Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

My pulled pork recipe - X-mas gift for TCF

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

My pulled pork recipe - X-mas gift for TCF

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Yah, I know its out of season for alot of the people on the boards, and to be honest I haven't had any intention of giving it up (not that its that complicated or top-secret anyways) but I've been pulling recipes for a while now from here and a bevy of other places so I figure I should give back, and what better place than here to do that?

This is the recipe I've developed over the last 2 years since I started with my smoker.

Materials:

1 Pork Shoulder/Butt, bone in or out, at least 7 lbs, and maybe 8-9 is better IMO.
1 Meat thermometer

The Dry Rub:
50% Dark Brown Sugar (you should "grind" through a metal strainer to make it extra fine)
50% Chili Powder*****

The Sauce:

If you have a pair: Quaker Stakes Buckeye Sauce
If you don't: KC masterpiece original
(I will usually make both for a crowd)
Apple cider vinegar
Cheese cloth

For the smoker:

Charcoal
1 Bag of Jack Daniels oak barrel chips (outdoor world/bass pro or amazon)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
****Chili Powder is to be homemade. Don't cheat yourself or this recipe by using generic bullshit.

Buy 2 types of dried chiles, one mild and one hot. I prefer the mild to be New Mexico's and the Hot to be De Arbol. Can be found in most Mexican sections of the grocery store.

You want them to still be somewhat pliable, you do NOT want them to crumble at the touch.

Buy two bag's NM and one bag DA.

Get a trash can and a couple bowls and a pair of scissors. Cut the stems off, split on one side from stem to tip, de seed (yes, remove the seeds, you lazy bastards. The seeds are bitter and change the overall taste) and toss into the bowl. Keep the two types separated.

This is tedious but this powder is going to be versatile if you like heat, so its best to do as much as you can at once so you don't have to do this each time.

When finished, preheat the oven to 225, get some baking sheets, and butterfly the chiles on the baking sheet, keeping the two types on separate sheets or in different batches.

Bake the NM for 5-7 min, it will be different depending on how fresh they are.

Bake the DA for 2-5 min, same deal.

When you finish they will be black and will cool in a matter of seconds. Use a food processor or whatever you've got to mash it all into powder, the finer the better, but it doesn't have to be sugar-fine, it can be somewhat course, somewhere between red pepper flakes and super-fine will work.

Add in some garlic powder, oregano, a little cayenne, some cumin.

But make no mistake your NM and DA will make up 80%+ of the powder, and this is what makes it much, much different from most recipes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pull out your shoulder and sit on a cutting board. If it is boneless, you need to take cooking twine and tie it up with 3-5 parallel strings.

Next start your smoker with charcoal and bring to about 250-270 degrees. We want to cook at 225-235, but the soaked chips will lower the temp at the onset.

During that time, soak your chips in warm water. At least 30 min. If you bought something other than chips, you will need to soak for a few hours to overnight depending.

You want to be able to capture the juices that will fall from the pork during the smoke, and I can't tell you how to do it because it will depend on the smoker. Most likely placing a pan with a bit of water below the meat will be fine, but you will need to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't dry up. If you have no way to put a drip pan underneath, you can put the meat in a shallow pan with some water as a last resort.

Now that you have your dry rub and chips and smoker all ready, start applying the rub to the shoulder LIBERALLY. Pack that shit on. If there is a crevice, pack the crevice. All sides should be completely covered.

Insert a meat thermometer to the deepest portion of the meat, if you have bone-in, do not touch the bone with the thermometer.

Next, place fat-side up in the smoker, and immediately toss a heaping handfull of chips onto the charcoal. We are only going to smoke the roast for 2 hours maximum. I usually use 1/2 to 3/4 of one bag of chips. When the smoke stops, add another Handfull, keep the temps above 225.

We are going to cook through til the temp is app 185 (plan on 1 to 1.5 hours per pound), try to pull it right on that temp, and do not go past 190.

Remove from the smoker and place on a fresh cookie sheet and let it sit for 30 minutes before disturbing.

Now, it's time for the sauce.

The Sauce:

At some point I will learn to make mine from scratch, for the time being, these improvised ones can be outstanding IMO.

Put the Buckeye sauce or KC Master into a sauce pan and on the stove at med low.

Take the collected juices from the drip pan and strain through cheese cloth and add to sauce, Ideally you want at least a 1/2 cup per bottle of sauce. Wait until these two have sufficiently blended and then add the vinegar.

Add apple cider vinegar to taste, a good starting point IMO is a 1/4 cup.

Heat and stir often until THOROUGHLY blended.

I like my sauce to be fairly runny when hot. Here are the adjustments you can make to dial it in to taste:

Too hot? Add some brown sugar or water, or both
Too mild? Add chili powder or Drip sauce or both
Not tangy enough? Add more vinegar until it is.

Set the sauce to the side to be scooped and poured onto the pork/pork sandwiches as a topping.

Now go back to your shoulder, remove the fat, and shred along the grain with two forks. Feel free to leave some chunks as well.

Don't throw away the "bark"! the meat with a good chuck of bark is the best stuff!

There you have it, my one prized recipe.

Enjoy!
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: My pulled pork recipe - X-mas gift for TCF

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:16 pm

If I had a smoker I would give it a go, I usually put it in the oven in a pot when I get the hankering with some OJ, Coca Cola and Beef Broth to keep some moisture. I need a smoker badly, but inorder to do that I need a backyard or a garage, neither of which I have right now.

Interesting about making your own chile powder, cant say I ever even thought to do such a thing.

For the sauce, if you want a damn good base start here

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/down ... index.html

This sauce rules, this is what I use all the time now. Typically use minced or grated onions instead of the powder, but this sauce is good how it is, or you can add or subtract as you would like. I just know I really like it and make it super peppery usually with some Tabasco and Cayenne added in. The longer you cook it the better it takes, just keep adding water as you go to keep the consistency how you want it.

I freaking love BBQ, definitely getting a smoker when I get a house. I will bump this in the summer and let you know how it turned out.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Ziner wrote:If I had a smoker I would give it a go, I usually put it in the oven in a pot when I get the hankering with some OJ, Coca Cola and Beef Broth to keep some moisture. I need a smoker badly, but inorder to do that I need a backyard or a garage, neither of which I have right now.

Interesting about making your own chile powder, cant say I ever even thought to do such a thing.

For the sauce, if you want a damn good base start here

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/down ... index.html

This sauce rules, this is what I use all the time now. Typically use minced or grated onions instead of the powder, but this sauce is good how it is, or you can add or subtract as you would like. I just know I really like it and make it super peppery usually with some Tabasco and Cayenne added in. The longer you cook it the better it takes, just keep adding water as you go to keep the consistency how you want it.

I freaking love BBQ, definitely getting a smoker when I get a house. I will bump this in the summer and let you know how it turned out.

Me too, I got my first house 2+ years ago, immediately was given a weber and shown how to use one....after one year I bought a smoker. Absolutely addicting IMO.

Weber Smokey mountain is a great starter smoker, that's what I bought, just FYI.

I'll check out that sauce, appreciate the link.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Z -

You can use your oven as a smoker. We do it all of the time.

http://www.inuyaki.com/archives/90
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry