Text Size

The Neutral Zone

We have lockout

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

We have lockout

Unread postby Spin » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:54 pm

Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Re: We have lockout

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:30 am

My son and I were talking and we agreed that if the NHL never played another game, neither of us would give a crap. Soccer too for that matter.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby Spin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:17 am

Thank you for your input.

Hockey and soccer fans couldn't give a shit less what non-fans think. But thanks anyway.
Spin

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:09 am

Like I said in another thread, I don't give a shit. Upgrades the quality of the AHL product right in our backyard. Unfortunately, doesn't seem like Gabriel Landeskog will play here, but several other good young players have been sent to the AHL. Will be fun to watch those guys.

I don't watch a lot of NHL hockey anyway. Maybe go to one Jackets game per year. Maybe. Just have other things to do and watch in the fall/winter.

NHL is in trouble. Saw a report the other day that nearly half of their revenue stream is from attendance. Escalating ticket prices and still no major TV deal are major problems for them at this point. Add in another lockout to remove some casual fans.

Is what it is. Revenue sharing and player safety are recurring issues. Even when they play this season, the nature of these lockouts is cyclical. There'll be another one when this CBA expires. Last CBA was made without enough foresight. Now, it's a recurring theme.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:10 pm

New age sports: the NHL, NBA and NFL will have lockouts every single CBA expiration.

Only the MLB will avoid lockouts because without a salary cap the great players are free to be compensated (unlike any other sports) and the great young players are free to get shit on salary wise and enable small market clubs to prosper fiscally while still putting sometimes interesting teams on the field. When Big (or temporarily prospering markets) are free to spend a bunch of money and still carry a profit margin and there is a structure in place that allows small markets to play the window game no one wants to disrupt the everyone getting richiness of it.

My favorite part of the NHL lockout (which I posted on the inevitability of it many times during the NBA lockout) is all of the non-NBA fans that ran around pointing at the NHL system as perfect and what the NBA needed. All of these systems are problematic in their own unique way.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:21 pm

Spin wrote:Thank you for your input.
Hockey and soccer fans couldn't give a shit less what non-fans think. But thanks anyway.

Did you mean to put the "s" on the end of fans? That indicates plural, like there are multiple peeps that care. Lacross and volleyball suck too.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby Spin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:40 pm

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:
Spin wrote:Thank you for your input.

Did you mean to put the "s" on the end of fans? That indicates plural, like there are multiple peeps that care. Lacross and volleyball suck too.

Welcome to the Neutral Zone, where you'll see several people enjoying talking about hockey.

Sometimes I wish I had time to go to forums of sports I don't care for, and try to shit on their forum. But I have a life. Aw hell, even if I didn't have a life, I'm pretty sure I could find something else to do with my time. I know that makes me different from the typical poster, but I like different.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:54 pm

I've watched hockey for 30+ years, I got hooked when the Pens and Oilers (Gretzky era) played pre-season games at the Coliseum. For a couple years the Pens and Wings played neutral-site regular season games there.

I won't mention who I have followed all this time. But I have yet to follow the Blue Jackoffs or attend a game. I've never had a reason to. I was looking forward to going to the all star game there this year though, if they play.

I followed the Lumberjacks and the IHL, until they tried to be the NHL. I haven't watched minor league hockey since. I do catch Junior A games in Wooster and college games. But have never had an interest in the Barons or the Monsters. Maybe I won't have a choice.

The restructuring from previous lockout put a band aid on a lot of the league's problems, temporarily. Especially once the economy tanked. I'm thinking it's time to put a few franchises out of their misery. They've never been viable, and never will be. Salaries need brought into check with what growth the league has on NBCSN.

No easy solutions.
Spin

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:47 pm

http://www.theclevelandfan.com/misc/gen ... ning-night

My Lake Erie Monsters season preview will be posted Friday afternoon. Some recognizable names will be playing on various AHL teams, including Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Sean Couturier, Adam Henrique, and others. No real big names for the Monsters. There was an outside chance that Gabriel Landeskog was going to play for them, and likely would have if he was North American-born, but he opted to play in his native country of Sweden.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:16 pm

50-50 split was proposed by NHL, full 82 game season would start on November 2nd if accepted. Sounds like we may have a season.

Now the CBJ have to go out and land John Davidson, he met with the team again this past weekend and is quoted as saying 'It was a good weekend'.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Good. I'm hoping they get this resolved soon.

I keep hearing Davidson would be an excellent hire, so I'm hoping that gets done.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Return to The Neutral Zone