Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Zednik Injury

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Zednik Injury

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Did any of the hockey fans catch that the replays of that? Interested on your take as to whether that was a game that should have been postponed from that point.

I know they announced he was stable but shit. There's pools and trails of the man's blood on the ice and the severity of the situation was pretty obvious as was what was wrong.

A lot of players on the ice at te time wanted no part of finishing that thing.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/h ... ml?cnn=yes
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:53 pm

I have decided not to embed the video because it is relatively graphic.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=O1xQM1LTGK0

It was a complete freak accident. It was similar to the Clint Malarchuk incident that also happened in Buffalo in 1989. Had it not been for a quick thinking trainer who applied pressure and helped to close off the artery, Malarchuk may have died on the ice.

Both teams were asked about postponement of the game and they collectively decided to finish it. At that point, there was 10 minutes left in the third period. I really think that they decided to finish the game because of the time left and the fact that the two teams do not play again this season.

As for the ice, the Zamboni would dry scrape it, trying to get as much of the blood off the ice as possible.

Luckily for Zednik, the blade just missed the jugular, right next to the carotid artery. He's resting comfortably now after lifesaving surgery last night to repair the artery, per all the major news sources.

As a hockey player myself, that's my biggest fear. From playing defenseman and going down to block shots or battling in the corners, the face and neck areas are sometimes very vulnerable. When I first saw it, I was definitely shaking. It was a terrible situation for everyone and Zednik's lucky to be alive.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:50 pm

Well TriPods, you can be sure there will be plenty of discussions about making the neck guards mandatory over the next couple weeks.

2 of these injuries in 20 years will have some folks up in arms about the protection to the neck.

Although it really does amaze me that it doesn't happen more often.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:16 pm

Peeker643 wrote:Well TriPods, you can be sure there will be plenty of discussions about making the neck guards mandatory over the next couple weeks.

2 of these injuries in 20 years will have some folks up in arms about the protection to the neck.

Although it really does amaze me that it doesn't happen more often.

For sure.

Not only that, Daniel Cleary of the Red Wings took a slapshot straight to the jaw this week. He had his jaw broken in two places and opted for immediate surgery instead of having it wired shut. Sabres forward Jochen Hecht got hit by a slapshot in the side of the helmet two or three years ago and has partial hearing loss in that ear.

Some Jackets' fans will remember the Bryan Berard incident where he nearly lost all sight in his eye after taking a follow-through stick to the eye socket. It didn't happen while he was a Jacket, but he played with them after his return.

Many young kids that play hockey in their communities or on travel teams are mandated by their leagues to wear neck guards. Alexei Yashin is one of the few NHLers that I can recall that wore one.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:44 pm

Its amazing this doesnt happen more given how many times people fall down fighting for the puck in the corners. Neck guards should be mandatory but hockey players will resist.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:53 pm

Maybe it's time for some enterprising forum readers to devise an effective, safe, better neck guard. From a lot of what I've read players fear heat stroke from the neck guards more than the fear getting cut.

Too restrictive and apparently don't allow heat to dissipate as quickly through the neck of the sweater?

I don't know. I'm not a hockey player. But if it's restrictive it would seem to me more injuries could be caused by limiting vision and movement of the head. Probably better to see an opponent coming than worrying about the very small chance of a laceration.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:04 pm

To be honest, Peek, it's an ego thing. Hockey players like to pride themselves on bruises and scars and things of that sort. As a small example, as a defenseman, I love to block shots. Without fail, the first or second shot I block rings off my ankle or somewhere my shin guard just doesn't reach.

In terms of neck guards, I've never worn one, but I'm sure that they are uncomfortable. As it is, defensemen need that peripheral vision and ability to turn their head quickly when going back on a puck. Neck protection may restrict that, and that is a more dangerous situation, as you pointed out.

As you said, this is two incidents in the past 25-30 years. It really is a freak accident.

Once they conquer requiring players to wear visors, then maybe they can move on the neck guards.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Funky Cold Luis Medina » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:43 pm

As one who has worn a neck guard in the past (I took a puck to the throat in a practice; fortunately it was just lightly flipped and only left a bruise just above my collarbone), they aren't that uncomfortable and don't restrict movement at all. That being said, I don't think they should be required, but I think a lot of players will give more consideration to wearing them.

Jiri Slegr was another who wore one besides Yashin.
I am the sumo florist, and flowers are my trade.
Funky Cold Luis Medina
Insert Title Here

Favorite Player: Cory Snyder
Least Favorite Player: Everyone else

Unread postby Joens » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:12 pm

really scary watching that. its amazing that hes ok and talking now.
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:38 pm

I didn't see the incident and I won't see it, but I will agree with ST and agree that it is a freak accident and an isolated incident.

I suspect the league may look into it, but nothing will come from an investigation.

I can see a GK needing to wear a protection device. He, at any time, may be in the center of some kind of pile up and is the most likely player on the ice to be in danger of a blade to the neck. In the Malachuk incident, he would have died had he been on the other end of the ice because his goal was closer to first aid.

You do want to keep players as safe as possible in any sport, but when you reach the top of the pro game in a sport, I think there is a code to simply play the game and not to worry to much about the details. I suspect the league will agree with that and that wearing prtection will be an optional thing.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:22 am

skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Return to The Neutral Zone