Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Whole chicken

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Whole chicken

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:11 pm

I have one brining in the refrigerator right now, to cook tonight. It's just my wife an I, so I figure this thing is going to be good for at least three meals (roasted chicken tonight, chicken salad from the leftovers, soup stock from the carcass). The thing is, this is the first time I've done any of this, so I wondered if anyone had any good tips for any of the process. One thing I'm thinking about doing is taking the wings off before cooking and freezing them, to build up a supply for a nice wing meal sometime.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Whole chicken

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:04 pm

Don't know about removing the wings - don't want to lose any juices from the bird.

Simple -Rinse and dry thouroughly. Rub skin liberally with butter or oil. Salt, pepper, and whatever else you want - be aggressive. Quarter an onion and throw in the cavity. Maybe throw in a quartered lemon as well. Breast side up at 350 until juices run clear, (or use a meat thermometer) anywhere from 1 hour 15 minutes to longer, depending on the size of your bird. Breast meat will cook faster than the thighs, so check both. Enjoy.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby aoxo1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:36 pm

Build a smokehouse and smoke it. Finest chicken you'll ever have.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby mattvan1 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:33 pm

aoxo1 wrote:Build a smokehouse and smoke it. Finest chicken you'll ever have.

Or, if that's too complicated, ;-) ;) :wink: ...........basic beer can chicken.

Gas or charcoal grill. Medium fire (around 350)

Open a can of full favored beer. Drink 1/4. Pour hot sauce or worchestershire or soy or something in the can for flavor. Wing sauce works well also. Maybe stick a stem of rosemary in the can. Rub the chicken with oil. Season well with salt, pepper, and whatever else you like. Invert the bird and insert the entire can into the cavity, so the carcass is upright and resting on the can. Close the lid on the grill and watch football. Ready to eat in 90 minutes. The contents of the can keep the bird mosit and the charcoal gives a great flavor. Foolproof (almost)
mattvan1

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:27 am

I respectfully disagree.

Build a Poppeye's. Inseret chicken.

BTW - W/ GE selling $ 4.99 rotisserie chickens, no reason not to just shortcut the cooking.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:39 am

Fry them whole, it was good enough for this guy...

Jake: Four fried chickens and a Coke.
Elwood: And some dry white toast please
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:11 pm

mattvan1 wrote:

Or, if that's too complicated, ;-) ;) :wink: ...........basic beer can chicken.

Gas or charcoal grill. Medium fire (around 350)

Open a can of full favored beer. Drink 1/4. Pour hot sauce or worchestershire or soy or something in the can for flavor. Wing sauce works well also. Maybe stick a stem of rosemary in the can. Rub the chicken with oil. Season well with salt, pepper, and whatever else you like. Invert the bird and insert the entire can into the cavity, so the carcass is upright and resting on the can. Close the lid on the grill and watch football. Ready to eat in 90 minutes. The contents of the can keep the bird mosit and the charcoal gives a great flavor. Foolproof (almost)

Yeah, but if you build a quality one you can use it over and over again.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby dmiles » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:07 am

This Beer Can Chicken sounds good. Let me ask I have the typical 3 burner gas grill. Since the heat is indirect do you turn the two side burners on and place the bird in the middle? Or just turn on the middle burner and place the bird over one of the side burners?
On Twitter @DaBashers
dmiles

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:39 pm

dmiles wrote:This Beer Can Chicken sounds good. Let me ask I have the typical 3 burner gas grill. Since the heat is indirect do you turn the two side burners on and place the bird in the middle? Or just turn on the middle burner and place the bird over one of the side burners?

Just close the lid and treat it like an oven. I would pre heat with all 3, then put the chicken in the middle and turn off the center burner. Fiddle with the outside 2 to keep the temp around 350.
mattvan1

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:57 pm

Just to get back on what I've learned...

I thaw the whole bird (around 4 pounds) in the microwave. Heat the oven to 350 with a 12" cast-iron skillet inside, then toss the bird breast-side up in the skillet. Cook for 75-90 minutes. Lots of great roasted meat for the two of us.

Then, once the remainder of the bird cools down enough to touch it, shred the rest of the meat and refrigerate for chicken salad. Take the remainder of the carcass and simmer with a carrot, stalk of celery, and an onion (all halved). That makes killer chicken stock.

Basically, from one fryer/roaster chicken, I can make 4-5 meals easily, and all are yummy delicious.

I will try the beer can grilling method, once I have a grill.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:58 pm

jfiling wrote:Just to get back on what I've learned...

I thaw the whole bird (around 4 pounds) in the microwave. Heat the oven to 350 with a 12" cast-iron skillet inside, then toss the bird breast-side up in the skillet. Cook for 75-90 minutes. Lots of great roasted meat for the two of us.

Then, once the remainder of the bird cools down enough to touch it, shred the rest of the meat and refrigerate for chicken salad. Take the remainder of the carcass and simmer with a carrot, stalk of celery, and an onion (all halved). That makes killer chicken stock.

Basically, from one fryer/roaster chicken, I can make 4-5 meals easily, and all are yummy delicious.

I will try the beer can grilling method, once I have a grill.

Rub the bird with some butter or oil for a crispy skin. Salt and pepper. Also, make sure you remove the plastic bag from the cavity (usually has the gizzards and neck). I avoid at all costs thawing large cuts of raw meat in the mirowave. I would prefer to set it on a plate in the fridge for 2-3 days. If you do want to go the nuke approach, make sure the bird goes straight into a hot oven.
mattvan1

Unread postby jfiling » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:44 pm

Also, make sure you remove the plastic bag from the cavity (usually has the gizzards and neck). I avoid at all costs thawing large cuts of raw meat in the mirowave. I would prefer to set it on a plate in the fridge for 2-3 days. If you do want to go the nuke approach, make sure the bird goes straight into a hot oven.

It did go right in the oven. Also, I've learned that one of my cats likes me to simmer the gizzards (the bag in this chicken only had a neck and a huge liver), and drop it in a bowl for him. I thought the liver was delicious, but he damn near took off one of my fingers when I put the bowl in front of him. I might start saving the livers for pate.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby Lebowski » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:05 pm

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/chicken-in-milk

Try this.

Sounds gross, but its damn good. Restaurant quality chicken.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:21 pm

Lebowski wrote:http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/chicken-in-milk

Try this.

Sounds gross, but its damn good. Restaurant quality chicken.

That looks incredible. Next time I want to get a bit fancier with the chicken I'll try that.

I still can't get over what a great deal these chickens are, though. Acme has boneless chicken breasts on sale for $2.99/lb., which isn't bad, but nowhere near the deal of getting 3-4 meals for 2 out of a $.99/lb. whole bird. Plus, giblets for the cats.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm going to try this as soon as I buy another whole chicken. Wish I'd done it for Thanksgiving, a friend did and was able to cook a 17.5 lb. bird in 2 hours. Amazing. Even if the word "spatchcock" is disturbing.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009 ... ecipe.html
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby Lubber » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:52 pm

Canadian Steak seasoning
Put it in the Set It and Forget It oven and you have a delicious bird in about an hour.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Shared wisdom, if needed

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:35 pm

I've taken to cooking my chickens in a 9"x13" pyrex baking dish. Last night, after removing the chicken I decided to turn the juices into a sauce on the stove top.

DO NOT DO THIS, EVER!

Unless you enjoy cleaning up the remnants of an exploded glass baking dish, pyrex should never be used on the top of the stove. Damn shame, too, because the sauce was going to be gorgeous, and now I'm short one baking dish.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry