Text Size

The Neutral Zone

NHL Winter Classic

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

NHL Winter Classic

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Amidst the football orgy that NYD usually is was a breath of fresh air at Ralph Wilson Stadium with Sabres and Pens in the outdoor Winter Hockey Classic.

A great and classic matchup and it lived up to the billing with a SO win by the Pens and Sid The Kid pumping the game winner past Ryan Miller.

The conditions were all over the place and the ice was smoothed between periods (as usual) and halfway through as well and ends were switched halfway through the period in each period, so it was an interesting (and necessary) way to govern the game.

All in all, I hope the NHL will do outdoor hockey at least once every year going forward. Buffalo did a great job hosting the game and the matchup was a winning combination of two up and coming teams.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:01 pm

I am not a hockey fan by any means but I tuned in for a little.
Pretty good idea.

Unread postby Joens » Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:06 pm

is was great watching it in the snow.
Cremincus- Something completely and utterly unbelievable. Published in the B-list 2006
Joens
BQ has no MySpace

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:00 am

I am not a hockey fan but that was an exceptional event to watch for bits and pieces yesterday. Crosby is a great player.
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby Spin » Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:15 pm

I wound up watching more of this game than the college games. If the football games weren't so close, I would have stayed with the hockey.

It's too bad they didn't do this during the bye week between the conference championships and the Super Blow.

Still a good move. I might track down some more hockey games on the redneck elk hunting channel and watch them now. First time in 5+ years.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:13 pm

Naive question: when did Pittsburgh turn into the Houston Oilers? Have they been wearing those unis all year?

(They were pretty nice, but ... it was Pittsburgh. Isn't their whole gimmick that all their teams have the same colors?)
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:34 pm

I was thinking the same thing. I thought it was UCLA or the Chargers on ice. Are those alternate unis?
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:45 pm

Throwbacks to the 70s. Same as what Buffalo wore.

As for the game, it was great for a while, but then it just got annoying for me because Buffalo's my favorite team. I wanted them to just get the two points as the game went on, especially with how they dominated the second period.

I hate shootouts as well. It's not an accurate gage of determining a winner. If you're going to give a point for an OTL, might as well just bring back the tie.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:31 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:Naive question: when did Pittsburgh turn into the Houston Oilers? Have they been wearing those unis all year?

(They were pretty nice, but ... it was Pittsburgh. Isn't their whole gimmick that all their teams have the same colors?)

The baby blue, white and black was the original color scheme from the team's first season in 1967.

The Penguins changed colors in 1979 to coincide with the Steelers and Pirates who had primary colors of black and gold.

Since then, the Pirates have reintroduced red from some of their color schemes a while back while the Pens have gone with a truer gold in their present colors instead of the more yellowish gold of the Pirates and Steelers. While the colors for all three teams in Pittsburgh are relatively the same, over the years they have managed to create subtle differences which make each team distinct at present.
buckeyehoppy

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:04 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Throwbacks to the 70s. Same as what Buffalo wore.

As for the game, it was great for a while, but then it just got annoying for me because Buffalo's my favorite team. I wanted them to just get the two points as the game went on, especially with how they dominated the second period.

I hate shootouts as well. It's not an accurate gage of determining a winner. If you're going to give a point for an OTL, might as well just bring back the tie.

I don't have a real favorite among NHL teams, but I do spend a fair lot of time watching both Buffalo and Pittsburgh on Centre Ice.

Conklin has had two dynamite games in a row against Buffalo and hasn't looked this good since he was in Edmonton.

Crosby is someone who bears watching. He is already at an elite level and will still improve as he moves into his prime. He may well match or eclipse all of Lemieux's accomplishments if he remains in Pittsburgh his entire career.

I do expect Pittsburgh and Buffalo to be around for the playoffs this year. I figured Buffalo would be much tougher down the stretch that at the outset. I also figured they would need time to build chemistry after losing Drury and Briere. They seem to be rounding into form and are starting to get some good minutes out of Campbell and Connelly.

Pittsburgh may well round into form, but there are question marks in goal and with Crosby not really having a legit first-line winger to work with. He works as well as can be expected with Armstrong and Malone, but neither of those two are really more than second-liners.

NHL overtime would work so much better if they did the following:

1) Have two five-minute four-on-four periods instead of one.
2) Have shootouts be best 3-of-5 instead of best 2-of-3.
3a) Only guarantee the point to the loser if they lose in the shootout. Either that or,
3b) Award three points for a regulation win and two for an OT or SO win

I don't mind the SO, but best 2-of-3 isn't enough. If you shoot first and score, then stop the other team and score with your next shooter, you win if you stop only one more. That doesn't seem right after playing for 65 minutes.

Also, if you had two 5-minute 4-on-4 OTs I'd bet that you would have fewer SOs because the 4-on-4 format would force teams to have lines specifically geared toward shorthanded scenarios and would force defensemen to be geared more for the defense than trying to always be more of a blue-line forward. It is also much more wide open and would allow for a more offensively oriented game at that point.

Not that being an offensively minded D is necessarily bad, but I don't see as many Ds in the NHL really steeling themselves as much as they should for that role. The D in the NHL is looked to more often as it should as an all-purpose role instead of letting the wings and centers do the bulk of the scoring.
buckeyehoppy

Return to The Neutral Zone