Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Blue Jackets Trade Speculation

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Blue Jackets Trade Speculation

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:31 pm

The rumor mills are heating up in response to Rusty Klesla being back on the shelf and a possible concussion to Kristian Huselius.

According to Puck Rakers and other blogs around the league, the Jackets are looking at Toronto, Ottawa, and Atlanta as possible trade partners. New GM Brian Burke in Toronto is looking to move some of the veterans and this includes Pavel Kubina and Tomas Kaberle. Both are sound offensive defensemen, but they also have no-trade clauses. Nik Antropov, a 6'6" centerman, has also had his name thrown about.

From Ottawa, Antoine Vermette is the name. Supposedly, Ottawa newspaper reporters have mentioned Kris Russell and draft picks as potential returns.

I'll be sure to keep this thread around as more news is found.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Re: Blue Jackets Trade Speculation

Unread postby jack_tors » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:20 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:The rumor mills are heating up in response to Rusty Klesla being back on the shelf and a possible concussion to Kristian Huselius.

According to Puck Rakers and other blogs around the league, the Jackets are looking at Toronto, Ottawa, and Atlanta as possible trade partners. New GM Brian Burke in Toronto is looking to move some of the veterans and this includes Pavel Kubina and Tomas Kaberle. Both are sound offensive defensemen, but they also have no-trade clauses. Nik Antropov, a 6'6" centerman, has also had his name thrown about.

From Ottawa, Antoine Vermette is the name. Supposedly, Ottawa newspaper reporters have mentioned Kris Russell and draft picks as potential returns.

I'll be sure to keep this thread around as more news is found.

I wouldnt mind Kubina or Kaberle as they would provide the blue line talent this team has been lacking since it was created. That being said, any idea what Toronto wants for one of those guys?
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:45 pm

I'm thinking Voracek is the person that they will look at most. After that, Maxim Mayorov. I would think that Filatov and the CBJ 1st are untouchable.

Kris Russell has a lot of upside. He's been mentioned for Vermette, but not for Kubina or Kaberle.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:31 pm

Looks like the Jackets pulled the trigger on a deal with Atlanta.

Columbus Gets:
Jason Williams-Center

Atlanta Gets:
2009 6th round pick
Clay Wilson- Defenseman

Not sure what to make of this deal since I am not familiar with Wilson. Williams seems more like a role player but I dont know a ton about him since I never bothered watching him since I loathe all things Detroit.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby skatingtripods » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:33 am

jack_tors wrote:Looks like the Jackets pulled the trigger on a deal with Atlanta.

Columbus Gets:
Jason Williams-Center

Atlanta Gets:
2009 6th round pick
Clay Wilson- Defenseman

Not sure what to make of this deal since I am not familiar with Wilson. Williams seems more like a role player but I dont know a ton about him since I never bothered watching him since I loathe all things Detroit.

Talked about this quite a bit on last night's show. If you get a chance to listen, check it out.

Williams can play the point on the PP and is a right handed shot. I think the move is two-fold. First, provides secondary scoring when Nash is back and on the top line with Huselius. Second, what I said above. PP QB with a right handed shot.

The knock on Williams is that he can get lazy at times, so consistency is an issue. If Malhotra sticks with Huselius, as he should after how they looked together last game, I could see Williams on a line with Peca and someone like an Andrew Murray or Jake Voracek.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:23 pm

This is kind of off topic but a Blue Jackets question. The last I saw he was traded to Edmonton, but what went wrong with Gilbert Brule? From what I read a couple years back some were saying he was arguably the second best player taken in his draft class. Was he that big of a bust in that little of time to give up on, or injury prone on top of that?
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby skatingtripods » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:35 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:This is kind of off topic but a Blue Jackets question. The last I saw he was traded to Edmonton, but what went wrong with Gilbert Brule? From what I read a couple years back some were saying he was arguably the second best player taken in his draft class. Was he that big of a bust in that little of time to give up on, or injury prone on top of that?

Brule was often injured and his development was ruined. They rushed him to the NHL and tried to change his game way too much. The organization really made a back move with that pick. Torres and Brule was a trade where both teams felt that each guy needed a change of scenery.

Many people, when he was drafted, felt that Brule was going to be very good for a very long time for the Jackets. Unfortunately, they were wrong, and the organization really mishandled his talent.

As a side note, I'll have a front page piece up about the Jackets trade deadline and the stretch run shortly.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:00 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:This is kind of off topic but a Blue Jackets question. The last I saw he was traded to Edmonton, but what went wrong with Gilbert Brule? From what I read a couple years back some were saying he was arguably the second best player taken in his draft class. Was he that big of a bust in that little of time to give up on, or injury prone on top of that?

Brule was often injured and his development was ruined. They rushed him to the NHL and tried to change his game way too much. The organization really made a back move with that pick. Torres and Brule was a trade where both teams felt that each guy needed a change of scenery.

Many people, when he was drafted, felt that Brule was going to be very good for a very long time for the Jackets. Unfortunately, they were wrong, and the organization really mishandled his talent.

As a side note, I'll have a front page piece up about the Jackets trade deadline and the stretch run shortly.

Shapiro and Wedge run the Jackets too?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to The Neutral Zone