Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Steroids in Hockey?????

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Steroids in Hockey?????

Unread postby bks92 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:28 pm

I am not a big hockey fan but with all the steroid talk going around in the NFL and MLB does it exist in hockey? If so how big?

Joens For President!
bks92
Michigan Sucks

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Michigan players

Unread postby Funky Cold Luis Medina » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:12 am

I don't think it's a big problem, but then again, no one thought it was a big problem in baseball before the BALCO raids in 2002 either.

There have been a few obvious juicers in the game, mostly the fighters. Tony Twist, Andrew Peters, John Kordic died from the effects of roids and coke, Lyndon Byers admitted to some use. Aside from fighting, there's not a whole lot in hockey that steroids would seem to help with.

Then again, people said the same about baseball, especially pitchers, for a long time too.
I am the sumo florist, and flowers are my trade.
Funky Cold Luis Medina
Insert Title Here

Favorite Player: Cory Snyder
Least Favorite Player: Too many to list

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:57 am

Sean Hill got suspended for it. To my knowledge, he's the only guy to fail a test.

I know there was a big issue in the NHL with amphetamines in terms of cold medicine. Players would take things like Sudafed before games to help them breathe easier, but when it came out that they increase your heart rate and could cause damage that way, players by and large stopped that practice.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:58 am

Cory Snyder wrote:there's not a whole lot in hockey that steroids would seem to help with.

In terms of muscle regeneration and shortened healing times, sure, steroids would be extremely beneficial. I don't think it's as big of a problem as in baseball, but I'm sure there are people that do it.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:25 am

Brian Berard?
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to The Neutral Zone