Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Chardon Brewworks & Eatery

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Chardon Brewworks & Eatery

Unread postby hebner20 » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:30 pm

This place just opened Monday and by chance the wife and I were in Chardon for the first time in a long time and found this place on the square.

The food was top notch! I recommend it for that alone. We are not beer drinkers but we did have a glass of beer each( i had the Old Route 21 IPA I think that is the name - from a Stongsville brewery and Mrs. Hebner had their house brew - Working Man's Pale Ale) We also had a sampler of the other 4 beers they have on tap. From memory: Great Lakes Elliot Ness, Willoughby Brewing Dubble - A belgian style, A Russian stout, and Cellar Rats Pilsner of Debonne Winery fame.

We ordered apple bourbon chicken over a bed of wild rice and a side of garlic mashed potatoes and the fish and chips. We split the two dishes so we could get an idea if they can serve up good food and we were both very pleased. I highly recommend the beer battered fish but the chicken was also very good with a nice smokey grilled flavor. The prices were very reasonable - about $12 for each dish and the portions were huge.

They also offer wines from South Rivery Winery which I believe is in Harpersfield not too fr from Debonne or Ferrante.

I am in no way affiliated with this place but i really have to give a thumbs up for the food. The beer I am unsure of since i do not know much about it. That IPA kicked my butt since it has 9% alcohol!
hebner20

Favorite Player: shoeless joe
Least Favorite Player: Barry Bonds

Re: Chardon Brewworks & Eatery

Unread postby waborat » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Thx for the update Heb...

I saw that they had a "coming soon" on the window, but didn't know they opened?

Nice to see they are using some local talent to drink...

I live a couple miles from the square which is right in my walking distance after 4 of those 9%ers
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Just heard my liver groan and the sigh deeply.

Getting easier to find quality brews round these here parts.

:thumb up:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:37 pm

1000 ft from my house.....this is dangerous, I love it. I should just turn my house into a hotel.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby waborat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:03 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:1000 ft from my house.....this is dangerous, I love it. I should just turn my house into a hotel.

Kyle's Bed 'N Breakfast...

Book it!
waborat

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:11 am

To top it off, I have no link or any real details, but in the latest edition of some Lake County Chatter type newspaper I got last week, there is also a Brew Your Own Brewery coming out that way somewhere.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby waborat » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:37 am

Pup wrote:To top it off, I have no link or any real details, but in the latest edition of some Lake County Chatter type newspaper I got last week, there is also a Brew Your Own Brewery coming out that way somewhere.

Sweet...

Chardon's also got a diner called Spinner's on Rt 44 that let you bring in your own beer & wine at no charge when you're eating breakfast, lunch or dinner...Makes for some interesting Friday fish fry's

Hey Kyle, have you checked out the new all beef jerky store in town yet??? I gotta get there
waborat

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:20 pm

I havent made it there yet, but im going to drop in and see if he needs any help....
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby waborat » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Is this place where the old Sabastian's was?

Probably gonna hit it up next week
waborat

Unread postby hebner20 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:01 pm

waborat wrote:Is this place where the old Sabastian's was?

Probably gonna hit it up next week

Don't know but it is on the square in Chardon I am sure you can find it. Below is a link to their facebook page. Hope you have a good time.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chardon-O ... 8238761754
hebner20

Unread postby waborat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:09 pm

Went last night with a couple of friends and I hate to say that we were disappointed overall...

It is where the old Sabastians was on the square which my wife and I both liked, but I don't think Chardon was ready for a fine dining Italian joint...Unfortunately when you walk in the place it still looks just like Sab's did...A little too formal looking for a microbrewery IMO and they still use the old tables with the glass top-protectors which makes the plates slide all over the place when you're trying to cut something...They are even still using the old salt & pepper shakers from Sab's and I only know this because they are the size of dice and I made a comment about them last time I was in the building...weak

We walked in and had to wait over 5 minutes before the host finally came over to the podium and even then he was more worried about checking his chart then seeing how many were in our party...He told us would be about 30 minutes for a table and we headed upstairs to the bar area...Three of us ordered each of the house brews (one an Irish ale and the other a pale ale) and the bartender totally ignored my wife and didn't even ask her what she wanted...After we called her back over, she said that she never saw her even though we were sitting at the bar...ouch

The beers were pretty bad tasting and no one really cared for them...The Irish Ale tasted like an ashtray, honest...My wife was glad that she just ordered a Bud Light...My buddy and myself decided to change over to Cellar Rats (which I've always liked) and old reliable Elliot Ness from GL...

We were taken to our table and we ordered the buffalo chicken dip and the pretzel bits for appetizers…Our waitress seemed way out of her league as far as serving (and she was middle-aged) as we could tell because everytime we asked her for something she would run immediately before anyone else at the table could ask a question…Ex. “Can I have another beer?”, she would scram and not ask anyone else or wait to see if anyone else wanted something…Kinda made us laugh after awhile and we just went with it…

We were wondering where our appetizers were after about 15 minutes when our waitress brought us our bread and salads (?)…I honestly thought she forgot them because I don’t remember the last time I was served my salad before an app?...The salads were nice because they were made from Romaine & Bibb, not the flavorless Iceberg…

Here’s where our waitress pulled the best of the night… my buddy was done with his salad, but he had his buttered bread sitting in his bowl and my bowl was completely empty sitting in front of me…She reached over and pulled his fork and knife out of his bowl and told him to move the bread and took away his bowl!!! She left mine sitting in front of me…Friggin Classic!!!

Then our dip & pretzels finally arrived …Never been a big fan of Buffalo Chicken dip. But this stuff was good…The hot pretzel bites with chipotle sauce were nice as well…

All of our meals were good as we had the pork chops w/ mashed potatoes, fish & chips, chicken wrap & the beef stew in a bread bowl…Everyone liked their meals and like Hebner said, everything was reasonably priced…Also, they did have a big menu as far as burgers and sandwiches go, but not much in the way of entrees…

All-in-all the food was good, the service needs a lot of work, the atmosphere is blah and the beer selection was way below par...

Mitch would give this place a Spergon Wynn
waborat

Unread postby hebner20 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:32 pm

Wabo,

Sorry you had a bad time. I forgot to mention the service was a little shaky but i chalked it up to being their first few days of business. I stil think they have only been open less than a month. I really could not say much about the beer since i am not a beer guy but frankly the food won me over.

We actually ate at the bar due to a long wait for a table. (The bar has a better ambiance than the dining area) I agree the main dining area is very boring and unattractive.

I am planning on going back in a few weeks to try the menu again and will give another report. Hopefully they will hire some servers who know the basics and the menu.

regards
hebner20

Unread postby waborat » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:27 pm

hebner20 wrote:Wabo,

Sorry you had a bad time. I forgot to mention the service was a little shaky but i chalked it up to being their first few days of business. I stil think they have only been open less than a month. I really could not say much about the beer since i am not a beer guy but frankly the food won me over.

We actually ate at the bar due to a long wait for a table. (The bar has a better ambiance than the dining area) I agree the main dining area is very boring and unattractive.

I am planning on going back in a few weeks to try the menu again and will give another report. Hopefully they will hire some servers who know the basics and the menu.

regards

I'm willing to give it another chance as well Heb...

Although it will be for lunch or the AYCE Sunday brunch for $9...

But as far as a brewery goes, they've got a looooong way to go to get even close to a GLB, Willoughby or Cornerstone
waborat

Unread postby hebner20 » Sat May 01, 2010 9:31 pm

Went there again today mostly for the food since i am not a beer expert. Went early to avoid crowds and the place was lightly sprinkled with customers. Service was very good and we got our food fast but again they were not very busy. (Went in at about 4:30)

I ordered the beer battered fish and my wife had a strawberry salad with walnuts and romaine lettuce. The salad was good but was a little plain. No cucumbers,tomatoes peppers or anything else. The fish was as good as the last time but they were out of the beer batter so they gave me a seasoned batter. They did this without asking me and after we were done the waitress asked how it was and i mentioned that I wanted the plain beer batter and she told me they were out so they substituted the seasoned one. Bottom line the food was still very good (salad was a little plain) but they are still working out the kinks with their wait staff.

We choose to eat at the upstairs bar but i think i would eat at the main dining area. I think they need to limit the lighting at night so it is not so bright and then there will be a little more atmoshphere. Also, eating in the front of the restaurant by the sidewalk gives a good view of the square which was nice today and could be pretty at night in winter if they have christmas lights.

I think we are going to continue going here whenever we can get out to chardon - good food at a decent price. Nothing special but i assume they will improve service and maybe get better with the brewery. They had a maple syrup porter today and an irish red ale but i can't judge if it was good or not.
hebner20

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry