Text Size

High School Sports

Congrats to Wadsworth

Talk Ohio high school sports in here, with an emphasis on the Northeast Ohio schools.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, yargs7

Congrats to Wadsworth

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:51 pm

for 2010 Wrestling State Championship. What they did is an incredible and historic achievement, they didn't catch Ed's in an off year to win this either, they earned it 100% of the way. It would greatly benefit HS wrestling in Ohio if Wadsworth could continue to build from this and make things interesting year in year out instead of this being the end of a long streak in order to start another one for Ed's?
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Re: Congrats to Wadsworth

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:14 pm

Congrats to Aurora's Ty Mitch as well.
Played ball for years with his dad Jim (who was a tremendous athlete at Euclid in the early 80's) and Ty won another wrestling title yesterday in Columbus.

That's three straight. 103lbs as soph, 112 as junior and 119 this year.

Kid comes from good stock in Jim and Lisa and he's on his way to VA Tech on a full scholly.

Congrats again to the Mitch family.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:55 pm

I was very happy to see Wadsworth win. I was pulling for them. It's nice to see public schools able to compete.

People should pay more attention to wrestling as Ohio, and especially northeast Ohio, has some of the best (if not the best) HS wrestling in the country.

Hell of a story about Paige Nemec too.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby Spin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:37 pm

I am so proud of my son, and all of his teammates. I can't put it into words. First public school to win in D1 since 1977.

Wadsworth has been there for a long time, and looking at who's coming up, they will stay for a long time. The program is built to win from youth league on up, and they dominate on all levels.

"Coach G" is not only a great wrestling coach, he's also a great person who really cares about the boys. Not just the starters on varsity either. You do not see that in big time programs anymore. He's a champion in every sense.

Kudos to St. Ed's too, a more than worthy opponent year in, year out. Nothing but class.

This is what sports are suppose to be about.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:40 pm

So it is pretty much expected that Wadsworth will be a consistent top program and not just a school that had a few good wrestlers pass through it?

FTR I'm an Ed's guy that is why I am asking and take interest in HS wrestling. While it is nice to have bragging rights I am a believer in competition makes things better. Defeat should drive Urbas and his program to strive for another run.

FUDU

Unread postby Spin » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:01 pm

No no Wadsworth has been near the top for several years. I know some St Ed's guys who think they just sprang up last year, but they've been making noise at state for 4-5 years.

We sent the "Varsity B" team to the CSU varsity tournament and won by 150 points. The JV team obliterated big tournaments like Strongsville and Nordonia. This wasn't a one hit wonder.

Whether you're a fan of the school, it's good for the sport. It gets the public school people thinking about it seriously again, puts it on the front page all weekend.

And we know full well St Ed's isn't going anywhere either.
Spin

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:23 pm

Spin wrote:No no Wadsworth has been near the top for several years. I know some St Ed's guys who think they just sprang up last year, but they've been making noise at state for 4-5 years.

We sent the "Varsity B" team to the CSU varsity tournament and won by 150 points. The JV team obliterated big tournaments like Strongsville and Nordonia. This wasn't a one hit wonder.

Whether you're a fan of the school, it's good for the sport. It gets the public school people thinking about it seriously again, puts it on the front page all weekend.

And we know full well St Ed's isn't going anywhere either.
I am aware that Wadsworth has done well in the states many times in the recent decade, however my point about them being able to continue this was in regards to closing the gap of domination Ed's has held for nearly 30 years (with a 5 year hiccup). I am not saying this to brag or talk shit, but there is a difference between finishing 2nd or 4th in the states and being outscored by nearly 50 pts or even doubled up, as opposed to finishing second by a few points like Ed's did this year. Ed's has run away with the title in utter domination so many times that it is really hard to qualify who are the next best programs, no?

Can Wadsworth sustain THIS level of success and really "be right there" year in and year out?

FUDU

Unread postby Spin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:43 am

Last year Wadsworth beat St. Ed's at a big tournament (the Grizzly Invitational?) and broke St. Ed's streak of not getting beat by a public. Then fizzled in the states.

This year, same thing, but they got it done at state.

Next year? Who knows. We'll find out together. :cheers:

I can't say our new varsity guys will be as good as (or better) than the graduating seniors they are replacing, any more than St. Ed's can. I know what the Varsity B team did when they were let loose, and what the JV team accomplished. I'm not about to bet against them.
Spin

Return to High School Sports