Text Size

The Neutral Zone

2014 NHL Playoffs

The place to talk hockey. NHL banter, discussions on the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Lake Erie Monsters, and college hockey.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, skatingtripods

2014 NHL Playoffs

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:21 am

Far more a casual fan than some but this time of year is why.

Anyone watch the 'Hawks-Blues last night? That first OT was some of the most open, entertaining hockey I've ever watched.

And I thought the Jackets gave the Pens everything they could handle Wednesday night and physically dominated the hockey game. Wondering what the cumulative effect will be on Pittsburgh physically and CBJ mentally. Seems like the Pens always have 6 skaters on the ice thhe way they dominate possession and swarm in the offensive end and sure seemed like the Jackets plan was to hit every one of them all night long.

I think CBJ gets a couple games but games like Wednesday, when they're there for the taking, have to be taken. Thought Bob was mediocre at best and he's going to have to be a lot better if CBJ are going to have a legit shot.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: 2014 NHL Playoffs

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:43 pm

Pens fans believe CBJ has no chance, and that Wednesday was there chance to steal one and they didn't. I can't see CBJ getting two games in this series. And CBJ outhitting Pittsburgh will probably continue, that's not Pittsburgh's game. If Crosby doesn't let Dubinsky get in his head, the physical won't do to much to the Pens. They are more of a skill and speed based team, except for their older D-men (Orpik and Scuderi). One way the Jackets will have a chance to stay in games is if the Pens D and young forwards continue to turn the puck over (Letang, Bennett), but the Pittsburgh fans aren't too worried and feel that the three goals CBJ scored weren't Fleury's fault and instead of melting down like he has in the past couple of playoffs, he seemed to get stronger. Another pro for Columbus is Pittsburgh's coach Dan Bylsma, who a lot of Pens fans feel gives ice time to vets over younger and faster guys, and demotes young guys too fast after a mistake (Bennett in game 1 from line 1 to line 3). I go to a lot of Pens games and wouldn't be shocked if they lose to NYR or Philly in round 2 and the coach and possibly even GM Ray Shero get canned, but I think game 1 will wake them up. They beat Columbus not even playing their best. I'd be shocked if they lost this series.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:58 am

Was at the game tonight, I will have to say, the Jackets by far looked hungrier. Pittsburgh is looking like a team that thinks they can just waltz through this series and win it. After they were up 3-1 they looked like a Pat Shurmur coached team happy to sit on a 7-6 lead. Their stars seemed to only try at times, made careless passes, and seemed to just stand around at times, like on the OT goal. I gained a newfound respect for Columbus tonight, they definitely want it more. Sometimes the Penguins best players are their worst players.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:59 am

Jackets were excellent from the second period onward and easily the best team (overturning a 15-4 shot deficit to finish with more shots on goal). It was an exciting game and I was elated when they won it in 2OT. Meant a lot to the players and they clearly wanted it more.

Key was the penalty kill. Jackets parked a bus in front of the goal and Pens (league's best on the man advantage) went 1-9 on PP

We have a series

Nationwide Arena will be pulsating and LOUD!!
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:43 am

I said to CDT last night the Pens remind me of Barcelona. Skilled and talented beyond all opponents but less thrilled with getting an elbow to the throat or a shot to the ribs than most. Kept waiting for Jackets goals to be the wake up call to Pens who should be up 2-0.

Instead they never responded, BOB made two huge saves and Dubinsky once again out played Sid Crosby just as he did in game 1. Looking forward too to the next Letang turnover. Guy is like a bakery counter.

Pens better wake the fuck up.

Or not. Not would be great.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:52 am

Dubinskey really gave Crosby a working over last night's game. He's has been a great impact player coming over from the Nash trade
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:43 pm

British_Pharaoh wrote:Jackets were excellent from the second period onward and easily the best team (overturning a 15-4 shot deficit to finish with more shots on goal). It was an exciting game and I was elated when they won it in 2OT. Meant a lot to the players and they clearly wanted it more.

Key was the penalty kill. Jackets parked a bus in front of the goal and Pens (league's best on the man advantage) went 1-9 on PP

We have a series

Nationwide Arena will be pulsating and LOUD!!

There will be a decent Pittsburgh contingency there too, just not as many if it were a weekend game. As a Pittsburgh fan, one good thing that will come out of losing this series is Dan Bylsma will finally be canned. And possibly GM Ray Shero as well.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:17 pm

Sports do not get any better than Game 4 tonight. To take a standing 8 count down 3-0 and come back to win that in OT was inconceivable at one point. And Umberger selling out to block the shot in OT, the diving poke to send the puck ahead and the Foligno knuckleball that Fleury looked like shit on?

Come on.

And thanks to Fleury for also non-chalanting the puck behind the net with 23 seconds left and CBJ with an empty net. What a shitpile of a sequence for that knucklehead.

May it eat away at him for another week.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby StewieG » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:27 pm

That was awesome. At least 1 more game in Columbus. This feels like it's going 7.

Serious question: Should Pitts bench Fleury? He's let in some really weak goals, especially the last couple games. I looked up their backup: some guy named Jeff Zatkoff. I'm not the most knowledgeable hockey fan, but I've never heard of this guy.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:00 am

StewieG wrote:That was awesome. At least 1 more game in Columbus. This feels like it's going 7.

Serious question: Should Pitts bench Fleury? He's let in some really weak goals, especially the last couple games. I looked up their backup: some guy named Jeff Zatkoff. I'm not the most knowledgeable hockey fan, but I've never heard of this guy.

He's not getting benched, he was stellar til 23 seconds left in the game, if they go with Zatkoff, they're throwing in the towel, you can argue Fleury has been their MVP. The D has been shit in front of him basically all series and Malkin and Crosby still haven't decided to show up yet.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:02 am

TouchEmAllTime wrote:
StewieG wrote:That was awesome. At least 1 more game in Columbus. This feels like it's going 7.

He's not getting benched, he was stellar til 23 seconds left in the game, if they go with Zatkoff, they're throwing in the towel, you can argue Fleury has been their MVP. The D has been shit in front of him basically all series and Malkin and Crosby still haven't decided to show up yet.

It also helps you guys that your team responds to your coach, while Dan Bylsma is an idiot.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:42 am

When Game 3 and 4 tix first went on sale, you were required to have an Ohio address to purchase them. I think that lasted for like the first 4 days. This helped keep the number of Penguin fans down.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:27 pm

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:When Game 3 and 4 tix first went on sale, you were required to have an Ohio address to purchase them. I think that lasted for like the first 4 days. This helped keep the number of Penguin fans down.

It was a great idea , they put out a pre-sale code to people who have purchased CBJ tickets before with a Ohio zip code. Even without it I doubt you would have seen a huge influx of Penguins fans (something I was originally legit worried about). There was just so many CBJ fans around the arena for the atmosphere alone (which was OSU football esq), what that pre-sale did was prevented the secondary market from getting ahold of to many tickets and hiking up the price for the average fan.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:18 pm

Thought the Jackets came out flat in Game 5 and had the pace and style dictated. Moreso than Pens will normally do to you. Even thought the Pens showed a desperate side and were more physical than Jackets in Game 5.

Better cut the number of shots Bob has to face by 20-25% too. He wasn't brilliant Saturday but he was pretty damn good and they still got beaten up. Hoping to see some controlled desperation tomorrow night.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:54 pm

I predict a fight within the first 2 minutes after the BS they pulled on Bob, particularly the high stick near the end. I might take my son down to the Arena District just to watch the game somewhere and soak up some atmosphere.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:17 pm

Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:31 am

Well, I don't know if the Jackets are better than most people thought, the Pens are even more gutless than most people thought or if it's a mix of both. But that series, along with Blackhawks vs. Blues, was about as good as you can get from a first round series.

Nearly every first round series had drama, actually.

And for the Jackets to come back from down 4-0 in Game 6 to scare the shit out of Pittsburgh and having a chance to tie with 2+ minutes left, well, that was simply impressive and showed just how tough that CBJ team is mentally and physically.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:09 pm

Very fun season, I'm really optimistic going fwd with this club.

Top 3 off season priorities
1)Lock up Joey
2)Lock up BoB ( I think he has earned his keep )
3)Figure out what to do with Wiz... I am torn on this one, I really like Wiz, but I am not sure if his style of play matches well with this team.

sidenote: How would this series have looked different with a healthy Horton???
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:43 pm

Govbarney wrote:Very fun season, I'm really optimistic going fwd with this club.

Top 3 off season priorities
1)Lock up Joey
2)Lock up BoB ( I think he has earned his keep )
3)Figure out what to do with Wiz... I am torn on this one, I really like Wiz, but I am not sure if his style of play matches well with this team.

sidenote: How would this series have looked different with a healthy Horton???

I don't think Horton would have made a two game difference, but he has come through in the playoffs in the past. You guys have a nice up and coming squad and getting a couple playoff w's should be something to build on, although I thought that of the Islanders last year. The Jackets showed great effort and heart, hopefully this is just the beginning of a new rivalry with the new Metropolitan division in effect. Some people think Crosby is hurt, and if that comes out in the wash later, that could have made a difference as well. I don't know much about Todd Richards, but the way this team plays, it seems as if they respond to him. If Bob stays consistent, this could be an annual playoff team.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby StewieG » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:25 pm

From what I've heard they have some nice young players coming up the pipes. If Murray makes as big of a leap as Johansen made, the future looks very bright for CBus hockey.

Before the Jackets entered the league I was a casual Penguins fan. I liked hockey (didn't love it), but would hope the Pens did well. When the Jackets started play, I followed them casually as well. I considered them my favorite team but still wanted Pittsburgh to do well (because they were in separate conferences and the Jackets weren't going anywhere). This year I very much rooted for the Jackets, and stopped rooting for the Pens. And after this series I fucking hate the Penguins. I think we've finally found our rival.
StewieG

Favorite Player: Delonte MF'in West
Least Favorite Player: LeQuit

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sun May 04, 2014 3:41 am

Montreal's epic bedshitting today just lost them this series vs. Boston. Carey Andre-Fleury is not an elite goaltender by any means. Canada was fortunate they got him during a hot streak during the Olympics.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:56 am

TouchEmAllTime wrote:Montreal's epic bedshitting today just lost them this series vs. Boston. Carey Andre-Fleury is not an elite goaltender by any means. Canada was fortunate they got him during a hot streak during the Olympics.

That was something else.

Apparently the Canadiens weren't paying attention to the "Don't take a 3-1 lead in a game" thing ;-) ;) :wink: Because they scores with 13 minutes left in 3rd to make it 3-1 and within less than about 7 minutes Boston was up 4-3.

The Pens HAD to have that game last night too. They got it. Looks like Crosby is waking up some as well.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Tue May 06, 2014 4:18 pm

Crosby's playing good now, Fleury's had consecutive shutouts, the Pens d is playing a little better, especially Letang, and the Rangers are dragging. This one might be over in five, six tops. And if they play like they have the last two games, they have a good chance to beat Boston, for sure Montreal, preferably it will be Montreal.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Mon May 12, 2014 1:42 pm

TouchEmAllTime wrote:Crosby's playing good now, Fleury's had consecutive shutouts, the Pens d is playing a little better, especially Letang, and the Rangers are dragging. This one might be over in five, six tops. And if they play like they have the last two games, they have a good chance to beat Boston, for sure Montreal, preferably it will be Montreal.

Pens are toast.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:05 am

TouchEmAllTime wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:Crosby's playing good now, Fleury's had consecutive shutouts, the Pens d is playing a little better, especially Letang, and the Rangers are dragging. This one might be over in five, six tops. And if they play like they have the last two games, they have a good chance to beat Boston, for sure Montreal, preferably it will be Montreal.

Pens are toast.

If so, good. They're gutless, soft, unlikeable and I have zero respect for them.

Love to see Martin St Louis have another big game and keep Rangers in it. "Deserves got nothing to do with it" but that guy is everything the Pens ain't. Undrafted to MVP and to give that performance Sunday, on Mother's Day, a few days after his mom died? Well, that was pretty fucking cool.

And then give me a Subban goal late in the 3rd to beat the Bruins in Boston so the irony is rich and thick for Bruins fans.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Tue May 13, 2014 4:28 pm

peeker643 wrote:
TouchEmAllTime wrote:

Pens are toast.

If so, good. They're gutless, soft, unlikeable and I have zero respect for them.

Love to see Martin St Louis have another big game and keep Rangers in it. "Deserves got nothing to do with it" but that guy is everything the Pens ain't. Undrafted to MVP and to give that performance Sunday, on Mother's Day, a few days after his mom died? Well, that was pretty fucking cool.

And then give me a Subban goal late in the 3rd to beat the Bruins in Boston so the irony is rich and thick for Bruins fans.

I've been to twelve games this year and I'm slowly starting to hate them from top to bottom. Even if they win tonight, they need a major shake up going into next year. They don't have the balls to do it, but I'd trade Crosby, they really haven't done anything in five years with him. But since that will never happen I'd start with the coach, GM and goalie and go from there. I wouldn't mind Super Mario selling the team since he brought this country club attitude with him, but the team for the time being is a cash cow.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:37 am

Guess ya get what you deserve when the only time during a series you play balls to the wall were with five minutes to play in 3rd period and trailing 2-1. THEN they showed some fire and some intensity and some physicality.

But only out of desperation.

And it wasn't enough because Lundqvist was just better.

That team better look deep and honestly at itself.

Still, kind of a sick feeling pulling for the Rangers ;-) ;) :wink:

Go Habs!

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Mon May 19, 2014 1:34 pm

Carey Price out for the remainder of the ECF's, yikes.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue May 20, 2014 10:26 am

TouchEmAllTime wrote:Carey Price out for the remainder of the ECF's, yikes.

Yep. Unless Lundquist is killed between today and Thursday night, this series is done.

Canadiens losing Price and first two at home, well, that's not going to be easy to get back into the series.

Woulda been a fun series if Price hadn't gotten plowed.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sat May 24, 2014 10:21 pm

peeker643 wrote:

Yep. Unless Lundquist is killed between today and Thursday night, this series is done.

Canadiens losing Price and first two at home, well, that's not going to be easy to get back into the series.

Will be really interesting if Montreal can win Sunday and go back home tied and all of a sudden the kid goaltender is the story of the series. Sports are funny sometimes. I'm hoping this is how it will play out anyway. I'd like to see Kings-Canadiens, a re-match of the last time a Canadian team won the Cup.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun May 25, 2014 7:41 am

I think Carcillo just turned it back into a series with that stupidity.

And yeah, I was wrong. Habs win Game 4 and it's a coin flip.

TouchEmAllTime wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Will be really interesting if Montreal can win Sunday and go back home tied and all of a sudden the kid goaltender is the story of the series. Sports are funny sometimes. I'm hoping this is how it will play out anyway. I'd like to see Kings-Canadiens, a re-match of the last time a Canadian team won the Cup.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Return to The Neutral Zone