Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Why do americans chant "USA" at hockey games?

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Why do americans chant "USA" at hockey games?

Unread postby Rally Squirl » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:11 pm

Hope im not offending anyone here but.......

Perhaps the biggest clue that half of America is clueless when it comes to the sport. Chanting "USA" at hockey games when a US team plays a Canadian team is a sign of.......well a dumbass

considering there is an average or 2 or 3 Americans on each team, some without ANY american players.

That "US" team that they chant for is TECHNICALLY a Canadian team......or Russian team, just look at the rosters.

Leave the chants for Olympic sports, you make us all look like clueless morons
(yes I know......i spelled "squirrel" wrong :P)
Rally Squirl

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:09 pm

Well, Quebecans in Montreal have booed the Star Spangled Banner. Those American fans feel slighted because hockey is a lot bigger in Canada than it is here. It's happened to me at Monsters games when Manitoba Moose fans come in for the game. I've never chanted, but, it gets people involved.

If American pride offends you, maybe you're in the wrong country?
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Rally Squirl » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:19 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Well, Quebecans in Montreal have booed the Star Spangled Banner. Those American fans feel slighted because hockey is a lot bigger in Canada than it is here. It's happened to me at Monsters games when Manitoba Moose fans come in for the game. I've never chanted, but, it gets people involved.

If American pride offends you, maybe you're in the wrong country?

its not pride, far from it

its a sign you are clueless when you do it
(yes I know......i spelled "squirrel" wrong :P)
Rally Squirl

Unread postby Funky Cold Luis Medina » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:25 pm

Actually the anthem booing has gone on longer than just Montreal. IIRC, Islanders fans and Canucks fans were booing them back in 2001 or so, but I can't remember what started it all.

And either way, booing an anthem or chanting a country name in an NHL game is pretty stupid. An international game I can understand the country chant, but why an NHL game?
I am the sumo florist, and flowers are my trade.
Funky Cold Luis Medina
Insert Title Here

Favorite Player: Cory Snyder
Least Favorite Player: Too many to list

Unread postby Andouble » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:32 pm

I've watched the NHL for many years and also attend quite a few games a year. I've never heard this, ever.
Andouble

Unread postby Andouble » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:39 pm

I stand corrected. Heard it last night during the Boston/Ottawa game. Of course, it was the Boston fans in response to the Habs fans in attendance with their 'ole' chants.
Andouble

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:15 pm

Andouble wrote:I stand corrected. Heard it last night during the Boston/Ottawa game. Of course, it was the Boston fans in response to the Habs fans in attendance with their 'ole' chants.

Shit, the province of Quebec doesn't even like the rest of Canada. They really don't like anybody.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:50 am

Skating Tripods wrote:
Andouble wrote:I stand corrected. Heard it last night during the Boston/Ottawa game. Of course, it was the Boston fans in response to the Habs fans in attendance with their 'ole' chants.

Shit, the province of Quebec doesn't even like the rest of Canada. They really don't like anybody.

I have been to Montreal and to France and can say the French wouldnt even like people from Quebec. Worst 3 Days of my life seriously Montreal sucks dont ever go there. People say "Oh its great the people are nice" thats fucking bullshit.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Return to The Neutral Zone