Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Mustards other than Bertmans

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Mustards other than Bertmans

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:11 pm

Tried this for the first time today. VERY good if you like really hot mustards.

"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Mustards other than Bertmans

Unread postby FUDU » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:57 pm

I do not consider myself a mustard man (usually only use Bertmans or standard Big 12 yellow) but doesn't horseradish kind of change the game when it comes to mustards? Is it really mustard at that point?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby papacass » Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:43 pm

I'm picky about mustard. At Progressive Field, hot dog in hand, only Bertman's. Yellow mustard is wack at the ballpark. I think it's sort of wack that they don't have it at The Q, but eating a hot dog at a basketball game is sustenance. Eating a hot dog at a baseball game should be a unique experience, depending on the park/city.

Backyard grilling, I prefer your standard yellow mustard on dogs and burgers. Turkey and ham sandwiches, I rather like dijon.

I love the blister-packed yellow mustard that you get with Chinese take-out. I put that on everything from egg rolls to lo mein to chow mein and everything in between. What I can't stand is the super-hot grayish mustard that you get at the table in the sit-down Chinese places. It is absolutely all pain and no taste. All it does is singe your olfactory nerves and make your eyes water. I see absolutely no point to ever putting that on your food.

(Told you I was picky.)
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby swerb » Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:33 pm

I'm the exact opposite on the Chinese food mustard Cass. Love the insanely hot version. Enjoy punishing myself by pouring some on every bite I take of my egg roll. The stuff in the packets ... never been fond of it.

I always have four different variations in the fridge. The staple bottle of Bertmans. The plain yella mustard for my wife, and to leave out when we cook out. Some sort of spicy brown, usually Guldens. And a gimmick mustard from Heinens, the West Side Market, or that one place in Legacy Village with all the mustards and spices.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:30 pm

http://www.garlicfestival.com/cat_summa ... cat=Garlic Mustards

These guys are at the IX center every year and they have the best garlic products on earth. They are from California, and its definitely worth paying for the shipping costs.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby jack_tors » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:57 am

Since the store didnt have the Horseradish Mustard, I tried this Inglehoffer flavor instead. It is excellent stuff, best mustard I have had in a while. Makes me want to try to horseradish kind even more.

“Baseball is like church. Many attend but few understand.”- Wes Westrum

"The future is like a Japanese game show, we have no idea whats going on." - Tracy Jordan

"Gentlemen, Chicolini here may talk like an idiot and look like an idiot, but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot."
-Rufus T. Firefly
jack_tors

Favorite Player: Mike Modano
Least Favorite Player: LeChoke James

Unread postby khetti » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:13 am

I believe Inglehoffer also makes a wasabi mustard, which I have yet to try, but it always intrigues me.

Plochman's sells their standard yellow mustard with Tabasco sauce in it called Chicago Fire. It is just OK, nothing special.

I normally gravitate towards stone-ground mustards, and normally in a jar rather than a squeeze bottle, because I like to use a knife and slather my sandwich in delicious mustard before each bite. Plochman's stone-ground is actually pretty decent in the jar. Inglehoffer stone ground is good, too, just can't seem to find it in a jar.

However, when the mustard is not ground enough (i.e. the seeds are still relatively whole), I find that the mustard can actually be a bit too dry, especially if I pack a sandwich in my lunch in the morning. By the time I eat, the bread seems to have absorbed any residual vinegar/liquid and all that's left is the seeds.

Then again, I have been known to also eat Sriracha on just about everything, so mustard takes a back seat most of the time.
khetti

Favorite Player: Kip
Least Favorite Player: Big Ben's Fat Face

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry