Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Ribs?

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Ribs?

Unread postby mswerb » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:20 pm

Anyone have a favorite place to get good ribs? Ever since Tony Roma's skipped town I have been searching for good ribs. The ribs at Fox and Hound were good, but I think they got them from the old Tony Roma's that used to be next to them a while back.

Great new forum Dick. :P :-P :razz:
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:29 pm

Good pal of mine, Ernie Roma (S4Aero on the boards), owns a piece of the Tony Roma's in Brunswick and Solon. Stop in there, tell him you're part of the Cleveland Fan family, and he may throw a free lemon wedge in your water.

In all seriousness, I miss the Romas in Mentor. Was my wifes favorite place to go eat. Nothing like a nice tender rack of messy ribs with 3-4 ice cold draft brews.

You know who has GREAT ribs? Outback Steakhouse. Very good. That's where I go to cure my rib jones now that Roma's moved out of Mentor.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby dragonmeister » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:27 am

Nothing like Pacers' ribs in Euclid!

http://www.pacersgrill.com/
dragonmeister

Unread postby mswerb » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:54 pm

Pacers is right around the corner from me. I've been there a few times, but never got their ribs. Thanks guys.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby General » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:32 pm

When I lived in Mayfield Heights the Beef Ribs at Tony Romas was like crack to me, also I used to drive down to a place in Collinwood called the Southern Rib House (I think) near E152/Saint Clare.
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby mswerb » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:00 pm

Hit up Pacers tonight, not too bad. Nowhere near Tony Roma's in my book though. Good food at a good price in a laid back atmosphere.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:54 am

FWIW, this is the rib recipe I use when making them at home. It's Alton Browns from the Food Network show "Good Eats" (great show).

Very, very good recipe. Give it a try sometime ...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... 25,00.html

Who Loves Ya Baby-Back?
Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show: Good Eats
Episode: A Rib For All Seasons

2 whole slabs pork baby back ribs
Dry Rub:
8 tablespoons light brown sugar, tightly packed
3 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon jalapeno seasoning
1/2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 teaspoon rubbed thyme
1/2 teaspoon onion powder

Braising Liquid:
1 cup white wine
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon honey
2 cloves garlic, chopped

Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
In a bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix well. Place each slab of baby back ribs on a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, shiny side down. Sprinkle each side generously with the dry rub. Pat the dry rub into the meat. Refrigerate the ribs for a minimum of 1 hour. In a microwavable container, combine all ingredients for the braising liquid. Microwave on high for 1 minute.

Place the ribs on a baking sheet. Open one end of the foil on each slab and pour half of the braising liquid into each foil packet. Tilt the baking sheet in order to equally distribute the braising liquid. Braise the ribs in the oven for 2 1/2 hours.

Transfer the braising liquid into a medium saucepot. Bring the liquid to a simmer and reduce by half or until of a thick syrup consistency. Brush the glaze onto the ribs. Place under the broiler just until the glaze caramelizes lightly. Slice each slab into 2 rib bone portions. Place the remaining hot glaze into a bowl and toss the rib portions in the glaze.

*This recipe makes several batches of dry rub. If more rub is needed, it can be extended by any amount, as long as the ratio of 8:3:1:1 remains the same.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Re: Ribs?

Unread postby intenso » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:09 am

mswerb wrote:Anyone have a favorite place to get good ribs?

yeah, Memphis. 8) :cool: 8-)
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby mswerb » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:51 pm

Just visited Smokey Bones in Mentor last Friday, scored some baby back ribs. Fantastic. Walking into the place makes you hungry. Their fresh donuts are a hit too.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:58 pm

mswerb wrote:Just visited Smokey Bones in Mentor last Friday, scored some baby back ribs. Fantastic. Walking into the place makes you hungry. Their fresh donuts are a hit too.

I've been there 3-4 times, and loved it every time. The brisket is solid there too. You don't leave that joint hungry, I'll tell you that much.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:35 am

"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Dozen » Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:02 am

mswerb wrote:Anyone have a favorite place to get good ribs? Ever since Tony Roma's skipped town I have been searching for good ribs. The ribs at Fox and Hound were good, but I think they got them from the old Tony Roma's that used to be next to them a while back.

Burgers and Beer in downtown Willoughby serves the original Tony Roma'a ribs by the bone. One of the owners family members used to own TR's.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby mswerb » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:28 pm

Dozen wrote:
mswerb wrote:Anyone have a favorite place to get good ribs? Ever since Tony Roma's skipped town I have been searching for good ribs. The ribs at Fox and Hound were good, but I think they got them from the old Tony Roma's that used to be next to them a while back.

Burgers and Beer in downtown Willoughby serves the original Tony Roma'a ribs by the bone. One of the owners family members used to own TR's.

That is AWESOME news!! I just may have to hit them up this weekend. Thanks a dozen, Dozen :P :-P :razz:
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:32 am

mswerb wrote:
Dozen wrote:

That is AWESOME news!! I just may have to hit them up this weekend. Thanks a dozen, Dozen :P :-P :razz:

No problem, it was just something I just litterally stumbled upon. (beer) :lol:
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry