Text Size

The Neutral Zone

NHL Draft / Trades

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

NHL Draft / Trades

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:44 pm

Jackets acquire Bobrovsky from Philly for draft picks....

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=635577&navid=DL|NHL|home
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Re: NHL Draft / Trades

Unread postby StewieG » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:14 pm

Everything I've read about the kid says "works hard, good head on his shoulders, lots of potential". So...yay?
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:06 pm

Bobrovsky doesn't excite me. What excites me more is Oscar Dansk and Joonas Korpisalo, the Blue Jackets 2nd and 3rd round picks. Both goaltenders, both from countries and programs that are very good at developing goaltenders, Sweden and Finland. There's a chance that one or both come to North America to play in the OHL next year.

Dansk is one to watch. I hope Korpisalo becomes at least a very competent backup.

As far as Ryan Murray, right pick, very little bust potential. I think he was the smart, safe, easy play but a guy who will be here sooner rather than later. He's already very mature in size, intelligence, and skill. He may even be a Jacket on opening night.

Admittedly, I know nothing about Josh Anderson, Daniel Zaar, or Gianluca Curcuruto (except that he has an awesome name).

They got a shutdown defenseman, two very good goalie prospects, and should have had meaningful discussions about the future trade of Rick Nash. That's a solid weekend.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:19 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Bobrovsky doesn't excite me. What excites me more is Oscar Dansk and Joonas Korpisalo, the Blue Jackets 2nd and 3rd round picks. Both goaltenders, both from countries and programs that are very good at developing goaltenders, Sweden and Finland. There's a chance that one or both come to North America to play in the OHL next year.

Dansk is one to watch. I hope Korpisalo becomes at least a very competent backup.

As far as Ryan Murray, right pick, very little bust potential. I think he was the smart, safe, easy play but a guy who will be here sooner rather than later. He's already very mature in size, intelligence, and skill. He may even be a Jacket on opening night.

Admittedly, I know nothing about Josh Anderson, Daniel Zaar, or Gianluca Curcuruto (except that he has an awesome name).

They got a shutdown defenseman, two very good goalie prospects, and should have had meaningful discussions about the future trade of Rick Nash. That's a solid weekend.

Do you think the Pens got decent value for Jordan Staal?
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:57 am

HATED the Bobrovosky deal. Dude better be good to justify giving up those picks.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:44 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:Do you think the Pens got decent value for Jordan Staal?

God, yes. I hate that deal for Carolina. They gave up three really good assets for a player they'd have gotten in free agency in after the upcoming season anyway. Sure, he'll sign a long-term deal to play with his brother, but Shero owned Rutherford.

I just don't get it. Sutter's a terrific two-way #2 center, Dumoulin's developing really nicely AND a top ten pick? For a guy who's an unrestricted free agent on July 1, 2013 that will sign cheap with you anyway?

Horrendous, horrendous move by Rutherford to me. Makes the Canes top heavy at forward, but it also sets them back a little bit in terms of depth and overall team strength.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:47 pm

Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:20 pm

Is there a worse executive in North American Sports then Howson...? Is there even a close second?
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:36 pm

Wow.

Stunning.

You know, Griffin Reinhart, Mathew Dumba, Morgan Rielly...all of those guys could be as good or better than Ryan Murray. I really like everything I've read about Ryan Murray. But to turn down 6 lottery tickets is absurdly stupid, especially after you traded picks away for a mediocre goaltender with consistency issues.

Terrible.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:42 pm

skatingtripods wrote:Wow.

Stunning.

You know, Griffin Reinhart, Mathew Dumba, Morgan Rielly...all of those guys could be as good or better than Ryan Murray. I really like everything I've read about Ryan Murray. But to turn down 6 lottery tickets is absurdly stupid, especially after you traded picks away for a mediocre goaltender with consistency issues.

Terrible.

The best part is it was only a 2-pick difference. It'd be more understandable if they were trying to jump from say #15 to 2, but 4 to 2 isn't worth an entire draft?

It's times like this I'm glad I don't blindly follow every Ohio sports team.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:06 pm

Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:18 pm

When I first read the report, I thought there is no way this could be true, no one could be this incompetent. But nope , it is true , multiple sources on top of Yahoo have picked it up. Ryan Murry better be the second coming of Nicklas Lidstrom.

I remember hearing a rumor that David Stern stepped in and told the Dolans that Isaiah Thomas had to go for the good of the NBA. I hope Bettmann can knock some sense into McConnell, in the same manner.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:11 pm

Govbarney wrote:When I first read the report, I thought there is no way this could be true, no one could be this incompetent. But nope , it is true , multiple sources on top of Yahoo have picked it up. Ryan Murry better be the second coming of Nicklas Lidstrom.

I remember hearing a rumor that David Stern stepped in and told the Dolans that Isaiah Thomas had to go for the good of the NBA. I hope Bettmann can knock some sense into McConnell, in the same manner.

Bettman doesn't care about the Jackets. At all. With impending CBA talks, having to take over ownership of the New Jersey Devils, still trying to figure out the Phoenix dilemma...Columbus is below buying toilet paper on Bettman's list of things to address.

It's not Howson's first mistake, it won't be his last. I'd rather focus on how they took Dansk and Korpisalo and how one of them should develop into a competent starting goaltender within the next 3-5 years. Hopefully, Dansk thrives in his first season in North America next year.

His legacy won't be determined by the NYI offer he passed on. It'll be determined by the return he gets for Rick Nash.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:30 pm

They better get the the MOA hauls for Nash.

Howson should be working at the Citgo. Gov get's that, he listens to the awful sports radio in this town.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:35 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:They better get the the MOA hauls for Nash.

Howson should be working at the Citgo. Gov get's that, he listens to the awful sports radio in this town.

Doesn't really take local sports talk radio to know Howson sucks at his job. He's the laughing stock of the NHL media all the time.

Wyshynski laid into him pretty good today/yesterday in the Puck Daddy Blog. Deadspin got him today.

It's a mess. He, and the McConnell son's apathy, is killing the franchise. I honestly think Craig Patrick's the GM by October, especially if they hire another big name.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby StewieG » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:18 pm

McConnell is the problem. Howson can't help the fact that he's a moron. McConnell should have fired him a long time ago and hired someone - anyone - competent. The fact that he hasn't tells me all I need to know about McConnell.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby Govbarney » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:59 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:They better get the the MOA hauls for Nash.

There is no possible way CBJ don't come off as losers in the Nash trade, even with a competent GM that's a tough trade to win , but with Howson it's going to be a train wreck.

As for Cbus sports radio all I have to say is that Neft if Okay... but Common Man & the Torg , Not so much. It amazes me that the Cbus flagship couldn't find Ohio guys to host their drive time show, instead they went with two hacks from Chicago, and Minnesota, who steal bits like "buy or sell", and "would you rather". Only radio station worth a damn in Cbus is CD 101. But personally I am glad I have XM.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:00 am

Govbarney wrote:There is no possible way CBJ don't come off as losers in the Nash trade, even with a competent GM that's a tough trade to win , but with Howson it's going to be a train wreck.

That all depends. Thus far, he's held strong in what his demands have been for Nash. The problem is, after he and Nash had that blowout back around the trade deadline, he lost all of his leverage. Other GMs know that Howson will have to eventually settle for a lesser return.

If he doesn't cave, the Jackets can salvage the deal. If he caves, look out below.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:32 am

I was really hoping John Davidson would get hired by the CBJ before they let Howson push anymore buttons especially with the Nash trade. I was even hoping the hiring of Davidson might persuade Nash into sticking it out.

But I have not heard anything since his interview with the team in early June, my guess is he doesn't want anything to do with this Hindenburg.
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:35 pm

Govbarney wrote: As for Cbus sports radio all I have to say is that Neft if Okay... but Common Man & the Torg , Not so much. It amazes me that the Cbus flagship couldn't find Ohio guys to host their drive time show, instead they went with two hacks from Chicago, and Minnesota, who steal bits like "buy or sell", and "would you rather". Only radio station worth a damn in Cbus is CD 101. But personally I am glad I have XM.

Neft is a funny nerd.

And don't tell me you don't love it when tCM&tT talk about WWE wrestling...... on sports radio. Or hearing how the Torg's wife sold his beloved Summerslam chair.

The Urban Meyer 3:16 thing is kinda funny though.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Return to The Neutral Zone