Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Taste in Beer, Class of beer question for board.....

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Taste in Beer, Class of beer question for board.....

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:49 pm

I was in a conversation this weekend that pertained to this subject, just wanted to get a consensus on TCF.

What do you say about a man's taste in beer whose favorites are of the Busch, Miller, Bud, Natty, Strohs, Coors, etc....ilk when money is not a (major) factor?

It is fair to say that within the context of the world of beer, these are in fact, shitty beers?

I mean, to be clear, it's perfectly within the rights of anyone to enjoy shitty beer, like bad movies or fat women.

I just wonder how many you know prefer those beers AND would consider them good offerings within the world of beer.

Discuss.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Re: Taste in Beer, Class of beer question for board.....

Unread postby jb » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:50 pm

JCoz wrote:I was in a conversation this weekend that pertained to this subject, just wanted to get a consensus on TCF.

What do you say about a man's taste in beer whose favorites are of the Busch, Miller, Bud, Natty, Strohs, Coors, etc....ilk when money is not a (major) factor?

It is fair to say that within the context of the world of beer, these are in fact, shitty beers?

I mean, to be clear, it's perfectly within the rights of anyone to enjoy shitty beer, like bad movies or fat women.

I just wonder how many you know prefer those beers AND would consider them good offerings within the world of beer.

Discuss.

JC, what we might think of as craft beer was pretty much non-existant until about 1985 when Sam Adams started shipping to the midwest. Until the 60's and 70's, unless you were lucky enough to be on the northern pacific coast from about SF up and smart enough to get anchor instead of Hamms, those beers you list were mostly all the beer you could buy. Bud, Miller, Strohs, Genny WAS beer in C-town in the day. For example, Coors was this huge holy grail beer past the Misissippi as late as the 70's; a cultutal phenominin. I think even a stupid Burt Reynolds movie was based on that. So what you think of as crap was all there really was available, at least in the great lakes region.

So I guess what I'm saying is that for like men over 50 or so, unless they changed with the times of the micro brewing revolution, they are just drinking what they grew up with, esp when it comes to the off brands like Genny & Strohs. Those were huge in Cleveland in the day since we had no city beer other than some Philly Schmidts POC offshoot and those came in from Detroit and Buffalo. Thank God Hudi and Arn stayed in their shitty cties as the local brew.

If they are your age what does it say? I think Mike Polk did a song about them recently, esp Pabst . LOL.

But I still have s soft spot in my heart for a classic cheap American lager with an old time brand like Strohs, Genny, PBR, Scaeffer, Miller HL. I hve no use for Meister Brau or Keystone of that shit.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby dem425 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:53 pm

I have NEVER considered myself a beer expert.....Quite frankly, I don't know exactly what a beer expert is.

But doesn't everything come down to subjectivity?.......I mean that everyone's tastes are different so to call something "shitty" is an opinion......Not good, not bad, not indifferent, just an opinion.

Some people think Dom Perignon is absolutly the best.....Why, cause it's $300/bottle?.....Yet, I know other "experts" who think this is a shitty champagne....So, it's not about the money.

I was one of the over 50 guys that thought getting Coors or Olympia "smuggled" to us in the mid 70's was scoring something special......Turned out, a lot of people (once they drank it)thought it was shitty tasting and went back to their PBRs, Duke, Blatz, etc...All a matter of personal taste....

A couple of times I have tried some of the beers guy would post about in "What are you drinking now?"......Didn't like 'em so I went back to Coors Light and Bud Light.........Most recently, my son-in-law is a Yinzer and he has brought me Yuengling and Yuengling Light, both of which aren't bad, but that's my opinion.

YMMV
dem425

Favorite Player: Dick Marcinko
Least Favorite Player: All Politicians

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:15 pm

JCoz wrote:I was in a conversation this weekend that pertained to this subject, just wanted to get a consensus on TCF.

Discuss.

I say don't judge a man by the beer he drinks, or at least until you have drained a sixer in his shoes. Something like that.

Seriously, I wouldn't call them shitty beers, although I would rather have 2 well brewed artisanal beers than a whole case of bud lite. The ones you listed do, from time to time, have their place. They're a certain category of beer (light American lagers) that do have some merits on certain occasions - good social drinking beer when you don't want to get hammered, Monday Night Football beer when you have to get up and work the next day, outside on a hot day doing yard work, at a ball game and driving home later, playing golf, penalty euchre.......
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby waborat » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:21 pm

JB hits on a lot of good points...

Growing up, yooz was high class if ya drank Lowenbrau or Michelob...

It's like this for me today:

-Going out with the family to dinner, grabbin a "quickie" w/ some friends after work, hittin up a top spot for a couple of hours = Microbrews, IPA's & $6+ Drafts

-Tailgating, watching a game, all-day parties, clambakes, etc; beach, concerts, beer crawls, breakfast, all-night sex, working on car, mowing grass, etc = Miller High Life, Coors Light, Black label or any other cheap shit that's available
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:37 pm

JCoz wrote:

If you can see through it, it's shitty beer. That being said, beer is like sex, even when it is bad, it's still pretty good. So if you're at someone's house, and they offer you a beer, you enjoy it regardless of brand.

Beer is chosen based on activity:
Activities in the midday sun = High Life
BBQ/ gathering you know you're leaving within an hour or two= High Life
BBQ/ gathering that starts around 3 and will go well into the night= 6er of the good stuff to start, then High Life
With good food and on holidays/ special occasions= good stuff
Ball game activities= High Life
Movies= High Life
Days that end in Y= High Life
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby dem425 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:09 pm

Good Beer, Shitty Beer
Cheap Beer, Expensive Beer

All Drinkers, REJOICE!:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_upshot/20 ... n-drinkers
dem425

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:14 pm

I wouldn't judge the MAN, just his taste in beer - yeah you are right mattvan that this is generally subjective.

Again, what I'm saying it is different to say there are times for shitty beer and I can and do enjoy them at those times, but it doesn't IMO make them quality beers at any point.

Notable exception being when you want a beer and have limited/no selection - any beer is good beer compared to no beer.

But if the beers credo includes drinking it "ice cold", then regardless of tastes you are most likely drinking a shitty beer.

If I'm buying for myself then my everyday-man's go to would be rolling rock. Never would drink bud, miller, coors - unless it was free or the only available choice or both. Maybe Rock belongs right there with those.

Good comments on perspective JB. Still, the dif between those beers and some of the craft brews around and available today, in every style of beer, IMO is like standard def vs HD....25 years is plenty of time to know the difference.

It's not like craft brew Co.'s don't do pilsner or pale ale. They make the styles of those American classics - they just do it much better IMO.

BTW, all this is in good fun conversation. I'm not the fucking beer police and you'd NEVER see me poking someone at a tailgate to say they have shitty taste in beer. Hell you wouldn't find me drinking my fav craft beer at a tailgate (at least before the game) at all. Forums can sometimes confuse how serious an issue is, so I thought I'd put that out there.
JCoz

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:40 pm

So the Lead Man's wife works for University Hospitals. Every now and than Lead Man gets roped into some sort of party, in this instance, a Christmas gathering. Filled with stuffy Doctors and their stuffier spouses looking people up and down and needing to be the coolest of the cool. Lead Man is at this cocktail gathering and every douche in the joint, which incidentally was everybody, is drinking some sort of martini - because that's alledgedly the "high brough" drink of the times. Server saunters over with the tray and ask what Lead Man wants, and he just says "look, I just wanna get some kind of beer" The waitress kind of gave LP that coy smile that said two things 1. "Thank God, it looks like there's finally someone who isn't a phony douche in the house and 2. Based almost exclusively on number 1, LP thinks (if he weren't already taken) he was a favorite to nail her.

Anyway, moral of the story. In this crowd, NO beer would have been considered "class" enough. But Lead Man employed two of his credos here, 1. He made his own choice and 2. He didn't give a F about what anyone else thought.

In selecting a beer, you should sdo the same.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:08 pm

leadpipe wrote:
Anyway, moral of the story. In this crowd, NO beer would have been considered "class" enough. But Lead Man employed two of his credos here, 1. He made his own choice and 2. He didn't give a F about what anyone else thought.

Never did I say otherwise.

To go back to my example, I for one have a ton of movies that I really, really, like and do prefer to watch over a lot of movies people would say are better.

This is for a variety of reasons, I find them entertaining, maybe sentimental value based on WHEN I saw them, whatever. I just like em' and watch them again and again.

But I know they are crappy movies. Doesn't make a damn bit of difference to me.

Likewise I really like rolling rock for certain occasions, but I know DAMN well it isn't close to the best pale ales I've tried, not in the same class. But I like it so fuck you, you know?

Point being the purpose of the question wasn't to convince people to buy and drink what beer I like instead of what you like. Just that it was weird to me to talk to some around my own age who not only prefer a bud, miller, NATTY, whatever, but thought that these beers were actually better than some of the same style that I named to him, price be damned. This is a friend not a stranger at a cocktail party.

It aint a crime just a conversation. If everyone's end response was do what you do and fuck everyone else then there wouldn't be much point in discussing or comparing anything at all. You should, in the end, but it doesn't mean its worthless to BS about it.
JCoz

Unread postby Cease » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:18 pm

The Lead Man abides... good story.

Nothing wrong with drinking "shitty" beer. Perhaps the gent should be praised for not investing the little time and energy needed to become a snob on any level. He's keeping it real, really real. No time spent deciding and judging, more time spent sipping and laughing.

Also, the age thing is true. Beer was cheap and watery for a looong time. Some people are more than happy with that.
Cease

Favorite Player: Gamers
Least Favorite Player: Chuckers

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:24 pm

Cease wrote:The Lead Man abides... good story.

Nothing wrong with drinking "shitty" beer. Perhaps the gent should be praised for not investing the little time and energy needed to become a snob on any level. He's keeping it real, really real. No time spent deciding and judging, more time spent sipping and laughing.

Also, the age thing is true. Beer was cheap and watery for a looong time. Some people are more than happy with that.

Dude spent plenty of time judging. He brought up the convo by slamming me for the $$$ I spend on the stuff. His position was that I spent 2x as much to drink shittier beer than he did.
JCoz

Unread postby Cease » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:27 pm

JCoz wrote:
Cease wrote:The Lead Man abides... good story.

Dude spent plenty of time judging. He brought up the convo by slamming me for the $$$ I spend on the stuff. His position was that I spent 2x as much to drink shittier beer than he did.

Oh, he's THAT guy. F him.
Cease

Unread postby dem425 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:30 pm

JCOZ:

Don't get upset. It IS a good topic. Being a degenerate drinker, beer only serves me in two ways:

1. Quench a thrist
2. Good with Pizza and wings

I have found that microbrews are not my style. The amount of work put into producing these types of beers are wasted on my palate. I walk through Heinen's grocery store and look at some of those exotic beers and wonder what is the difference between an $14/6-pack of "Gesundheit" Import or the $17/4-pack of "Snail Trail Amber Bock"....I settle on the $4.99/6-pack Coors Light.....

BUT, if I want to tie one on, then:

1. Smirnoff
2. Maker's
3. Black Velvet

I'm sure someone will turn their nose up on one of the above three, but again, it's all just an OPINION........and opinions are like;
(mooning)
dem425

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:31 pm

leadpipe wrote:So the Lead Man's wife works for University Hospitals. Every now and than Lead Man gets roped into some sort of party, in this instance, a Christmas gathering. Filled with stuffy Doctors and their stuffier spouses looking people up and down and needing to be the coolest of the cool. Lead Man is at this cocktail gathering and every douche in the joint, which incidentally was everybody, is drinking some sort of martini - because that's alledgedly the "high brough" drink of the times. Server saunters over with the tray and ask what Lead Man wants, and he just says "look, I just wanna get some kind of beer" The waitress kind of gave LP that coy smile that said two things 1. "Thank God, it looks like there's finally someone who isn't a phony douche in the house and 2. Based almost exclusively on number 1, LP thinks (if he weren't already taken) he was a favorite to nail her.

This is a post of the year nominee.

I'm a Coors Light/Labatt Blue guy. I'll drink Bud Light/Miller Lite if I go somewhere and it's the draft special, or if I go to a party that isn't BYOB. In college, the beer of choice for beer pong was Keystone Light, and it was quite tolerable.

It depends on what you plan to achieve with your beer. If the goal is to get drunk, it takes a lot more Stones and Natties than it would Sam Adams, GLBC, or even Coors Light (IMO).

I'll say this. If I'm going to drink a cheaper beer, I'll drink a couple Coors or BLs before I start on Stones or Natty. It's just a taste thing for me. I think the slightly more expensive beers have a better taste. After a few, it doesn't really matter.

For me, if I have the choice between paying $9 for a 12 of Coors Light or $12 for a 30 pack of Natty, I still go with the Coors. Not economical, but it's what I prefer.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Favorite Player: Mike Aviles
Least Favorite Player: Every Detroit Tiger

Unread postby JCoz » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:44 pm

skatingtripods wrote:
leadpipe wrote:So the Lead Man's wife works for University Hospitals. Every now and than Lead Man gets roped into some sort of party, in this instance, a Christmas gathering. Filled with stuffy Doctors and their stuffier spouses looking people up and down and needing to be the coolest of the cool. Lead Man is at this cocktail gathering and every douche in the joint, which incidentally was everybody, is drinking some sort of martini - because that's alledgedly the "high brough" drink of the times. Server saunters over with the tray and ask what Lead Man wants, and he just says "look, I just wanna get some kind of beer" The waitress kind of gave LP that coy smile that said two things 1. "Thank God, it looks like there's finally someone who isn't a phony douche in the house and 2. Based almost exclusively on number 1, LP thinks (if he weren't already taken) he was a favorite to nail her.

This is a post of the year nominee.

I'm a Coors Light/Labatt Blue guy. I'll drink Bud Light/Miller Lite if I go somewhere and it's the draft special, or if I go to a party that isn't BYOB. In college, the beer of choice for beer pong was Keystone Light, and it was quite tolerable.

It depends on what you plan to achieve with your beer. If the goal is to get drunk, it takes a lot more Stones and Natties than it would Sam Adams, GLBC, or even Coors Light (IMO).

I'll say this. If I'm going to drink a cheaper beer, I'll drink a couple Coors or BLs before I start on Stones or Natty. It's just a taste thing for me. I think the slightly more expensive beers have a better taste. After a few, it doesn't really matter.

For me, if I have the choice between paying $9 for a 12 of Coors Light or $12 for a 30 pack of Natty, I still go with the Coors. Not economical, but it's what I prefer.

Yeah, in honesty, I should have distinguished between Natty, Beast, cobra .....which is not meant for human consumption past the age of whenever-fuck-you-can-afford-better-beer.........and average to at worst below average beer.
JCoz

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:56 pm

JCoz wrote:Yeah, in honesty, I should have distinguished between Natty, Beast, cobra .....which is not meant for human consumption past the age of whenever-fuck-you-can-afford-better-beer.........and average to at worst below average beer.

Well, it's a good topic, though. Personally, I won't drink Miller High Life. Got sick off it once, will never drink it again. Thanks to the advent of beer pong, I've had most of those cheap beers. I've had Busch, Natty, Beast, Stones, MHL, and basically whatever else you can think of. But if I lost, or we were between games, I went to the fridge in my room and got a Labatt or a Coors. I had a Rolling Rock phase for a bit.

I've drank Iron City Light at Mountaineer. I can't say I've ever had a PBR, many people tell me I'm missing out. Never had Blatz either. I've heard I'm not missing out there.

I think you just start drinking something and stick with it. I drink Labatt because I play hockey and that's what all my hockey buddies drank. Once I was old enough to go out with them, I drank what they drank. I adopted Coors for when bars have specials on domestics.

I would imagine that some people drink what their fathers/grandfathers drank. My grandpa loved Genesee. I've never had one. My dad doesn't drink. So, as I said above, I drink what my buddies drank. It almost becomes second nature. I'll walk in to the beer cave and genuinely look around, but I always walk out with the same stuff. Coors or Labatt.

For what it's worth, I suggest you try the Clevelander's own brew next time you go downtown for a game. It was $5 for a pitcher and it was worth the price.
A God Damn dead man would understand that if a minor league bus in any city took a real sharp right turn, a Zack McCalister would likely fall out. - Lead Pipe
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:09 pm

skatingtripods wrote: Personally, I won't drink Miller High Life. Got sick off it once, will never drink it again.

Pussy. That stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Meh....it is all subjective. I'll eat burgers or chicken or pork chops or ribs if that's what you're cooking. I'll also eat the bone-in ribeye. ;-) ;) :wink:

Depends where I am.

I've enjoyed Coors Light as much as I've enjoyed the shit I make myself. All depends on the people and the surroundings.

Someone (I believe it was my uncle) mentioned Yeungling. I will drive the 40 miles to Erie to make that my utlitarian beer if I have the opportunity. Otherwise, whatever is in the fridge is fine. I grew up on Blatz, OM, etc.

I ain't above any of it today.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby skatingtripods » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:20 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Pussy. That stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.

So what you're saying is that your sex life is extinct?
skatingtripods
Sloth Duncan

Unread postby Cease » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:25 pm

OK, what BEER are you drinking 5Q...

1. Your fantasy football draft:

2. La Cav du Vin (or a wine bar w/ BEER selection):

3. Backyard BBQ at your house:

4. Winking Lizard (happy hour):

5. Death row:
Cease

Unread postby Cease » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:30 pm

1. Your fantasy football draft: Coors Light

2. La Cav du Vin (or a wine bar w/ BEER selection): St. Bernardus 10

3. Backyard BBQ at your house: LaBatt Blue

4. Winking Lizard (happy hour): Arrogant Bastard

5. Death row: Milwaukee's Best Light, in honor of the University of Dayton
Cease

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:31 pm

skatingtripods wrote:

Yes, I'm married.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:32 pm

Cease wrote:OK, what BEER are you drinking 5Q...

5. Death row:

1. Coors Light
2. GLB on tap or winery's micro-brew like Cellar Rat at Debonne'
3. Yeungling (which includes their Black and Tan and their Chesterfield Ale)
4. Micro special/Yeungling/Whatever the tap special may be.
5. Cornerstone brewing porter or stout.

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby motherscratcher » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 pm

It's all good, as long as you're not an arrogant doosh.

I was at a party at BG for a friend's frat. My friend and I were picking up the beer. Natty light was $10 less than BL. This is significant when you're getting 20 kegs. Some Ahole decided he was the brewmaster or something and INSISTED that it MUST be BL. It just tastes that much better. So, we got 20 kegs of Natty and had the distributor give us 20 of those plastic caps that cover the tap. The caps read Bud Light. Basically we got kegs of Natty with BL caps. Got them back and tapped the first one. The AHole gets a glass and drinks, raises his glass up in a toast and says "See fellas, that's where that extra $10 went."

So, as long as you aren't that dooshnozzle, drink what you like. I like some of the "better" stuff. My best friend pretty much sticks to Bud Light. When I'm boozin with him I usually do too.

That being said, there ARE good and bad beer, and it isn't just a matter of opinion. Great Lakes Commadore Perry IPA is better than Miller Lite. It just is. Doesn't mean you like it better. Doesn't make you a bad person if you prefer Miller Lite. I just can't tell you what the difference is.

No different than Wine, Art, Cars, Music, and any number of things. Smarter people than me can tell you which ones are better and why. But, "better" does exist beyond personal preferences.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby FUDU » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:04 am

If one doesn't have a good palate for beer then it comes down to simple drink-ability IMO.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby waborat » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:44 am

Miller High Life

Debonne's Cellar Rat that tastes closest to MHL

MHL

MHL

5. Death row:

Pussy juice
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:28 am

1. Your fantasy football draft: old dominion oak barrell stout

2. La Cav du Vin (or a wine bar w/ BEER selection):Do wine bars have a beer selection? Never been to one. But I like wine, I don't generally discriminate between alcohol types.

3. Backyard BBQ at your house: Schneider Weisse

4. Winking Lizard (happy hour): Blue Moon or dos equis amber if on sale, would adjust otherwise

5. Death row: Conway's
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:35 am

skatingtripods wrote:Well, it's a good topic, though. Personally, I won't drink Miller High Life. Got sick off it once, will never drink it again. Thanks to the advent of beer pong, I've had most of those cheap beers. I've had Busch, Natty, Beast, Stones, MHL, and basically whatever else you can think of. But if I lost, or we were between games, I went to the fridge in my room and got a Labatt or a Coors. I had a Rolling Rock phase for a bit.

Funny you mention that, beer pong is what finally got me completely away from Bud and such...if that stuff sits for any considerable about of time (when everyone is drunk and is missing cups) it tastes so bad to me I could gag.

I'm spoiled here though. Besides knowing about 5 people who brew excellent beer, this is the store I have literally 1000 feet away from my house:

http://www.wineaccess.com/file/store/totalwine/beer-corridorwine.pdf

And that is just the beer selection. They have hundreds of wines and every liquor you can imagine.

It's the drinking man's Disneyland. I never come out two time in a row with exactly the same thing in my hand.
JCoz

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:02 am

But doesn't everything come down to subjectivity?.......

No. Every discussion comes to to establishing rational criteria, and then evaluating logically based upon that rational criteria.
jb

Unread postby dem425 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:15 am

No. Every discussion comes to to establishing rational criteria, and then evaluating logically based upon that rational criteria.

Yeah, and these boards are just hemoragging with folks that have rational criteria.........

Just sayin'
dem425

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:38 am

skatingtripods wrote:
Erie Warrior wrote:Pussy. That stuff will make you a god damned sexual Tyrannosaurus, just like me.

Someone has never watched "Predator".

I digress. In terms of someone's taste, I think its purely a matter of what a person has been exposed to. I would make the argument that any dude out there who's favorites are Coors, Bud, and the like would change their tunes if they tried other mild lagers like Sierra Nevada Summerfest, Victory Prima Pils, and Hofbrau Original or their Marzen/Oktoberfest.

In terms of knowledgeable beer people rating those Big Brews as "good", the number is fairly small. Just go to Beeradvocate.com and see the rating for all the American Adjunct Lagers. In respect to your question, IMO its completely fair to say those beers are average or shitty compared to most equivalent craft brews.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Favorite Player: Mexican Cooking
Least Favorite Player: 99% of all humans

Unread postby jb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:45 am

dem425 wrote:

Yeah, and these boards are just hemoragging with folks that have rational criteria.........

Just sayin'

:lmfao:

So true, so true.
jb

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:53 am

Cease wrote:OK, what BEER are you drinking 5Q...

1. Your fantasy football draft: Ayinger Celebrator

2. La Cav du Vin (or a wine bar w/ BEER selection): Oh Christ...um.....Rochefort 10??? Too many to pick

3. Backyard BBQ at your house: Any good Hefe - Ayinger, Flying Dog In Heat, HB Hefe, Paulaner, Schneider Weisse

4. Winking Lizard (happy hour): Today its Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous.

5. Death row: A vicious 6 pack consisting of 1 bottle each: Tactical Nuclear Penguin, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, Alesmith Speedway Stout, Eku 28 Dopplebock, Westvleteren 12, Schneider Aventinus.
"All Beckett needs to do to cap off this mess is order some fried chicken and beer" – 5/10/12 before Beckett got chased in the 3rd at Fenway.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby swerb » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:47 pm

I've jumped on the microbrew train hard ... but the traditional American lagers still have their place.

With regards to microbrews, bottom line is this - they taste better and you get drunk 3x as fast. There's something for everyone these days too. Great Lakes, Dogfish Head, and Bells. That's my trio ... has been for some time now. Three out of this world breweries that make world class and highly potent beers.

When I am out though ... have to drive, I almost always drink one of the American light beers. Maybe start off with one microbrew before going to the lights. And I really have no preference. Miller Lite, Coors Light, Bud Light ... it's all the same to me.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:45 am

I have an opinion on this subject.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:32 am

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have an opinion on this subject.

"Ale is for Barbarians."
Yep heard that one. And Wild Turkey is for wife beaters and backwater folks who have run out of moonshine.

J/K CDT, to each his own. I actually love Red Breast and Wild Turkey made for one of the wildest nights I've ever had. When my buddy got back from Afghanistan (by way of Walter Reed cuz his APV got hit by an RPG or artillery, cant remember which) we polished off a bottle damn quick between the 2 of us. Not that I'll ever do THAT again, but it was well worth it and for a good cause.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:28 pm

I love Imports, but if i'm having a get together for a game or whatnot, i'll get a bunch of Bud/Bud Light or Coors Light, both of those beers taste fine to me and are good brew imo.

And I don't wear wife beaters....... ;-) ;) :wink:
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:39 pm

swerb wrote:With regards to microbrews, bottom line is this - they taste better and you get drunk 3x as fast. There's something for everyone these days too. Great Lakes, Dogfish Head, and Bells. That's my trio ... has been for some time now. Three out of this world breweries that make world class and highly potent beers.

I agree on GLBC and Dogfish, have never really had Bells that I know of. If you ever get out this way or in these states http://odellbrewing.com/about/distribution you must find these beers. For me it is the only brewery that has as good of a line top to bottom as GLBC. I have a feeling you would like it. They just expanded so hopefully for you all they expand their distribution as well.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby motherscratcher » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:21 pm

GLBC and Bells have been my long time top 2. I haven't had enough Dogfish Head to really give a good opinion.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:56 am

swerb wrote:I've jumped on the microbrew train hard ... but the traditional American lagers still have their place.

With regards to microbrews, bottom line is this - they taste better and you get drunk 3x as fast. There's something for everyone these days too. Great Lakes, Dogfish Head, and Bells. That's my trio ... has been for some time now. Three out of this world breweries that make world class and highly potent beers.

When I am out though ... have to drive, I almost always drink one of the American light beers. Maybe start off with one microbrew before going to the lights. And I really have no preference. Miller Lite, Coors Light, Bud Light ... it's all the same to me.

Hey, if you gotta drive, 60-minute is there for you when you need it, lol.

Also big into DFH (I go their MD brewery 3 times a month probably), but my store has hundreds of other I like to try out.
JCoz

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:26 pm

JCoz wrote:Hey, if you gotta drive, 60-minute is there for you when you need it, lol.

Also big into DFH (I go their MD brewery 3 times a month probably), but my store has hundreds of other I like to try out.

Have you tried that "B#$ches Brew"? I have heard great things, but I haven't seen it anywhere here in northeast Ohio.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:52 pm

RickNashEquilibrium wrote:
JCoz wrote:Hey, if you gotta drive, 60-minute is there for you when you need it, lol.

Have you tried that "B#$ches Brew"? I have heard great things, but I haven't seen it anywhere here in northeast Ohio.

I had plans to run over and grab a growler of it but I haven't been able to yet.

My brothers are coming in town for the Miami game though so I will have some by Friday next week.
JCoz

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:02 pm

JCoz wrote:

I had plans to run over and grab a growler of it but I haven't been able to yet.

My brothers are coming in town for the Miami game though so I will have some by Friday next week.

It sounds like you live near the MD area so you must have Hook and Ladder brews available yes? Their Backdraught Brown is top 3 in all English Brown Ales I've tried. DFH's is damn good as well as Smuttynose Old Brown and Avery Ellie's.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:07 pm

I hadn't had it before but I looked it up and we have it all over here.

Thanks for the tip I'll try and give all those a shot.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:02 pm

JCoz wrote:

It sounds like you live near the MD area so you must have Hook and Ladder brews available yes? Their Backdraught Brown is top 3 in all English Brown Ales I've tried. DFH's is damn good as well as Smuttynose Old Brown and Avery Ellie's.

Are you ever in the MD area?

Probably my favorite restaurant and brewery here is Duclaw. Nothing extreme in terms of alcohol content but several really good offering and the menu is excellent.

Beer advocate has review on most of their stuff.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:12 pm

JCoz wrote:Are you ever in the MD area?

Probably my favorite restaurant and brewery here is Duclaw. Nothing extreme in terms of alcohol content but several really good offering and the menu is excellent.

Where in MD are you JCoz?

peeker643
Duly Noted

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:02 pm

peeker643 wrote:
JCoz wrote:Are you ever in the MD area?

Where in MD are you JCoz?

Almost dead center between DC and Baltimore. Laurel in Anne Arundel.

I am literally half a mile from Ft Meade.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:09 pm

JCoz wrote:

I picked up a six of the Hook and Ladder, gonna try it out tonight.
JCoz

Unread postby RickNashEquilibrium » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:19 pm

JCoz wrote:I picked up a six of the Hook and Ladder, gonna try it out tonight.

Well played. I'm a drinking a Hofbrau Hefe right now. Great thirst quencher after a 13 hour day at the office.
RickNashEquilibrium
Beer, Bitch

Next

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry