Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

BT's Recipe of the Week..... BBQ Shrimp

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

BT's Recipe of the Week..... BBQ Shrimp

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:03 pm

2nd installment fellas. This is a favorite in our tailgate krewe, usually do it once for football season and once for baseball season at LSU. Usually we do two batches of double this recipe for football, 80 lbs of shrimp total. We can't estimate it by our particular number of people, because we always have walk-ups once we get the smell going. We usually use a propane burner and a cast iron pot/wok because of the amount. Also, cook the shrimp whole (heads and shell intact) and then peel post-cooking. It's messy as hell, but way worth it. This is one of my favorites. Enjoy...

Ingredients:
20 lbs - Shrimp
5 lbs - Onions, chopped
2 lbs - Bell Peppers, chopped
2 lbs - Celery, chopped
1/2 lbs - Garlic, diced
1.5 lbs Butter
3 Lemons
1/2 Large Bottle of Hot Sauce
1/2 Bottle of Pick-a-Pepper sauce
1/2 Small bottle Worcestershire
Tony’s Chacheres, Salt

Throw in butter, sauces, Tony's and Salt and cook (medium heat) until butter is soft
Add in other ingredients sans shrimp. For the lemons, cut em in halves, squeeze the juice in and then throw the halves in for good measure (watch for the seeds). Cook down for 15 min.

Add shrimp and mix well. Continue to cook until the shells become soft and easy to peel. Make sure to save the "sauce" that it cooked in, as it is unbelievable with french bread. Usually when we cook this at a tailgate you end up with a few people just hanging around the pot afterward with a loaf of french bread dipping away.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: BT's Recipe of the Week..... BBQ Shrimp

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:15 pm

If you dont mind me asking, how much money does it typically cost to make that meal?
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:52 am

Thx BT, now I have to getout my calculator and figure out how to make 10% of that recipe ;-) ;) :wink:
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:21 am

Only 20 lbs of shrimp?

Piker.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:35 pm

If you dont mind me asking, how much money does it typically cost to make that meal?

Q -- I'm not exactly sure off top, but we only do it a couple times per year because it's pretty pricey. Also, my math was horribly off on the first post. We do this recipe twice per tailgate, so 40 lbs total as opposed to 80 lbs. 80 is just too much shrimp, sorry for the confusion. But usually you can get live crawfish for 2.50 (est) per pound, and being that you get more meat with shrimp you'll usually see that double (or more).

Also, you want to estimate 1.5 pounds per person give or take (depending on size). That's a decent rule of thumb.

Swerb, if we ever get the chance for LSU and tOSU to schedule a home and home we'll bring the TCF tailgate down south. And yeah, I do realize that I probably opened myself up for the whole "SEC teams don't schedule North of the Mason Dixon Line" argument. So....
:hide:
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:51 pm

Bayou, that would mean LSU bumping McNeese State off their schedule. Don't see that happening. ;-) ;) :wink:
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 pm

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry