Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

BT's Recipe of the Week.... Crawfish Etouffee

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

BT's Recipe of the Week.... Crawfish Etouffee

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:03 am

So, I decided that I'm going to try to cap off each week (or every other week if I forget ;-) ;) :wink: ) with a new recipe. A little something from the vault. Most of these come from our cook book, with recipes passed down from both myself and my wife's families -- who have both been settled in Southeast LA between Baton Rouge and New Orleans for numerous generations.

But I'll need some help from the readers. Feedback, thoughts, questions, etc are all welcomed and appreciated. I think the hardest thing for me to keep in mind is what's readily available down here isn't always available everywhere else and vice-versa. If I'm going with something that I'm not sure will be available to everyone, I'll try my best to offer purchasing ideas and/or substitutions as necessary. With that, let's roll on week one's recipe....

Ingredients:
6 tablespoons butter
2 cups onion, chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup celery, chopped
2 tablespoons parsley, minced
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
2 1/2 cups crawfish tails (** see below)
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/2 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1/8 teaspoon liquid crab boil (Zatarain's is preferred)
Cornstarch to thicken

Melt butter in a heavy pot. Saute onions, garlic, green pepper and celery until onions are clear. Add 1/8 cup water and simmer covered until all seasons are tender (15 minutes, give or take). Add tails and other powder/liquid seasonings . Cook (covered) for 15 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally. Add green onions and parsley. Cook another 5-10 minutes until all seasonings are nice and tender. Thicken a little with cornstarch if needed and allow it to cook long enough for the gravy to thicken. Over cooked rice, this should serve 4-6 people.

** Shrimp can be used as a substitute
** Buying crawfish online is tricky. Stay away from Chinese-imported crawfish, as they are harvested mainly using loosely regulated labor laws and they cut into the local farmers who have made a living giving you full sized farm raised Louisiana crawfish. You'll also see through a generic internet search that some people will try to charge you up to 90 bucks for 5 pounds of tail meat or so. Terrible. For reliable, quality crawfish raised and farmed in the Gulf Coast, check these guys out. 20 bucks, shipping included. Can't beat it.

http://www.lacrawfish.com/Crawfish-Tails-C32.aspx
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Re: BT's Recipe of the Week.... Crawfish Etouffee

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:14 am

Awesome idea BT!!!

Always love making new things and I've got all of those ingredients in my kitchen right now except the crawfish tails which happen to be on sale at my local Reider's this week for $9.99/lb

Gonna do this one up soon (although I always substitue red bells for the green ones, just one of the few foods I can't stand)...thx again
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:12 am

Good stuff wabo. Gotta have the liquid crab boil hanging around for misc reasons. Sometimes the wife will throw a dash into red beans and rice. Cheap and easy way to get a little kick out of anything.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby waborat » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:58 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:Good stuff wabo. Gotta have the liquid crab boil hanging around for misc reasons. Sometimes the wife will throw a dash into red beans and rice. Cheap and easy way to get a little kick out of anything.

Absolutely, crabboil IS a must

Love the website too....maybe I don't have to make my own tasso ham anymore? ;-) ;) :wink:
waborat

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:03 am

I've got a recipe coming up that uses tasso in grits topped with shrimp in a cream sauce, gonna have to include that link in it again.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:48 pm

Please keep this thread going. I can get plenty of fresh seafood, and I'm always looking for new ways to cook it.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby JoJo White » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:15 am

Hey Bayou-

Heading to NOLA in a few weeks and we're planning on going to Le Crepe Nanou (sp?) and Luke. Ever been to either of those restaurants? Heard great things about each.
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby waborat » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:36 am

Hey BT, made this dish last night and it went over big time!!!!

First time I've ever tasted a etoufee let alone making one...my wife was very impressed and said "keep the recipes" coming (it made her night to see your bbq shrimp afterwards)...I made an andouille/red bean dish for a side and some jalapeno cornbread to go with it....wow!!! The best thing is we still have leftovers for tonight

Highly Recommended to everyone!!!
waborat

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:16 pm

Le Crepe Nanou (sp?) and Luke

Sorry JoJo, haven't heard of either. I'll talk to the guy I work with tomorrow to see what he thinks. He's down in NOLA alot more than I am and he probably has heard of them.

Wabo -- that sounds like a damned good supper (I like the jalapeno cornbread take - hadn't had that since I was living in Memphis). The etoufee is really simple to make, glad to hear you nailed it the first go round. The bbq shrimp has a few more variables to it, as I've never made it in smaller quantities and have always made it in a thick black iron pot. But if you hit it right, it is unbelievable. One of if not THE favorite in my bag of tricks.

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry