Text Size

Eat, Drink, & Be Merry

New Recipes?

Discuss good eats, beverages, recipes, restaraunts, bars and other food and drink related topics in here.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, mswerb

New Recipes?

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:28 pm

Ok, so I just moved in to my new house and i seem to be cooking more then ever. Im constantly trying new foods, experimenting with ingredients, and tackling something different every week. This week im thinking about tackling a recipe i just came up with for "cheeseburger soup". Anyone thinking about throwing together a new recipe for the first time? Do share.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: New Recipes?

Unread postby waborat » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:35 am

Made these last month because I had a bunch of stuff left over and they came out great...

Shredded Chicken Burgers: (6 burgers)

1 Rotisserie Chicken, shredded (Sam's Club is the cheapest I've found)
2 cups shredded red cabbage
1 tomato, peeled, seeded, diced
2 avocados, mashed
2 hard-boiled eggs, diced
2 poblano peppers, minced
1 lime, juiced
0.5 lemon, juiced
1 teaspoon molasses
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cidar vinegar
salt / pepper
rolls

Stir the chicken and cabbage together and set aside....mix everything (except rolls 'natch) else together in a separate bowl and then combine the chicken/cabbage combo with the other bowl...make into 6 patties and serve on the rolls

NOTE: the next day I added some EVOO to a pan and panfried the patties first before serving with some romaine lettuce...good either hot or cold
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:45 pm

Get a crock pot. You can cook anything in them, and your dinner is done by the time you get home from work.

I made clam chowder last week. It came out pretty good, but I still need to tinker with the spices to get it perfect.

Saute:
3 cloves minced garlic
2 stalks celery- finely sliced
1 onion- finely chopped
2 Tbs butter

4 slices of bacon
2 cans of clams with juice
3 potatoes- peeled and diced
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
2 1/2 cups of half & half or heavy whipping cream
1 Tsp of Thyme
1 Tsp of Parsley
1 Tsp of pepper
1 Tsp of salt

Add all ingredients to crock pot, cook on low for 9 hours or high for 5 hours. It came out pretty good, but I was home to stir it to keep it from burning. I'm not sure how it would do by itself all day with out stirring. The spices need some work, but it was tasty.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:31 am

Not sure this constitutes a recipe, but I tried this last night in making garlic bread. I bought a loaf of Italian bread, sliced it in half. I then took a stick of butter and melted it in a saucepan, added some Good Seasons mixture and brushed it onto the bread, topped with shredded mozzarella cheese. It was pretty good, highly recommend to others to try.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:57 am

fundamentals wrote:Not sure this constitutes a recipe, but I tried this last night in making garlic bread. I bought a loaf of Italian bread, sliced it in half. I then took a stick of butter and melted it in a saucepan, added some Good Seasons mixture and brushed it onto the bread, topped with shredded mozzarella cheese. It was pretty good, highly recommend to others to try.

Heck yea its a recipe. Anything that you have to make is a recipe. I make something similar to that, only I use a garlic mixture from the California garlic farms, mix it in a bowl with olive oil, and brush onto the bread. The olive oil holds the flavor extremely well throughout the entire loaf, not just the surface. I still use spray butter, but put that mixture on top. I'll then sprinkle Emeril's Garlic Parmasean seasoning overtop, and layer the bread with Provolone cheese.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Get a crock pot. You can cook anything in them, and your dinner is done by the time you get home from work.

The crock pot is the greatest cooking tool ever. My wife and I both working during the day, and the slow cooker is the only way I can have a good, hot dinner. Chicken breasts cook surprisingly well in there, but my favorite will always be beef or pork roast, cooked all day on low and then shredded in bbq sauce.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:21 pm

jfiling wrote:The crock pot is the greatest cooking tool ever. My wife and I both working during the day, and the slow cooker is the only way I can have a good, hot dinner. Chicken breasts cook surprisingly well in there, but my favorite will always be beef or pork roast, cooked all day on low and then shredded in bbq sauce.

Ask, and you shall receive:

Pulled Pork Sandwiches

Rub:
2 Tbs brow sugar
2-3 Tbs paprika
2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp pepper
1 Tbs cayenne pepper

Marinade:
1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup worcestershire sauce
1 Tbs red pepper flakes
1 Tsp dry mustard
1 Tsp garlic salt
1 Tsp sugar

2 onions, quartered
4-6 lb pork butt (I get mine with the bone in- insert joke here)

Trim excess fat from pork, coat throughly with the rub. Place quartered onions in the bottom of the crock pot. Add the pork, then drizzle the marinade. Cook high for 5-6 hours, low for 9-10. Occasionally basting the pork is good, but not necessary. Break up the meat and remove the bone. Serve on rolls with the onions and the left over marinade.

I used a 4 lb pork butt this week and it made 8-10 sandwiches. It's good cold too.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby waborat » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:36 am

I agree with the crock pot for pork roast (actually one of my favorite ways to cook one), pot roast, beef stew, bbq meatballs & baked beans, but not a whole lot else...My problem has always been the liquid content for soups, etc because they get so watered down and that you can't add things like milk, cream or sour cream until the end of cooking or it gets nasty

Here's an easy Mexican Bake that we make a lot...you can make it ahead of time and then throw it inthe oven when you get home

1.5 cups cooked rice (I use the 10 minute brown)
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1" chunks
28 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes
15 oz can black beans, drain & rinse
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup chopped red bell
1 cup chopped onion
1 tbs chili powder/cumin
Hot Sauce to taste
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 cup Monterey or Cheddar cheese
1 sliced jalapeno

Use a casserole pan and spread the rice on the bottom, top with chicken...
Mix everything else (except the cheese and jalapeno) in a bowl and top over the chicken & rice...top with the cheese and jalapeno slices
Bake in a 400 degree oven for 45 minutes

Optional: throw a fried egg or two on top when it comes out of the oven
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:48 am

Not sure how often or available fresh oysters are for you guys, but we made these this weekend at a Mardi Gras parade and they were demolished in record time....

Char Broiled Oysters

1 Stick Butter
1 pinch of Kosher Salt
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 pinch of Cayenne
Lemon Juice

Melt butter in sauce pan and whisk in the above mentioned ingredients.

Shuck a dozen oysters, leaving them on the half shell. Heat grill as hot as you can get it. Place the oysters on the hottest spot and let them cook in their own juices just until they start to bubble and the edges curl (a couple minutes, tops).

Drown them in sauce, enough to fill up the shell. When the sauce starts to boil sprinkle each oyster completely with romano cheese or comparable substitute of your liking. Let the oysters go until the cheese starts to brown lightly. Garnish with minced Parsley. Grab a cold beer some garlic bread and enjoy
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:58 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:Not sure how often or available fresh oysters are for you guys, but we made these this weekend at a Mardi Gras parade and they were demolished in record time....

Char Broiled Oysters

1 Stick Butter
1 pinch of Kosher Salt
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
1 pinch of Cayenne
Lemon Juice

Melt butter in sauce pan and whisk in the above mentioned ingredients.

Shuck a dozen oysters, leaving them on the half shell. Heat grill as hot as you can get it. Place the oysters on the hottest spot and let them cook in their own juices just until they start to bubble and the edges curl (a couple minutes, tops).

Drown them in sauce, enough to fill up the shell. When the sauce starts to boil sprinkle each oyster completely with romano cheese or comparable substitute of your liking. Let the oysters go until the cheese starts to brown lightly. Garnish with minced Parsley. Grab a cold beer some garlic bread and enjoy

ahh, foods of Mardi Gras.
Can you bake a King Cake, Bayou?
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Bayou Tribe » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:24 am

I've tried once and it was not what I would call a success. Came out more like a huge cinammon roll. There are way too many local bakeries that do it way too well for me to try that again. Where you buy your king cake from is almost like establishing yourself in a particular street gang. People down here, for some reason or another, have a sick loyalty to their bakery of choice when it comes to king cakes.
"Dammit you piss me off. I f#ckin hate you and I hope you f#cking get killed by a rabid polar bear you douche bag."

-- TIMMAH to CDT
Bayou Tribe
"Rickey wants to play baseball"

Favorite Player: Drew Brees
Least Favorite Player: Steve Smith

Unread postby Larvell Blanks » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:50 am

Bayou Tribe wrote:

I've tried once and it was not what I would call a success. Came out more like a huge cinammon roll. There are way too many local bakeries that do it way too well for me to try that again. Where you buy your king cake from is almost like establishing yourself in a particular street gang. People down here, for some reason or another, have a sick loyalty to their bakery of choice when it comes to king cakes.

My brother in law last year bought and sent us one that was more like a doughnut. This year he stood in line (I don't know at which bakery) and bought the same one he did 2 years ago and is sending it our way. I can't wait. They sell them up here but it's the equivalent of going to Taco Bell and getting authentic Mexican food.

and to stay on topic, here's my recipe for baked mac and cheese I posted in the Super Bowl recipe thread.
Ingredients
1/2 pound elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon powdered mustard
3 cups milk
1/2 cup yellow onion, finely diced
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 large egg
12 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
Topping:
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup panko bread crumbs
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente.

While the pasta is cooking, in a separate pot, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes. Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk, onion, bay leaf, and paprika. Simmer for ten minutes and remove the bay leaf.

Temper in the egg. Stir in 3/4 of the cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole dish. Top with remaining cheese.

Melt the butter in a saute pan and toss the bread crumbs to coat. Top the macaroni with the bread crumbs. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and rest for five minutes before serving.

I'll switch up the cheeses everytime. Once used a mozzarella w/ sundried tomatoes, the next year I used a Chipotle Cheddar along with the sharp cheddar for a little extra flavor. I'll add bacon or chicken chunks as well.
Galley Boys are slop on top of a so-so burger and a bun you coulde get from a Covneninet food mart generic pack. They the Antoine Joubert of burgers; soft, sloppy, oozing grease and cheap sauce and extremely overrated by a biased fan base. Proof that if you throw enough cheap sauce shit on a burger you still can't overcome the lame burger. -JB
Larvell Blanks

Favorite Player: Foots Walker
Least Favorite Player: un named sources

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:52 am

That oyster recipe sounds great, I'll have to give it a try.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby idoctribefan » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:54 pm

Reading this thread just made my day 100x better, as I've realized that this is the weekend that my mom stays in the kitchen and bakes king cakes all weekend. :clap: She and my dad used to live in N'Awlins. Each year she overnights one to us. I need her to teach my wife how to make them.
"And three of the better guys in franchise history, Daugherty, Z and now Kyrie could get hurt in a rubber room full of cotton balls." - Leadpipe
idoctribefan

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: #6

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:35 pm

I can't remember if I posted this crock pot recipe before, but it makes killer chicken.

Cook 3-4 slices of bacon, cut in half, in a cast iron skillet. Dump the bacon and drippings into the crock.
Thaw 1 lb chicken breasts, add to crock.
Mix 1 cup ranch dressing with 1/4 cup soy sauce, dump over chicken.
Let all of that sit in the crock overnight in the refrigerator.
Wake up, put the crock in the pot and cook on low for 5-8 hours. Serve with rice, noodles, or if you used thin-sliced chicken breasts, on sandwiches.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:04 pm

jfiling wrote:I can't remember if I posted this crock pot recipe before, but it makes killer chicken.

Cook 3-4 slices of bacon, cut in half, in a cast iron skillet. Dump the bacon and drippings into the crock.
Thaw 1 lb chicken breasts, add to crock.
Mix 1 cup ranch dressing with 1/4 cup soy sauce, dump over chicken.
Let all of that sit in the crock overnight in the refrigerator.
Wake up, put the crock in the pot and cook on low for 5-8 hours. Serve with rice, noodles, or if you used thin-sliced chicken breasts, on sandwiches.

I do have to mention that this is my wife's favorite meal that I cook. It's easy, tasty, and reasonably healthy. The crock pot rules.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Return to Eat, Drink, & Be Merry