Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Homemade Pizza

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Homemade Pizza

Unread postby CohibaTC » Tue May 12, 2009 4:38 pm

I moved down to Memphis from Cleveland last January and was very surprised as to how bad the pizza selection is down here. Obviously Memphis is one of the BBQ capitals and not known for pizza, but good (or even edible) pizza down here is non-existent. They actually think that the chains (i.e. Pizza Hut, Papa Johns, and Dominos) is good pizza. To mask how bad the pizza is down here, they just throw BBQ on it. I don't think that is pizza with all that stuff thrown on top of it. I am more of a traditionalist and believe that a good pizza can be graded on the stand alone slice of cheese pizza, like Vincenza's downtown.

So after all this frustration with searching for a good pizza down here, I decided to make some myself. For my first effort, it wasn't all that bad, and much better than anything I could find here. But I was wondering if any of you guys make your own at home or had some good recipe you would want to share.
:cheers:
User avatar
CohibaTC
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:39 pm

Re: Homemade Pizza

Unread postby swerb » Tue May 12, 2009 4:44 pm

I try and make homemade pizzas once a month.

Have three smaller sized pizza stones. I love it, cause my wife and son like their pizza with nothing on it. Kid likes no cheese, wife likes light sauce. I like lots of cheese, sauce, and toppings. It's a nightmare when we order.

Make the pizza, the family gets their lame pizzas. I get mine, loaded with mozzarella, sauce, onions, pepperoni, and hot peppers.

Used to make the dough homemade. That stopped real quick when we had kids. I'll buy it now at Heinens or Alescis. Portion it into single pizza sized balls and freeze it. Take it out the night before.

Flatten it, brush it with some good oil, spread a little fresh garlic on there, load it up ... throw it on those preheated stones for 10-12 minutes ... and then tear it up with a cold beer.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17917
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Homemade Pizza

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue May 12, 2009 4:54 pm

Michael Ruhlman had this homemade-pizza-related entry on his blog recently:

http://blog.ruhlman.com/ruhlmancom/2009 ... pizza.html

Not traditional, but I'm sure you'd still find some useful information in there.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Homemade Pizza

Unread postby jfiling » Tue May 12, 2009 7:39 pm

I may have posted this before, I don't remember...

I like to buy this:
Image
I gently roll it out, and then gently shape it into a 12" cast iron skillet. This is my rig:
Image
Spread a thin layer of any tomato sauce, toss on some cheese and whatever toppings you choose, and bake for 12 minutes in a preheated 500 degree oven. The crust is sublime, the cheese bubbles, and there's really no cleanup.

EDIT: This bad boy would work even better, and I may have to buy one now. Especially using that crust to make a Chicago-style deep dish.
Image
https://secure.lodgemfg.com/storefront/ ... oduct=3937
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Homemade Pizza

Unread postby General » Wed May 13, 2009 7:49 am

Pizza selection is equally weak in Pensacola, we have fallen in love with DiGiorno, it is serviceable and costs 5 bucks at Wally's. :hide:

:spanky:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
User avatar
General
 
Posts: 1848
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:35 pm
Location: Pensacola
Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Re: Homemade Pizza

Unread postby jb » Wed May 13, 2009 7:56 am

Swerb wrote:I try and make homemade pizzas once a month.

Have three smaller sized pizza stones. I love it, cause my wife and son like their pizza with nothing on it. Kid likes no cheese, wife likes light sauce. I like lots of cheese, sauce, and toppings. It's a nightmare when we order.

Make the pizza, the family gets their lame pizzas. I get mine, loaded with mozzarella, sauce, onions, pepperoni, and hot peppers.

Used to make the dough homemade. That stopped real quick when we had kids. I'll buy it now at Heinens or Alescis. Portion it into single pizza sized balls and freeze it. Take it out the night before.

Flatten it, brush it with some good oil, spread a little fresh garlic on there, load it up ... throw it on those preheated stones for 10-12 minutes ... and then tear it up with a cold beer.



Dick is right. If you want to do pizza at home, go get yourself a stone. Get the thickest one you can. It absorbs all the moisture. If you can, get the wooden paddle as well. But you have to do the stone - that IS the secret. (unless you are going for Chicago style).

Other ideas....

If you buy the frozen italian bread dough in a grocery freezer and thaw it right and let it rise right, it is about as good as homemade from scratch and a hell of alot easier.

Do not use a rolling pin. Do not. Take the time to get the flour on your hands and work and stratch that by hand. It should take you a good 10 - 15 minutes. Don't rush it and don't tear it and get consistency of thickness. Spin it on your knuckles or let it hang from your knuckles and it shouldn't tear.

Pre heat the stone in the oven. Start slow so you don't crack it. Start preheating it at about 250 for 15 mins, go up to 350 for 10, and then finish with as high a heat as the box says the stone will allow w/ out cracking short of 500 F . Get that oven BUSTING with heat and preheated before you put the za in.

Put corn meal on the stone, and then cook the crust on the stone with no sauce of toppings for about 5 mins. It will make a huge dif in how the crust won't be soggy.

Take it out, sauce it, top it how you love it, and put it in for about 10 / 15 mins. When you look and check on it, look quickly so you don't let the heat out.

If you can get kick ass home made style dough from anitalian grocery like Rich suggests, big ups. But I'm guesing if youcould, you wouldn't be making it at home. Any dough kit that actually has you use real yeast and real flour can be pretty damn good. They key is time and patience and not letting it dry out. It has to rise, and THEN you gotta let it rest so it gets this elsatic quality.

Good luck.

PS - Think about going stamboli or calzone instad of pizza. It usually works better at home. Dunk it in sauce as you eat it. Kick ass.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Homemade Pizza

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:53 pm

JB wrote: Dick is right. If you want to do pizza at home, go get yourself a stone. Get the thickest one you can. It absorbs all the moisture. If you can, get the wooden paddle as well. But you have to do the stone - that IS the secret. (unless you are going for Chicago style).

Other ideas....

If you buy the frozen italian bread dough in a grocery freezer and thaw it right and let it rise right, it is about as good as homemade from scratch and a hell of alot easier.

Do not use a rolling pin. Do not. Take the time to get the flour on your hands and work and stratch that by hand. It should take you a good 10 - 15 minutes. Don't rush it and don't tear it and get consistency of thickness. Spin it on your knuckles or let it hang from your knuckles and it shouldn't tear.

Pre heat the stone in the oven. Start slow so you don't crack it. Start preheating it at about 250 for 15 mins, go up to 350 for 10, and then finish with as high a heat as the box says the stone will allow w/ out cracking short of 500 F . Get that oven BUSTING with heat and preheated before you put the za in.

Put corn meal on the stone, and then cook the crust on the stone with no sauce of toppings for about 5 mins. It will make a huge dif in how the crust won't be soggy.

Take it out, sauce it, top it how you love it, and put it in for about 10 / 15 mins. When you look and check on it, look quickly so you don't let the heat out.

If you can get kick ass home made style dough from anitalian grocery like Rich suggests, big ups. But I'm guesing if youcould, you wouldn't be making it at home. Any dough kit that actually has you use real yeast and real flour can be pretty damn good. They key is time and patience and not letting it dry out. It has to rise, and THEN you gotta let it rest so it gets this elsatic quality.

Good luck.

PS - Think about going stamboli or calzone instad of pizza. It usually works better at home. Dunk it in sauce as you eat it. Kick ass.


Mario freakin' Batali. Who knew? Next thing we know, you'll be making every receipe from The French Laundry Cookbook!
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3663
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Homemade Pizza

Unread postby jb » Thu May 14, 2009 10:59 am

mattvan1 wrote:
JB wrote: Dick is right. If you want to do pizza at home, go get yourself a stone. Get the thickest one you can. It absorbs all the moisture. If you can, get the wooden paddle as well. But you have to do the stone - that IS the secret. (unless you are going for Chicago style).

Other ideas....

If you buy the frozen italian bread dough in a grocery freezer and thaw it right and let it rise right, it is about as good as homemade from scratch and a hell of alot easier.

Do not use a rolling pin. Do not. Take the time to get the flour on your hands and work and stratch that by hand. It should take you a good 10 - 15 minutes. Don't rush it and don't tear it and get consistency of thickness. Spin it on your knuckles or let it hang from your knuckles and it shouldn't tear.

Pre heat the stone in the oven. Start slow so you don't crack it. Start preheating it at about 250 for 15 mins, go up to 350 for 10, and then finish with as high a heat as the box says the stone will allow w/ out cracking short of 500 F . Get that oven BUSTING with heat and preheated before you put the za in.

Put corn meal on the stone, and then cook the crust on the stone with no sauce of toppings for about 5 mins. It will make a huge dif in how the crust won't be soggy.

Take it out, sauce it, top it how you love it, and put it in for about 10 / 15 mins. When you look and check on it, look quickly so you don't let the heat out.

If you can get kick ass home made style dough from anitalian grocery like Rich suggests, big ups. But I'm guesing if youcould, you wouldn't be making it at home. Any dough kit that actually has you use real yeast and real flour can be pretty damn good. They key is time and patience and not letting it dry out. It has to rise, and THEN you gotta let it rest so it gets this elsatic quality.

Good luck.

PS - Think about going stamboli or calzone instad of pizza. It usually works better at home. Dunk it in sauce as you eat it. Kick ass.


Mario freakin' Batali. Who knew? Next thing we know, you'll be making every receipe from The French Laundry Cookbook!


I have made a French Maid scream my name, prefaced by "oh ! "....

They key is time and patience and not letting it dry out.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Homemade Pizza

Unread postby waborat » Thu May 14, 2009 11:17 am

Hey TC, it's pretty much just like Swerb & JB said...the stone IS a must have item...we buy our dough from either a local pizza joint (most of them will sell ya some for around $4) or at Heinen's up here

Get up here soon and we'll hit up Mama S's in Lil' Italia
User avatar
waborat
 
Posts: 4096
Joined: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:04 pm
Location: Concord
Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Homemade Pizza

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:41 pm

JB wrote: I have made a French Maid scream my name, prefaced by "oh ! "....

They key is time and patience and not letting it dry out.


http://www.wildsecrets.com.au/p/44079/taylor_the_french_maid_love_doll.html?aid=3045&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3663
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Homemade Pizza

Unread postby Ziner » Thu May 14, 2009 1:04 pm

mattvan1 wrote:
JB wrote: I have made a French Maid scream my name, prefaced by "oh ! "....

They key is time and patience and not letting it dry out.


http://www.wildsecrets.com.au/p/44079/taylor_the_french_maid_love_doll.html?aid=3045&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc


"oh".... I bet you did ;-) ;) :wink:

Image
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7058
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Homemade Pizza

Unread postby jb » Thu May 14, 2009 1:37 pm

Ziner wrote:
mattvan1 wrote:
JB wrote: I have made a French Maid scream my name, prefaced by "oh ! "....

They key is time and patience and not letting it dry out.


http://www.wildsecrets.com.au/p/44079/taylor_the_french_maid_love_doll.html?aid=3045&utm_source=getprice&utm_medium=cpc


"oh".... I bet you did ;-) ;) :wink:

Image



LMMFAO - Fakkin' NASTY!

Wher ethe F did you find that, Z ?!?!?!
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward


Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests