Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Going to work in Ashland, OH for the next couple of months

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Going to work in Ashland, OH for the next couple of months

Unread postby RC » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:58 am

Next week I'll be staying in a hotel in Ashland until Xmas taking care of stuff for my work.

I only know the bare minimum of the area and was wondering if anyone on this board knows of any good places to get food.

I like Mexican, seafood, and really just about anything else. I just like to go to places that aren't chains if possible.

Any ideas?

Also, I'm staying at a hotel pretty close to Grandpa's Cheese Barn right off I-71.
RC
Keepin' The Faith In Y-Town

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Chris Grant

Re: Going to work in Ashland, OH for the next couple of months

Unread postby mswerb » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:21 pm

My job takes me to Ashland twice a week, and there is not much to see. There is a Mexican restaraunt right in town, but the name escapes me. Jake's is a steak house, BW's is also there, Besta Fasta is good for pizza( voted best in Ashland).
Where will you be working and when? I will ask around for info.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Favorite Player: MJ
Least Favorite Player: Anyone from DOOK

Unread postby pup » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:10 am

F that place (the college at least)
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby mswerb » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:21 pm

The college is one of my stops.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:25 am

Unfortunately I live there and so can tell you all you need to know. The mexican restaurant used to be named Casa Fiesta but was recently changed to Charra Fiesta. The food is good but it has some *ahem* history i.e. health code violations and funny enough, illegal immigrant violations. Grampa's cheese barn is right on the outskirts of Ashland so you'll be doing some driving (not much, it's about 15-20 minutes to get across town or at leas to get to anything worth going to). Jake's is a steakhouse right on 250 (same road as Grampa's Cheese Barn) and has good food and good happy hour. If you want breakfast you can't beat The Mill, which is a restaurant inside the Beuhler's grocery store. Going deeper into town has a few bars with good food. Also a newer place that just opened up a few months ago called Belly Buster's has great ribs/pork stuff, same road (250 turns into Main St) and it's right by the Sunoco. The guys that own it travel to rib cookoffs all the time and were just at the Ashland County Fair (what a shame for you to miss that spectacle). Someone mentioned Besta Fasta, I grew up with the guy whose parents own it (he basically runs it). It's got good pizza if you like tons (and I mean tons) of cheese and really good subs. It's a little before Belly Busters on the same road (250/Main St.) Deeper into Ashland is an excellent Italian restaurant called Sorella's. PM me if you got any more questions.

Don't know how old you are but there's zero night life to speak of. We just inebriate ourselves.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby jb » Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:42 pm

I think there's an old Dutch Pantry turned into a scrip clubz right off I 71, not unlike the Pukelit ED .

Or is that Rt 30 and Ashland is the Goasis?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby mswerb » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:11 pm

Goasis is a gas station right off of 71 at 250.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:32 pm

JB wrote:I think there's an old Dutch Pantry turned into a scrip clubz right off I 71, not unlike the Pukelit ED .

Or is that Rt 30 and Ashland is the Goasis?

There is a strip club pretty close to Rt 71 called Showtime. I think you've got to take 71 to Rt 30, then it's pretty close from there (I only know the backroads to it).
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby mswerb » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:35 pm

If it's the place I'm thinking of, it is right across the street from Phantom Fireworks. I think they have a statue of a Spartan-looking- dude on a horse?
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:14 am

mswerb wrote:If it's the place I'm thinking of, it is right across the street from Phantom Fireworks. I think they have a statue of a Spartan-looking- dude on a horse?

Ahhh, so it's a gay scriptz cluub?
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:29 pm

BTW - Ashland U has some of the best college food in the US per some publications. May want to stop in there for lunch if there aren't many options.
jb

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:36 pm

JB wrote:BTW - Ashland U has some of the best college food in the US per some publications. May want to stop in there for lunch if there aren't many options.

Wait, are you really suggesting a grown ass man go into a college cafeteria and eat?

I mean, I've eaten there and it is good, but you couldn't get me to walk in there today gun to my head.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby jb » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:59 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:
JB wrote:BTW - Ashland U has some of the best college food in the US per some publications. May want to stop in there for lunch if there aren't many options.

Wait, are you really suggesting a grown ass man go into a college cafeteria and eat?

I mean, I've eaten there and it is good, but you couldn't get me to walk in there today gun to my head.

Dude, it's Ashland.

How much McD's and Amish family style can you eat before the only other option is microwave burritos?? College food has come a long, long way in the past 5 - 10 years.
jb

Unread postby mswerb » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:19 pm

JB is right, AU has good food on the menu for the students. Once a year they have a food fair where they get to try out new items for the menu and the students actually have a say as to what is served. Not your typical cafeteria type food. A lot of homestyle meals. They have great chocolate chip cookies that they send out to potential students. At the same time, grilled chhese is one of the favorites. I deal with a few of the head chefs there and if you ask me, the students are kinda spoiled when it comes to getting their grub on. Great pizza too.
mswerb
Carolina Junkie

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:25 am

JB wrote:
e0y2e3 wrote:

Dude, it's Ashland.

How much McD's and Amish family style can you eat before the only other option is microwave burritos?? College food has come a long, long way in the past 5 - 10 years.

JB's right. I went to the AU cafeteria a couple times in high school and was blown away at the variety and quality of the food. Then I went to college in Cincinnati and was blown away... for the other reason. The food was terrible in the cafeteria, like prison food. Made me appreciate the AU food that much more. And the kicker, lots of cute college chicks to look at. Not as good in the winter when they're covering up, but still a plus.

As for the Amish, they're around, but it's not Pennsylvania or anything. Don't know about this Amish style cooking JB refers to as the most they do is sell fruit on the side of the road, no restaurants or anything. You want real home-style cooking you'll need to go to Loudonville, bout 15-20 minutes down the road from Ashland, couple good family restaurants there. If I'm not mistaken the Loudonville fair is going on right now. No real reason to go, other than something to do, which in Ashland is usually a good enough reason.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:33 am

My point has nothing to do w/ the quality of the food, it centers around being "that creepy guy sitting at a table eating alone in a packed cafeteria or ending up awkwardly in w/ a group of coeds"
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:55 am

e0y2e3 wrote:My point has nothing to do w/ the quality of the food, it centers around being "that creepy guy sitting at a table eating alone in a packed cafeteria or ending up awkwardly in w/ a group of coeds"

I got that but, eh. Just say you're a professor. Enough of them eat by themselves.

Just goes to show how boring Ashland is when a suggestion to go to the college cafeteria is plausible to the people that live there.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Unread postby jb » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:57 pm

e0y2e3 wrote:My point has nothing to do w/ the quality of the food, it centers around being "that creepy guy sitting at a table eating alone in a packed cafeteria or ending up awkwardly in w/ a group of coeds"

Nahhh.

Too many faculty and staff dine on campus. Too many parental visitors. Peeps might just figure RC is cooling his heels and his student is out on tour.
jb

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry