Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Grilled Chicken help

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Grilled Chicken help

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:31 am

I'm having some family over on Saturday and my fiance is requesting that I make grilled chicken with a badass marinade. The problem is, there is only so many ways to change up the taste of grilled chicken. Do any of you guys have a marinade that you swear by? I want to try something new, but a reliable recipe that one of my cooking buddies have used before. Let me know!
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: Grilled Chicken help

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:01 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:I'm having some family over on Saturday and my fiance is requesting that I make grilled chicken with a badass marinade. The problem is, there is only so many ways to change up the taste of grilled chicken. Do any of you guys have a marinade that you swear by? I want to try something new, but a reliable recipe that one of my cooking buddies have used before. Let me know!

IMhO chicken is the blank white pallet of edible proteins (I use "edible" to toss out tofu) .

Your marinade will be dictated by your flava theme, and your side dishes must coordinate. Then we can help.

IOW, you going bone-in or boneless? BBQ ? Plain & Healthy w/ just some seasoning after marinade? Tex Mex? Meskin? Cajun? Asian? You inna finish w/ a sauce or serve dry?

Meet me up with that and I'll give you a take.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:32 am

here's a simple one that taste great

for 1-2 lbs of chicken:
3 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 c. water
1 tbsp. honey
1 green onion, chopped
1 tsp. lime juice
1 tbsp. white wine or sherry

Mix all marinade ingredients in a large shallow dish. Add chicken and toss lightly to cover. Refrigerate for 2-6 hours.

A pretty middle of the road flavor that goes with anything.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:53 am

JB wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote:I'm having some family over on Saturday and my fiance is requesting that I make grilled chicken with a badass marinade. The problem is, there is only so many ways to change up the taste of grilled chicken. Do any of you guys have a marinade that you swear by? I want to try something new, but a reliable recipe that one of my cooking buddies have used before. Let me know!

IMhO chicken is the blank white pallet of edible proteins (I use "edible" to toss out tofu) .

Your marinade will be dictated by your flava theme, and your side dishes must coordinate. Then we can help.

IOW, you going bone-in or boneless? BBQ ? Plain & Healthy w/ just some seasoning after marinade? Tex Mex? Meskin? Cajun? Asian? You inna finish w/ a sauce or serve dry?

Meet me up with that and I'll give you a take.

JB, its boneless chicken and other then BBQ(because i want something different), there is nothing out of the question. Im not narrowing down the type of marinade to any one style. Anything is fair game. I can be asian, cajun, tex mex, anything that you use that really sticks out and is a great recipe. The only thing that you have to take into account is that my fiance is diabetic and cannont eat honey. Everything else is fair game.
4thQtrGlory

Unread postby fundamentals » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:28 am

If you enjoy Italian dressing, I might suggest marinating the chicken breasts in it. It's not exactly anything highly thought out, but if marinated for several hours, the chicken is quite tasty.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:03 pm

Awe ite.

All else being equal, make you some tekillyah lime fajitas. There are no measurements. You are a man who is grilling nopt a baking woman. Only technique and what you like matter. You go by feel like you Jimmy Page and the grill is your axe

Get you some boneless chicken; thawed.

In a freezer bag(s) big enough so the birds can swim ovenight in the fridge, just pour in some of the following....

Cuervo Gold or whatever you like. Make the bird swim. It'll cook off.
Reconstituted lemon juice, about what you'd like' maybe a 1/4 cup.
Ditto lime juice.
Get you some CHILE powder. And I don't meanthat Chilli powder bullcrap that is a blend of fillers and is mostly salt. Freak that. I mean something like this:
http://www.mccormickgourmet.com/gcproductdetail.cfm?id=6473

Buy & use Chipotle and Ancho powder both, about a teaspoon of each (that's the small one, right?) per bag. Maybe a little more to taste, but these are strong & hot, like the A Train to thehole and my girl Valerie on the cover of People.
Some garlic powder shake. What you feel.
Some onion powder shake
Some Cuman shake
Some kosher salt

A litle h2o to cut your marinaded. Swooosh it all around B-FORE you add bird so it is mixed . Add bird. Seal. Put on plate/serving bowl so you there's no disaster if it leaks. And let it marinade at least overnight in the fridge.

Get you a few anaheim and cubinelle (or hotter if you like em) chilli peppers and whatever onion you like. Julienne enough to serve all. Wrap them up tight in a foil pouch sprayed w/ some Pam inside.

Throw your chicken on the low grill, pepper / onion pouch on high so they steam & don't burn. Don't commit the sin of overcooking chicken so it is dried crap. BTW - Throw away the unused marinade BTW unless you want disease.

When finished, cut the chicken in fajita strips and place the strips in a bowl with a lil lime juice on the bottom to keep it moist but not overpower the flava.

Serve with flour totilla shells warmed in the wave, some Pace Three Pepper Salsa or whatever you like, some sour cream, some shredded cheese you like (I like monterray) , and the cooked peppers and onions and - this is huge so don't skimp - fresh cilantro leaves. Makes all the dif.

For a side I recommend rice-a-roni (TM) spanish rice prepared exactly like the box says, and maybe some black beans.

Let everyone make their own.

It will be amazing.

If that's too hard, just slap some bone in chicken on the grill. Cook the shit. Add sweet baby rays to all but your wife's and say "fuck it". Throw some Terriaki on hers.
Last edited by jb on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:14 pm

JB wrote:Awe ite.

All else being equal, make you some tekillyah lime fajitas. There are no measurements. You are a man who is grilling nopt a baking woman. Only technique and what you like matter. You go by feel like you Jimmy Page and the grill is your axe

In a freezer bag(s) big enough so the birds can swim ovenight in the fridge, just pour in some of the following....

Ditto lime juice.
Get you some CHILE powder. And I don't meanthat Chilli powder bullcrap that is a blend of fillers and is mostly salt. Freak that. I mean something like this:

Buy & use Chipotle and Ancho powder both, about a teaspoon of each (that's the small one, right?) per bag. Maybe a little more to taste, but these are strong & hot, like the A Train to thehole and my girl Valerie on the cover of People.
Some onion powder shake
Some Cuman shake
Some kosher salt

A litle h2o to cut your marinaded. Swooosh it all around B-FORE you add bird so it is mixed . Add bird. Seal. Put on plate/serving bowl so you there's no disaster if it leaks. And let it marinade at least overnight in the fridge.

Get you a few anaheim & cubinelle (or hotter if you like em) chilli peppers and whatever onion you like. Julienne enough to serve all. Wrap them up tight in a foil pouch sprayed w/ some Pam inside.

Throw your chicken on the low grill, pepper / onion pouch on high so they steam & don't burn. Don't commit the sin of overcooking chicken so it is dried crap. BTW - Throw away the unused marinade BTW unless you want disease.

When finished, cut the chicken in fajita strips and place the strips in a bowl with a lil lime juice on the bottom to keep it moist but not overpower the flava.

Serve with flour totilla shells warmed in the wave, some Pace Three Pepper Salsa or whatever you like, some sour cream, some shredded cheese you like (I like monterray) , and the cooked peppers and onions and - this is huge so don't skimp - fresh cilantro leaves. Makes all the dif.

For a side I recommend rice-a-roni (TM) spanish rice prepared exactly like the box says, and maybe some black beans.

It will be amazing.

If that's too hard, just slap some bone in chicken on the grill. Cook the shit. Add sweet baby rays to all but your wife's and say "fuck it". Throw some Terriaki on hers.

PS - Flip yer marinade bags on occasion. And I am a big believer when it comes to indirect grilling of non-red meats, only direct cooking for the finish. Dried out poultry SUCKS.
jb

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:33 pm

Ditto lime juice.

Some onion powder shake
Some Cuman shake
Some kosher salt

Get you a few anaheim and cubinelle (or hotter if you like em) chilli peppers and whatever onion you like. Julienne enough to serve all. Wrap them up tight in a foil pouch sprayed w/ some Pam inside.

It will be amazing.

Real nice eats going on there JB...gonna go with it here soon...

But you know I'm not going to use that Cuervo Mexican piss on my meat...not because it sucks or it's cheap, but because it has a ton of sugars in it and it makes the birdy a diabetic...just gotta use 100& blue agave cactus juice on meat
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby jb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:36 pm

waborat wrote:

Ditto lime juice.

Some onion powder shake
Some Cuman shake
Some kosher salt

It will be amazing.

But you know I'm not going to use that Cuervo Mexican piss on my meat...not because it sucks or it's cheap, but because it has a ton of sugars in it and it makes the birdy a diabetic...just gotta use 100& blue agave cactus juice on meat

Do that shit!

Can the Jose C effect 4th's better half with alcohol sugar? Pretty sure it all burns off, no?
jb

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:44 pm

JB wrote:
waborat wrote:

Ditto lime juice.

Some onion powder shake
Some Cuman shake
Some kosher salt

It will be amazing.

Do that shit!

Can the Jose C effect 4th's better half with alcohol sugar? Pretty sure it all burns off, no?

She'll be naked before she'll be dead ;-) ;) :wink:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby jfiling » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:44 pm

I think Larvell hit on the basics. My foolproof chicken marinade is based on keeping it simple. You need 4 things:

1) Salt, to pull water out of the meat which helps the marinade soak into it.
2) Sugar, which helps the same way and provides flavor
3) Acid, which makes the mouth increase production of saliva, making the meat feel more tender
4) Oil, to help brown the outside

I usually use the following, pretty much eyeballing the amounts into a one-gallon freezer bag with the chicken breasts:

1) Soy sauce (lots of salt there, plus some nice flavor)
2) Honey
3) Lemon or lime juice
4) EVOO (had to say it that way to be metrosexual)

Get the air out of the bag (a straw works great), toss the bag into a plastic container, and marinade overnight.

There's all sorts of substitutions that can be made. You can dissolve plain old salt and sugar in water instead of the honey and soy sauce, but I just think that's boring. The acid can be replaced by something like tarragon vinegar or white wine vinegar. Additives, like Frank's Red Hot, are a nice touch as well.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks for your input guys.
4thQtrGlory

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:28 am

Ok, so this is the recipe that I finally decided to throw together....

Worcestershire sauce
Soy Sauce
Lemon juice
Minced Garlic
Vegetable oil
Regina Red Wine-Garlic flavored
Dry Mustard
Pepper
Salt
Fresh Chopped sweet onion
Fine chopped Parsley

I have it in the fridge marinading from Wednesday night thru Saturday afternoon to soak up all the flavor possible.
4thQtrGlory

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:17 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:Ok, so this is the recipe that I finally decided to throw together....

Worcestershire sauce
Soy Sauce
Lemon juice
Minced Garlic
Vegetable oil
Regina Red Wine-Garlic flavored
Dry Mustard
Pepper
Salt
Fresh Chopped sweet onion
Fine chopped Parsley

I have it in the fridge marinading from Wednesday night thru Saturday afternoon to soak up all the flavor possible.

That should rock!
jb

Unread postby FUDU » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:56 pm

This is a great marinade, haven't had it in years but damn it was good.

http://chakasmmmproducts.com/
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry