Text Size

The Fantasy Forum

Playing Favorites...

Talk fantasy football, baseball, basketball in here ... as well as any other fantasy sports contests or strategies.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, ramllov, Eckersley

Playing Favorites...

Unread postby buddycowley » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:49 pm

I caught an article on my Yahoo Fantasy page, and thought it would make for good discussion now, since we're pretty much done with our draft.

Brandon Funston wrote an article about the certain guys that we all fall in love with in drafts, and seem to find ourselves drafting them somewhere in our draft just because we have to have him.

Without all the extra commentary, here are the picks that the writer chose as his "favorites."

CATCHER - Joe Mauer (MIN)

FIRST - Aubrey Huff (TB)

SECOND - Rickie Weeks (MIL)

THIRD - Jorge Cantu (TB)

SHORT - Nomar Garciaparra (St. John Bosco)

OUTFIELD - Curtis Granderson (DET)

STARTER - Ervin Santana (LAA)

CLOSER - Chris Reitsma (ATL)

Interesting picks. Here are a couple of the guys that seem to find their way on to my roster whenever possible:

CARL CRAWFORD (TB) - Love this guy. Took him fourth in a draft this year, but I've managed to get him later in other drafts these past few years as well. Doesn't hurt that the Tampa offense has the ability to be damn good. Former OC Riot member.

RYAN ZIMMERMAN (WAS) - Always seems to be out there late, and most of the discussion around him centered on his ability to hit, but not for power. Well, he put two out on CC just recently, and has, I believe, 7 on the spring. One of my favorite sleepers, and I own him on the three teams I have.

CHAD TRACY (ARI) - Going to get 1B/3B soon, and is going to be a masher this year. He's a kid that could break out big, and I'm pissed I don't have him here. A former OC Riot member.

KENJI JOHJIMA (SEA) - Hey, he hit 32 HRs a season for a few seasons, and shouldn't have a tough time at least hitting .280 and putting out 20 HRs. Not too shabby. RBI totals might not be high, but he'll play all the time.

:mrgreen:

Buddy
Can speak French...in Russian
buddycowley
'Crowley' For Short

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:16 pm

I ended up with Jason Kendall on all 3 teams this year. The top catchers are all too risky, and I was able to get Kendall, who has been a solid fantasy player (no power) for years for nothing late in all 3 drafts. I like him to bounce back from a rough 1st year in the AL last season.

I think Mark Loretta and Derek Jeter will both have great years hitting in the 2 hole in the Boston and NYY lineups.

I like Vernon Wells and Carlos Beltran to both bounce back and have big, big years.

I think Angels Casey Kotchmann and Juan Rivera are two nice sleepers this year, and that the Angels win that division going away. I also like the addition of Jeff Weaver, and Escobar should have a real nice year for them in their rotation as well.

I like Barry Zito and Jeremy Bonderman to both have very strong years and push Santana for the AL Cy Young.

I like Kris Benson in Baltimore under Leo Mazzone to have a better year than everyones expecting. I like Brandon McCarthy to find a way into the White Sox rotation, and to also have a strong year.

BJ Ryan has a huge statistical year for the Jays. Neal Cotts takes over for Jenks as Chisox closer by May 1, and is also one of the leagues best firemen.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby yargs7 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:09 pm

Swerb,

I agree with you on Wells. I think he is going to have a monster year. He was pretty high on my list, but I let him slip too far and missed out on him. Toronto has a real nice linepup this year with the additions of Overbay and Gluas.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby Jumbo » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:13 pm

RYAN ZIMMERMAN (WAS)
KENJI JOHJIMA (SEA)

I really wanted both of these guys in our recent draft. I had no idea where Johjima would go, so I probably underrated his draft value.

If you hadn't taken Zimmerman, I would've three picks later. Instead, I ended up with Edwin Encarnacion, a guy I didn't know much about until the Reds played the Indians in a ST game. I looked him up, and liked what I saw...not as high of a ceiling as Zimmerman, but a chance to be a productive player and only 23. He's reached base in 20 out of 22 ST games.
Jumbo
Chowderhead

Favorite Player: is not Buster Posey
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby yargs7 » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:16 pm

Sticking with the post...A few guys I really like and "have to have" every year.

Lance Berkman (healthy this year, you gotta love this guy)
Griffey Jr (he has killed me with the injuries, but got me 34 jacks in 05)
Clemens (he's money)

Hafner is the newest add to this list. This guy is a great hitter. I have never seen a guy with his power get so many quality AB's. He is sooo patient, then he makes you pay for your mistake.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Return to The Fantasy Forum