Why reward the team icing the puck with a line change with a stoppage in play? Take away the line change until they can control the puck and cross center ice.

Seems a bit harsh, but it would also make teams think twice before carelessly stalling the game by clearing the puck the length of the river.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
User avatar
buckeyehoppy
 
Posts: 894
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:54 pm
Location: Lakewood, Ohio

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:06 pm

buckeyehoppy wrote:The line change provision seems fair enough. Why reward the team icing the puck with a line change with a stoppage in play? Take away the line change until they can control the puck and cross center ice.

Seems a bit harsh, but it would also make teams think twice before carelessly stalling the game by clearing the puck the length of the river.


I really like the line change provision. It forces teams to actually control the puck long enough to reward them with a line change.

That, along with the immediate delay of game penalty for a puck that goes directly over the glass in the end zones without touching anything first. Those were two long overdue rules.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
User avatar
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan
 
Posts: 14346
Joined: Tue May 01, 2007 12:27 pm
Location: Cleveland
Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger


Return to The Neutral Zone

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Who is online

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests