Text Size

The Neutral Zone

Sean Avery Suspension

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

Sean Avery Suspension

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:03 pm

Sean Avery was suspended indefinitely for "conduct detrimental to the game of hockey". Avery made crude comments about an ex-girlfriend dating a player of the opposing team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Avery-makes-sloppy-seconds-crack-in-Calgary-f;_ylt=AntDqJn0rW5JKQBNSl3aMUR7vLYF?urn=nhl,126282

I hate the guy but have to laugh at the comment. Not sure it warrants an indefinitely suspension though.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Re: Sean Avery Suspension

Unread postby skatingtripods » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:26 pm

I think it's more to protect Avery from having his head ripped off by Dion Phaneuf tonight.

The Stars aren't dicking around about it either, with owner Tom Hicks saying, "Had the league not have suspended him, the Dallas Stars would have. This organization will not tolerate such behavior, especially from a member of our hockey team. We hold our team to a higher standard and will continue to do so."

He's quite an asshole and this is just another feather in his cap.

We'll definitely be talking about this on the show on Thursday night.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby BDFD » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:48 pm

I need to preface this with I do not watch hockey. At all. I went to a Lumberjacks game once and had a great time. I have no business in this forum.

I heard Rome talking about this today. He and his interviewee were saying how horrible this was and it broke the code and guys were coming for him and he needed to go (in a nutshell). He never reset exactly what was going on. I thought they guy publically slandered Lord Stanley or said how he hates Canada or he wanted to off his coach or SOMETHING. I came back to the office, read the comment, chuckled, and said to myself 'That was it?!'

I get he is an a-hole. I get that you can't say what he said. But what is the deal? (drawing upon my inner Jerry Seinfeld)
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:22 pm

I enjoy hockey but not to the level some folks here do. That said, this was a lifetime achievement award of a suspension for Avery.

And he'll be fortunate if Jack Bauer doesn't slice him and dice him in defending his daughter's honor.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:28 pm

Stars goaltender Marty Turco said before Avery was suspended, "He better show up like a man (tonight)" in reference to what Avery said.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

Fact is, Sean Avery is a schmuck. The guy's a decent hockey player when he shuts up and plays the game. His antics of waving his stick back and forth in front of Martin Brodeur last year instigated a new rule this season in the NHL about being in front of the goaltender.

Bettman's trying to draw the line here. The National Hockey League is a sport that cannot withstand negative press. As a hockey player myself, there are certain stigmas about them as people and as athletes, see the whole Bristol Palin-Levi Johnston episode, that have to be overcome. It's a sport that has a limited casual fan base.

More than anything though, like I alluded to in my last post, this "indefinite" suspension was mostly done to keep Dion Phaneuf, who is one tough customer, from ripping Avery's head off and starting a brawl, or worse, another Bertuzzi-like incident.

Mike Modano added this, "Certainly it’ll be a situation we’ll have to address when it comes,” Mike Modano said. “If it does." That's the team leader talking. There's a relationship among hockey players that most sports can rarely touch. If you violate that in your own locker room, you are really on your own. Sean Avery is on his own.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:27 pm

Sean Avery is a piece of shit of T.O. like proportions. He brings nothing to the game fuck him. Ship him off to Siberia see if they give a shit about Elisa Cuthbert (sp?).
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:55 am

Done in Dallas. You know how big an asshole you have to be for teams to overlook considerable talent. An asshole of epic proportions as CD noted.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=3768552
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:51 pm

Suffice to say, the Stars are definitely at fault for this as well. Sure, that was the market rate for a player of Avery's caliber, a guy who can be really helpful to a team when he keeps his mouth shut, but they really should have given themselves a better escape clause or a cheap buyout in the event that he get suspended by the team or the league for something such as this. But now they may lose out on close to $16M. That's brutal in the NHL. Totally brutal.
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby jack_tors » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:13 pm

Skating Tripods wrote:Suffice to say, the Stars are definitely at fault for this as well. Sure, that was the market rate for a player of Avery's caliber, a guy who can be really helpful to a team when he keeps his mouth shut, but they really should have given themselves a better escape clause or a cheap buyout in the event that he get suspended by the team or the league for something such as this. But now they may lose out on close to $16M. That's brutal in the NHL. Totally brutal.

Thats a good point because its not like this event was totally unexpected. Hull definitely showed some stupidity for leaving himself no financially sound way out of that contract. As a Stars fan, I was surprised by the signing, especially the length of the deal, but thought Avery would bring a needed edge to this team. Apparently, I was dead wrong as he has proved to be a bigger cancer than anyone thought. At least he has his fashion career to fall back on, lol.
“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Return to The Neutral Zone