Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Help an Ignorant Schmoe

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Help an Ignorant Schmoe

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:48 am

How is Ottawa doing this without actual quality goalkeeping?

I'd prefer the Sabres win the Cup because Beefalo is kind of a kindred spirit, but I'd be hard-pressed to come up with a team that got off to a better start than the Sens have thus far ... but I just don't see how they don't flame out in the playoffs. Kind of the Suns of the NHL ...
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:47 pm

Ottawa's skill players keep the puck out of their zone. As a puck possession offense, Emery only has to be moderately good game in and game out. Plus, they have one of the best defensive units in the league.

In other words, Ottawa just controls the puck and sustains so much offensive pressure that they are able to dominate games.

They're good, but they won't keep this torrid pace, and probably don't have the goaltending to go all the way.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:00 pm

I don't know if I would bet on Ottawa falling off without a rebound at some point. I feel the Sens are going to level out during the season, but they are simply too good on that first line to be ignored at any point in the playoffs.

It is helpful to have strong GKing from start to finish, but Carolina won two years ago with Ward doing the bulk of the work and he isn't going to make anyone think they wouldn't be better off with Brodeur. I think the key in G is how hot is the GK during the Cup Playoffs. Ward is only the most recent example of a team riding a hot GK to a Cup win.

As for Buffalo, I felt they would drop off but still be good enough to get in the playoffs. I'm not sure I'll be right on that one right now. They don't have enough D to cover for Miller's glaring weaknesses in G. Miller simply gives away too many soft goals and what the Sabres lost on the attack may make the difference between whether the Sabres get to the playoffs this year or not.

Buffalo should get better, since they are still a fairly young team. But that may not matter this year. Also, we will see if Ruff gets any heat over the team's slow start. Lindy has been boss in Buffalo for 10 years now, so he may be growing long in the tooth. However, I think the Sabres would be making a mistake if they were to launch Lindy.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Re: Help an Ignorant Schmoe

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:57 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:How is Ottawa doing this without actual quality goalkeeping?

The apparent answer: smoke and mirrors.

Anyone else you want me to jinx? I have a lot of experience here.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Re: Help an Ignorant Schmoe

Unread postby buckeyehoppy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:31 am

Steve Buffum wrote:
Steve Buffum wrote:How is Ottawa doing this without actual quality goalkeeping?

The apparent answer: smoke and mirrors.

Anyone else you want me to jinx? I have a lot of experience here.

Who knows whether Emery will have what it takes to get to the finals again. Right now GKing in the NHL seems to be a lost art.

I know Pittsburgh wishes they had a decent goalie, but it will probably take Fleury a couple more years to come into his own.

The one thing working against Ottawa is that even though it's early, they are clearly the weaker conference and it is looking more and more likely that any hot team from the east could coast to the finals.

At the All-Star break, I will be doing a mid-season digest of the biggest surprises (both good and bad) so far and who could be a factor down the stretch.
Cleveland: Where the Tower is Terminal and the Lake is (e)Erie- Alex Bevan
buckeyehoppy

Return to The Neutral Zone