Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Whats the 411 on X mas ale release?

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Whats the 411 on X mas ale release?

Unread postby jb » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:36 pm

nm
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Whats the 411 on X mas ale release?

Unread postby swerb » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Nov 1 I heard ... to be sold in stores. Already on tap at GLBC?
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:48 am

Didn't want to start a new topic, but I have a quick question concerning "christmas ales" and figured I'd come to the beer experts for advice. :cheers:

I live in Florida and unfortunately can't get my hands on the Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Any other holiday or christmas ales out there worth a shot? I've noticed Sierra Nevada puts out a Celebration Ale and was going to give it a shot, but other than that, I've got nothing.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:38 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:Didn't want to start a new topic, but I have a quick question concerning "christmas ales" and figured I'd come to the beer experts for advice. :cheers:

I live in Florida and unfortunately can't get my hands on the Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Any other holiday or christmas ales out there worth a shot? I've noticed Sierra Nevada puts out a Celebration Ale and was going to give it a shot, but other than that, I've got nothing.

Some around here would agree I am knowledgeable in this area so here's my input. The first group lists traditional "winter warmer/christmas ales" with more spice and hop character. The 2nd list are the belgian dark ales that are traditionally associated with the Christmas season and have more port/dark fruit/booze notes.

BTW - SN Celebration is FANTASTIC, but don't expect something like Great Lakes. Sierra Nevada's take is more subdued on the spice side and more pronounced on hops.

Cigar City Winter Warmer (being in Florida, I'd think you can get this stuff)
Avery Old Jubelation
Breckinridge Christmas Ale
Goose Island Christmas Ale (more of a spicy brown ale)
Sam Smith Winter Welcome
Highland Winter Ale (North Carolina, probably well distributed down south)
Thirsty Dog 12 Days of Christmas (a local favorite out of Akron)
Hitachino Nest Celebration Ale
Sam Adams' Old Fezziwig

Corsendonk Christmas Ale - My personal favorite out of all X-mas styles/rotationals
Troegs Mad Elf (sh!t is crazy boozy, but has a great cherry draw to it)
Brassarie Caracole Nostradamus
De Dolle Oerbier
Delerium Noel
St. Bernardus X-mas Ale

Cheers! :cheers:
Last edited by RickNashEquilibrium on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:40 pm

jclvd_23 wrote:Didn't want to start a new topic, but I have a quick question concerning "christmas ales" and figured I'd come to the beer experts for advice. :cheers:

Try Corsendonk Christmas Ale. Fabulous stuff. :thumb up:

And when it's not Christmas try their Pale Ale and Nut Brown.

Those Monks really know how to brew it.

Edit: I see that RNE beat me too it, which makes me feel all the better about my recommendation.
Last edited by motherscratcher on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:47 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:

Try Corsendonk Christmas Ale. Fabulous stuff. :thumb up:

And when it's not Christmas try their Pale Ale and Nut Brown.

Those Monks really know who to brew it.

Edit: I see that RNE beat me too it, which makes me feel all the better about my recommendation.

Hate to burst your bubble there, Mother, but Corsendonk doesn't qualify as a true Trappist brew. While its heritage derives from the monks, its considered an Abbey Ale because its now a large commercial brewery. To my knowledge the only authentic trappist breweries left are Westvleteren, Rochforte, Chimay, Westmalle, Orval, and Koninghshoeven. But yeah, Corsendonk = WIN. Great, great brewery!

EDIT: Sorry about that, didn't mean to come off curt on that last post. Should have done one of these:

/beer nerd'd??
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:51 pm

Dammit RNE, ain't we got enough to contend with here?

Actually, I figured it was something like that. Consendonk just seems to easy to find for it to be a small group of Friar Tucks making it. It's still great, though.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:00 pm

I have both a 2008 and 2009 bomber of Corsendonk X-mas Ale in my closet. Probably crack one open on Thanksgiving, the other one on Christmas Eve. Looking forward to what its like laying down for a year+. They're sitting right next to my 4 pack of Founder's Nemesis 2010 (not opening that for who knows how long) and Goose Island Nightstalker.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:29 pm

BTW - You didn't come off as curt in the last post at all. I like having a dude around who really knows his shit, because it's interesting. I wasn't really aware that beer aged. At least not in any way that affected the taste positively.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:32 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Hate to burst your bubble there, Mother, but Corsendonk doesn't qualify as a true Trappist brew. While its heritage derives from the monks, its considered an Abbey Ale because its now a large commercial brewery.

Ooooooooo, SNAP! Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Freshman.

RNE- are speaking on aging beer? Never tried it, am I missing out?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:43 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
RickNashEquilibrium wrote:Hate to burst your bubble there, Mother, but Corsendonk doesn't qualify as a true Trappist brew. While its heritage derives from the monks, its considered an Abbey Ale because its now a large commercial brewery.

Ooooooooo, SNAP! Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Freshman.

RNE- are speaking on aging beer? Never tried it, am I missing out?

It's probably gonna be more than just putting a 30-pack of Coors Light on ice and drinking it at the tailgate the next day dude. ;-) ;) :wink:

:lmfao:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby jclvd_23 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:00 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:

Some around here would agree I am knowledgeable in this area so here's my input. The first group lists traditional "winter warmer/christmas ales" with more spice and hop character. The 2nd list are the belgian dark ales that are traditionally associated with the Christmas season and have more port/dark fruit/booze notes.

BTW - SN Celebration is FANTASTIC, but don't expect something like Great Lakes. Sierra Nevada's take is more subdued on the spice side and more pronounced on hops.

Cigar City Winter Warmer (being in Florida, I'd think you can get this stuff)
Avery Old Jubelation
Breckinridge Christmas Ale
Goose Island Christmas Ale (more of a spicy brown ale)
Sam Smith Winter Welcome
Highland Winter Ale (North Carolina, probably well distributed down south)
Thirsty Dog 12 Days of Christmas (a local favorite out of Akron)
Hitachino Nest Celebration Ale
Sam Adams' Old Fezziwig

Corsendonk Christmas Ale - My personal favorite out of all X-mas styles/rotationals
Troegs Mad Elf (sh!t is crazy boozy, but has a great cherry draw to it)
Brassarie Caracole Nostradamus
De Dolle Oerbier
Delerium Noel
St. Bernardus X-mas Ale

Cheers! :cheers:

Tremendous stuff RNE/Mother and exactly what I was looking for. There's a reason I come to this board for all of my alcoholic beverage information. I'll print me out this list and see what I can find. Cheers! :cheers:

Also, I've heard that Great Lakes has distribution as far south as Charlotte, NC. I'm heading up to Wilminton, NC for Thanksgiving this year and was going to hit up a couple of stores hoping against hope that I can find some christmas ale...don't think my odds are to good though. Happy to have something to fall back on.
jclvd_23

Favorite Player: Jack Tatum
Least Favorite Player: Pittsburgh/UM/UF Fan

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:41 pm

Motherscratcher wrote:BTW - You didn't come off as curt in the last post at all. I like having a dude around who really knows his shit, because it's interesting. I wasn't really aware that beer aged. At least not in any way that affected the taste positively.

Yessir, but not all of them. Normal IPA/DIPAs and other filtered beers are best when they are fresh. Also, prime aging beers really need to be above 8-9% alcohol to keep from spoiling. That and they have more sugar. More sugar breakdown = flavor evolution. That's why Barleywines, Old Ales, and Imperial Stouts are the best for aging as they get mellow and more complex. Read here this doesn't necessarily mean better, just that the beer takes a different form after periods of cellaring.

Unfiltered beers or ones that are bottled with live yeast/bacteria also age well as long as a few requirements are met. In order to properly ferment, its critical that the beer hasn't been refrigerated or exposed to vastly fluctuating temperatures after the time of bottling. Also, no light. Keep sealed, covered, and dark as best as you can. And regardless of what anyone tells you, Ales are completely safe, if not best, to age between 60-65 degrees F. If you store them in too cold of a place (approaching or below 50 degrees) the little buggers and happy strains can become completely inactive. That's why you can't do it in the fridge. Remember, keep that temp constant!
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby hebner20 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:00 pm

I am not a beer guy but all this hype about Christmas Ale had me curious so I got a 6 pack today and am cooling it down to 55 F drinking temperature. I am looking forward to it and will post a tasting report later.
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Unread postby hebner20 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:28 pm

OK. I had my Christmas Ale and i am sad to say I my palate is not adjsuted to fully appreciate this beverage. I did notice the spices and found it to be pleasant but did not meet expectations that the vast amount of accolades it has received on this site. I would say this is not a fault of the ale but my lack of experience in beer/ale appreciation. I am familiar with this as I can remember when i first began tasting wine I had no clue what i was doing. This amateur has to take a pass on giving a rating as I am clearly unqualified.

I hope all you ale hounds enjoy this years batch of Christmas Ale. I will stick to what i know. :cheers:
hebner20

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:45 pm

hebner20 wrote:OK. I had my Christmas Ale and i am sad to say I my palate is not adjsuted to fully appreciate this beverage. I did notice the spices and found it to be pleasant but did not meet expectations that the vast amount of accolades it has received on this site. I would say this is not a fault of the ale but my lack of experience in beer/ale appreciation. I am familiar with this as I can remember when i first began tasting wine I had no clue what i was doing. This amateur has to take a pass on giving a rating as I am clearly unqualified.

I hope all you ale hounds enjoy this years batch of Christmas Ale. I will stick to what i know. :cheers:

Mail the leftovers to southern Virginia.

Picked this up today for the WS

Strong spice flavor (nutmeg/ cinnamon). Goes very nicely with pumpkin bread.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:14 pm

I am eager to taste this year's GLBC X-Mas ale. As I've mentioned before, its been toned down since 2007 so hopefully its got more punch than in the past. With the blow up of IPAs in recent years, I think they've catered to that type of palate which might explain the change.

If anyone is near Chardon, check out the Brew Works on the Square. Went there for the 1st time back in April and while being a nice place with good/reasonable priced food, the beer left something to be desired. I went back there on Saturday with a friend and they are doing much better. The Dunkelweizen was about average, but the pumpkin porter was great. Next up I gotta try their Hefe which Ive been told is one of the best local brews right now.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:23 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:I am eager to taste this year's GLBC X-Mas ale. As I've mentioned before, its been toned down since 2007 so hopefully its got more punch than in the past. With the blow up of IPAs in recent years, I think they've catered to that type of palate which might explain the change.

If anyone is near Chardon, check out the Brew Works on the Square. Went there for the 1st time back in April and while being a nice place with good/reasonable priced food, the beer left something to be desired. I went back there on Saturday with a friend and they are doing much better. The Dunkelweizen was about average, but the pumpkin porter was great. Next up I gotta try their Hefe which Ive been told is one of the best local brews right now.

You need to try the Plain Porter at Cornerstone in Madison Village. Outstanding. This week at the PSU game went to a place called Champs in State College (http://www.champssportsgrill.net/) Check out that beer menu for a local joint. Founders Breakfast Stout on tap with 44 other really good beers (Victory, Bells, Founders, Elk Creek, etc). The breakfast stout was 8.9% which is high for a breakfast stout but it was tremendous. Then on Staurday not a can or bottle of domestic to be found as we drank a hoppy stout (think Dead Reckoning) from a keg that my buddy's old man brewed and then our stout and a barley wine we made (out stout came in about 5.5% and the barley wine at about 9.5% or 10%.

One can get spoiled quickly in the world of craft brews.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:29 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
Picked this up today for the WS

Strong spice flavor (nutmeg/ cinnamon). Goes very nicely with pumpkin bread.

I picked up a 6 pack of this yesterday. A buddy and his wife and kid came over to trick or treat. We were both big fans.

I'm really liking Harpoon. I've been a big fan of their regular IPA since I found it this summer.

I also picked up a 4 pack of their Imperial IPA yesterday and was impressed.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:29 pm

hebner20 wrote:OK. I had my Christmas Ale and i am sad to say I my palate is not adjsuted to fully appreciate this beverage. I did notice the spices and found it to be pleasant but did not meet expectations that the vast amount of accolades it has received on this site. I would say this is not a fault of the ale but my lack of experience in beer/ale appreciation. I am familiar with this as I can remember when i first began tasting wine I had no clue what i was doing. This amateur has to take a pass on giving a rating as I am clearly unqualified.

Blasphemer!!!!!
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:02 am

I am in Columbus area and went to Kroger last night, not specifically for X Mas Ale but figured I would check, and I was disappointed that there was none to be found. I have to check today or maybe check the other grocery in town as their beer selection tends to be more diverse.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:53 am

Motherscratcher wrote:I'm really liking Harpoon. I've been a big fan of their regular IPA since I found it this summer.

I also picked up a 4 pack of their Imperial IPA yesterday and was impressed.

Rack that. Leviathan is one of the best Imperials out there, hands down. Mother, if you have good beer stores out there on the west side (Rozi's?) try to find Stoudt's DIPA. Very similar to Harpoon's when it comes to an Imperials with more malty, sweet grapefruit, and citrus undertones.

Peek, how did your stout turn out? Didn't know you were working on a barleywine so I am interested in how long you let it sit?

BTW - If anyone is a fan of Dogfish Head or breweries that like to experiment, try Dogfish's Theobroma. I had it on tap at Beer Engine and it vaulted into my top 5 all time. Check out this description below. Crazy thing is, when you look at what its brewed with you'de think it would be prime for a stout. However, it pours, feels, and looks like an APA but with loads of flavor and body. Very drinkable too despite the 9% ABV.

http://www.dogfish.com/brews-spirits/th ... obroma.htm
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby peeker643 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:06 am

Stout came out tremendous but damn if that stuff doesn't go fast. I have 4 22oz bottles left of the 5 gallons I split with the buddy I made it with.

The barley wine was his and it sat for over 6 months.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:16 pm

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:I am in Columbus area and went to Kroger last night, not specifically for X Mas Ale but figured I would check, and I was disappointed that there was none to be found. I have to check today or maybe check the other grocery in town as their beer selection tends to be more diverse.

The Kroger on Hilliard-Rome Road had some when I was there the other day. I think the Giant Eagle out there also might carry GLB.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:49 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Love child of shawn kemp wrote:I am in Columbus area and went to Kroger last night, not specifically for X Mas Ale but figured I would check, and I was disappointed that there was none to be found. I have to check today or maybe check the other grocery in town as their beer selection tends to be more diverse.

The Kroger on Hilliard-Rome Road had some when I was there the other day. I think the Giant Eagle out there also might carry GLB.

It's everywhere as of today. The Giant Eagles do have it as do Wal Marts (at least the Super Wal Mart by us). Three weeks is the predicted amount of time the dudes at The Iggle say it will be around.

Now, if you have a chance gentlemen, the Troegs Mad Elf is simply better. Heresy you say? No. It's better. More potent (and at $64 for a case it really should be better).

But if you're in PA or know someone close (*cough* FMB *cough*) and feel like treating yourself, there ya go. Try any of the Troegs and you'll thank me.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:17 pm

"Troegs; Ale, wench rental, and battle axe sharpening"
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:"Troegs; Ale, wench rental, and battle axe sharpening"

You don't know shit about pizza or ale.

I happen to be a stout and porter fan. But I can open it up and enjoy different things. Like you did in college when you experimented with dudes.

Now that I've masterd the art of brewing stout and barley wine I'm going to grow my own weed. Party at your house next summer. But those college friends of yours can't come.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:36 pm

The wife was at Giant Eagle in Twinsburg today and she said there was no GLBC Christmas Ale. She picked up a 6-pack of the Thirsty Dog Christmas Ale (which I prefer anyway). Enjoying one right now.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:57 pm

peeker643 wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:"Troegs; Ale, wench rental, and battle axe sharpening"

You don't know shit about pizza or ale.

I happen to be a stout and porter fan. But I can open it up and enjoy different things. Like you did in college when you experimented with dudes.

Now that I've masterd the art of brewing stout and barley wine I'm going to grow my own weed. Party at your house next summer. But those college friends of yours can't come.

Man, you've been on a mean spirited run lately...... Even overtly calling me gay.... Nice.

The fucking Irish.

Enjoy you tree bark and dead leaf tasting ales, maybe you and your dumb little buddies can go sack a neighboring town or something after getting piss faced on 3 beers.

You ain't be growing no weed.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Man, you've been on a mean spirited run lately...... Even overtly calling me gay.... Nice.

The fucking Irish.

Enjoy you tree bark and dead leaf tasting ales, maybe you and your dumb little buddies can go sack a neighboring town or something after getting piss faced on 3 beers.

You ain't be growing no weed.

You been talking to jfiling huh?

Of course I'm not growing. Barely and only occasionally brewing my own beer. And I'm allergic to anything that grows in the ground. Still, love the Botwins on TV.

I already told ya, I'm not an ale guy myself but for an occasional seasonal brew. I just happen to like the Troegs over the GLB when that occasion arises.

I apologize for bringing up bad college memories. And wasn't that more 'covert' than 'overt' given I didn't actually come out and say it? Sorry I'm a dick but one needs to be true to one's self.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:49 am

Tried Bells X-mas Ale last night and it wasn't bad. Ive never seen it in Ohio so I had to pick up a few to try. Truth be told, its very very similar to GLBC X-mas ale with a bit less spice. For those of you who have had this years Great Lakes, how did it turn out? More similar to 2008 and 2009 or have they done the right thing and gone back to the "fill you with piss and vinegar" days of old?

Finally tried Lagunitas Lil Sumpin' Wild Ale. Its a bottle conditioned ale brewed with Westmalle yeast (the same found in the Trappist Ale of the same name). Wow. It has that good funk that Tripels usually have, but it doesn't linger nor dry out the palate. Sweet, a bit herbal, with nice hops not unlike a good imperial IPA. At $5.00 a bomber at Save-On in Mentor, anyone in the area should try to get a hand on it. Also got my hands on Stone's elusive "Vertical Epic" series. Got 2 bottles of the 10.10.10 which need to be aged 2 years and thats coming straight from the brewers mouth. Hard to wait that long, but it will be worth it.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:30 am

This year's Great Lakes Christmas Ale is the best batch ever. By far. Smoothest run yet ... and the most flavorful. Cinnamon and honey jumps out at you.

It is outstanding.

And lethally strong. The next 3 months are going to be a haze. Time to start compiling the Strategic Reserve.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:03 am

swerb wrote:This year's Great Lakes Christmas Ale is the best batch ever. By far. Smoothest run yet ... and the most flavorful. Cinnamon and honey jumps out at you.

It is outstanding.

And lethally strong. The next 3 months are going to be a haze. Time to start compiling the Strategic Reserve.

Surely you jest. Better than '04 and '07? As strong or stronger than '07? I know we'ev discussed this in the past, but '07 was easily over 9%. I will have to try it to believe it. Wonder how it is on tap at the brewery......Man you got my juices this morning Swerb. Good thing my GF loves X-mas Ale. I'll get her a 12 pack along with the ring for her this weekend.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:24 am

RickNashEquilibrium wrote: Good thing my GF loves X-mas Ale. I'll get her a 12 pack along with the ring for her this weekend.

uh oh... May I suggest a few xmas ales before hand to ease the nerves.

Congrats though, assuming she doesnt smack you and run away crying ;-) ;) :wink:

p.s. I am ready for our beer exchange anytime so let me know. Found out we are hosting Thanksgiving for some friends so xmas ale will be a great addition.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:37 am

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
swerb wrote:This year's Great Lakes Christmas Ale is the best batch ever. By far. Smoothest run yet ... and the most flavorful. Cinnamon and honey jumps out at you.

It is outstanding.

Surely you jest. Better than '04 and '07? As strong or stronger than '07? I know we'ev discussed this in the past, but '07 was easily over 9%. I will have to try it to believe it. Wonder how it is on tap at the brewery......Man you got my juices this morning Swerb. Good thing my GF loves X-mas Ale. I'll get her a 12 pack along with the ring for her this weekend.

Probably partially due to the Christmas Ale, I can't remember anything back further than a couple years ago. Last year's was the worst ever. This years is off the charts good.

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:36 am

It is outstanding.

Fist bout was lat night.

My head hurts.

So drinkable I was all like "this is Xmas ale lite".

Several in and I can't recall details of last evening.
jb

Unread postby hebner20 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:58 am

It is outstanding.

Wow, that makes me look lame. I have to acquire a more refined taste for beer/ales as i have over the years for wine but i can't devote that much time to it - you know work and all. :pb:

I still have 3 left out of the 6 pack i bought. I will keep up my analytical review as best I can and eventually I might "get it". I will say after 1 bottle I am getting loopy so the 7.5% might be a little low.
hebner20

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:38 pm

swerb wrote: This years is off the charts good.

I'm dying on the inside.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby swerb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:39 pm

hebner20 wrote:

It is outstanding.

Wow, that makes me look lame. I have to acquire a more refined taste for beer/ales as i have over the years for wine but i can't devote that much time to it - you know work and all. :pb:

I still have 3 left out of the 6 pack i bought. I will keep up my analytical review as best I can and eventually I might "get it". I will say after 1 bottle I am getting loopy so the 7.5% might be a little low.

I had a 10 oz draft at the bar after work on Tues and was seriously buzzed after one. Had the perma-smile after two. And had the radio BLASTING on the drive home.

Got home and had two more in the bottle after I put the kids to bed. Fell asleep sitting straight up on the couch.

It's back baby. :santa:

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby jb » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:35 pm

Crushed a sixer it tasted so good.

It's 4:30 PM and my head is still concussed.

I'm glad they listened to Peeker & I and cut the spices way, way down. It's not Glocken-mas Ale this year.

BTW - I started hyperventalating and could neither speak nor move when I saw it on the cooler shelf. It was an Adam Sandler moment.
jb

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:34 pm

Wow.

Very nicely done this year GLB.

That's as smooth as it gets. Pretty much the right amount of everything.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby skatingtripods » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:39 am

I'll have to give it a go again this year. Loved the '08 version, disliked the '09. Just too much spice. If what you guys are saying and they scaled it back, it'll be terrific again.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:08 am

Just too much spice.

See, this is where my pallet differs, I just cannot understand putting spice in beer. It would be like getting drunk and eating potpurri.
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Unread postby bucknutz94 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:44 pm

swerb wrote:
hebner20 wrote:

It is outstanding.

I had a 10 oz draft at the bar after work on Tues and was seriously buzzed after one. Had the perma-smile after two. And had the radio BLASTING on the drive home.

Got home and had two more in the bottle after I put the kids to bed. Fell asleep sitting straight up on the couch.

It's back baby. :santa:

Damn that's funny. I was nodding my head and laughing while reading this. I've done the same thing, in the same sequence, so many times.

BTW, agree on this years batch. Bought a sixer last night. Cracked the first one at 8:30p, had one more around 9p and that was it. I was allllll set for the night. :hic:
bucknutz94

Favorite Player: Billy Wood
Least Favorite Player: Jeff Downs

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Yep folks, its dangerous.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:25 pm

Giant Eagle is sold out. The lady stocking beer said that Great Lakes is having bottling issues with Christmas Ale. She said she didn't know when they would get more or how much.

I feel like a fool having only 1 6 pack in the fridge. A damn fool. Bought a 12 pack of the Commodore for comfort.
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:06 pm

Commodore Perry wrote:Giant Eagle is sold out. The lady stocking beer said that Great Lakes is having bottling issues with Christmas Ale. She said she didn't know when they would get more or how much.

I feel like a fool having only 1 6 pack in the fridge. A damn fool. Bought a 12 pack of the Commodore for comfort.

Which Giant Eagle is that CP? Seen plenty in this last few days at a few GE's.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:01 am

peeker643 wrote:
Commodore Perry wrote:Giant Eagle is sold out. The lady stocking beer said that Great Lakes is having bottling issues with Christmas Ale. She said she didn't know when they would get more or how much.

Which Giant Eagle is that CP? Seen plenty in this last few days at a few GE's.

Make sure to check the mom and pop beer/wine places. There are 2 small stores here that carry 800+ different beers and are stocked to the brim with Xmas ale. Heinens and World Of Wines in Mentor are both out until the middle of this week.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:15 pm

One thing to add, and don't think it condescending: In both the Willoughby and Madison Giant Eagle there was no Xmas Ale in the beer fridge/section but there was plenty of Xmas Ale.

In Willoughby they put a display of it over near the produce and seasonal shit and in Madison (just an hour ago as a matter of fact) I found the beer section empty of Xmas Ale but a nce display of it (though warm) over near the wine and liquor store.

Don't assume they're out if you see none next to the Coors Light and Sam Adams stuff in the fridge.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby jb » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:01 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:
Just too much spice.

See, this is where my pallet differs, I just cannot understand putting spice in beer. It would be like getting drunk and eating potpurri.

Have you ever done that after ading everclear and lighting it on fire?

helluvashot.
jb

Next

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry