Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Making top round steak into a great meal

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Making top round steak into a great meal

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:01 pm

My wife bought a family pack of top round steaks at the grocery store, and they weren't very thickly cut. Two giant steaks, totaling 1.75 pounds. I grabbed one and threw it in a Ziploc 1-gallon freezer bag, and added by eyeball soy sauce, honey, steak sauce, tarragon vinegar, oil, and fresh ground pepper. Squeezed out the air and marinaded overnight. I took it out of the bag, rinsed it and put it on a cutting board to trim off all the fat. Cooked the steak for about 2 minutes per side in a hot cast iron skillet, and then let rest for five minutes. Now, I've had all sorts of round steaks, and they are usually tough customers, but this was almost as good as sirloin. I know the top round has a bit more flavor, and I'd never try this with bottom round (pretty much only good for swiss steak) but I was stunned at how good it came out. Tender, juicy, and delicious.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Making top round steak into a great meal

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:28 pm

Not necessarily a great summer recipe, but if you get ones that are a bit thicker cut, toss them in a crockpot with an onion sliced up thinly, a bunch of garlic cloves, and a packet of McCormick's Au Jus. Make sure the meat goes on top of the onions in the cooker. Cook it on low all day, serve with mashed potatoes.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:29 pm

exiledbuckeye wrote:Not necessarily a great summer recipe, but if you get ones that are a bit thicker cut, toss them in a crockpot with an onion sliced up thinly, a bunch of garlic cloves, and a packet of McCormick's Au Jus. Make sure the meat goes on top of the onions in the cooker. Cook it on low all day, serve with mashed potatoes.

Actually it can be a great summer recipe. Take a roast, whether round, or my favorite, chuck, and toss it in a crock pot with onions on the bottom, then the roast, and pour in some spicy V8 about halfway up the meat. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. After cooking, shred it, toss it back in the corck and mix it with some BBQ sauce. It makes the best shredded beef sandwiches you'll ever make at home. Just serve on thick buns, and sides of potato salad or cole slaw work well. Hell, make it with pork instead of beef and top the sandwiches with the cole slaw.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:40 pm

jfiling wrote:
exiledbuckeye wrote:Not necessarily a great summer recipe, but if you get ones that are a bit thicker cut, toss them in a crockpot with an onion sliced up thinly, a bunch of garlic cloves, and a packet of McCormick's Au Jus. Make sure the meat goes on top of the onions in the cooker. Cook it on low all day, serve with mashed potatoes.

Actually it can be a great summer recipe. Take a roast, whether round, or my favorite, chuck, and toss it in a crock pot with onions on the bottom, then the roast, and pour in some spicy V8 about halfway up the meat. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. After cooking, shred it, toss it back in the corck and mix it with some BBQ sauce. It makes the best shredded beef sandwiches you'll ever make at home. Just serve on thick buns, and sides of potato salad or cole slaw work well. Hell, make it with pork instead of beef and top the sandwiches with the cole slaw.

That sounds good. Definitely not summer recipes around these parts. I had something in my crockpot on Monday and came home to a 95 degree kitchen.

Might have to make an exception for this one, though.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry