Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

Holes in Your Game?

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

Holes in Your Game?

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:57 pm

Any part of cooking or meal prep that you just have never seemed to master? I can chop, dice, julienne, saute, bake, roast, boil, reduce, braise, grill, smoke.....but I cannot deep fry something to save my mother-effing life. Tried fried chicken this evening. I mean, how hard can it be? Everything was great - brined, buttermilked, seasoned, breaded, great color and flavor. Except for that under cooked meat on the inside/chicken sushi thing which was, shall we say, a bit unappealing. WTF?

Misery loves company, so sharing your most horrific abject failures would cheer me up. Thanks in advance.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Re: Holes in Your Game?

Unread postby waborat » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:03 am

As far as that bird goes? Get that earl hot, hot, hot.....I get it around 425+ and let it swim for 7-8 minutes

My problem has always been poached eggs...don't ask me why, but the friggin things either get undercooked, overcooked or break open every time....I am embarrassed that I have to call my wife into the kitchen everytime when it comes time to make them :thud:

Also, I can't make bakery worth a damn either...God, I swear you have to take an estrogen pill before you can get that chit right?
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby JoJo White » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:13 am

I'm really struggling with cooking, but I've pretty much mastered that eating & drinking thing.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:18 am

ive never deep fried anything, mostly because its gross. Im lousy at the egg thing too. Unless their scrambled, im in trouble.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby FUDU » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:24 am

You gimme a box a some directions and I am unstoppable.

Thanks St. Ed's.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:11 am

My wife makes killer pan fired chicken. I tried once while she was out of town. I had the same undercooked problems.

One time I was drunk and put a DiGiorno pizza in the over and fell asleep, good thing we had smoke detectors.

:hic:
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Stu » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:31 pm

deep fried oreos FTMFW Yo!

pancake batter, coat, drop, flip, dry off, enjoy.
Stu

Favorite Player: Eric Wedge
Least Favorite Player: Swerb

Unread postby General » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:02 pm

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:My wife makes killer pan fired chicken. I tried once while she was out of town. I had the same undercooked problems.

One time I was drunk and put a DiGiorno pizza in the over and fell asleep, good thing we had smoke detectors.

Drunk cooking was and will always be a shortcoming. Panfried some Italian sausage years ago, passed out at kitchen table, created a cloud deck in the house to rival Katrina. Lot's of yelling from my mother.

:spanky:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:06 pm

General wrote:
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:My wife makes killer pan fired chicken. I tried once while she was out of town. I had the same undercooked problems.

Drunk cooking was and will always be a shortcoming. Panfried some Italian sausage years ago, passed out at kitchen table, created a cloud deck in the house to rival Katrina. Lot's of yelling from my mother.

Frozen Pizza is my devil. Always have to have it when drunk and always burn the shit out of it. You'd think I'd wake up with that oven timer, but at least the secondary one (smoke alarm) wakes me up.

However some of my best ideas have come when drunk while cooking. Grilled hotdogs on frozen pizza was pretty tasty, but Totino's pizza rolls smothered in ranch dressing is out of this world.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:42 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:ive never deep fried anything, mostly because its gross. Im lousy at the egg thing too. Unless their scrambled, im in trouble.

Deep frying is tough to do at home. You can buy a fryer, or you can use a cast iron vessel. The key to making fried food not be gross is to have the oil stay at a hot enough temperature so that the pressure of the steam leaving the food prevents the oil from penetrating it. Anyone who wants to fry food properly, whether it's french fries or meat like chicken, has to have two items. The most important is a 12 inch cast iron skillet, and the second is a cast iron dutch oven in the 5 quart range. A fry thermometer and good oil is essential as well, because old oil or oil with too low of a smoke point will make nasty fried foods. Good fried foods are neither greasy nor undercooked.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:47 pm

Ziner wrote:
General wrote:

Frozen Pizza is my devil. Always have to have it when drunk and always burn the shit out of it. You'd think I'd wake up with that oven timer, but at least the secondary one (smoke alarm) wakes me up.

However some of my best ideas have come when drunk while cooking. Grilled hotdogs on frozen pizza was pretty tasty, but Totino's pizza rolls smothered in ranch dressing is out of this world.

Totino's pizza rolls and ranch ARE the best snack EVER! Also, a great "drunk snack" is Speedway gas station Chili Dogs with Nacho cheese on top. Mmmmmm
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry