Text Size

The Fantasy Forum

Fantasy Quarterbacks

Talk fantasy football, baseball, basketball in here ... as well as any other fantasy sports contests or strategies.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, ramllov, Eckersley

Fantasy Quarterbacks

Unread postby pup » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:32 am

Let's have some debate. We will do QB's this week, RB's next week, WR's the following week and finish it up with TE, Team D and Kickers the last week of August. I will try to lay out some scoring scenerios to use.

Quarterbacks

1 pt for every 30 yards
6 pts per TD
3 pts for 40+ yard TD
3 pts for running/catching a TD
-3 for Ints

The top few are fun to talk about, but I am more interested in 4-16. Brady, Manning, Brees are obvious.
How do you handle QBs? Go early and get one of the top dogs? Try to pick the guy from the next tier who will play the best? Take the last guy standing?

Me? I put them into tiers. Usually goes the top 3, then a group of 5 or 6, another group of 5 or 6 and then the bottom feeders. I try to wait as long as I can and take the last guy left in any specific tier. If the guy I have rated last in the second tier is the available once I have a couple of other positions filled I will probably jump on him. Never start a quarterback run. And I rarely will take one of the big 3.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Fantasy Quarterbacks

Unread postby Ziner » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:45 pm

For the purpose of this argument I am going to rank my top 16

Tier 1
Brees
Manning
Brady

Tier 2
Rodgers
Romo
Rivers
Warner
Cutler
McNabb

Tier 3
Roethlisberger
Palmer
Cassell
Schaub
Ryan
Edwards
Hasselbeck

Agree or disagree with a few players here or there that is fairly close to what I think most people would select.

My theory has been, btw 5/5 with playoffs the last 2 years with 2 championships, should have been 4 rings except your boy DeAngelo derailed two of my stud playoff teams.

So anyways back on point. I have been never been a top tier QB guy, unless for some reason I get one of them to fall late in the second or early 3rd. Not likely. At that point I think they have value. After that while there is a difference I dont see the HUGE difference in tier 2 to tier 3 with the exception of risk. (I would also argue Warner and McNabb have pretty decent risk too) Besides that point, I have had more success going with 2 tier 3 guys in hopes that I can play matchups or hit on someone being hot. Or picking someone up like last year when I picked up Warner (early draft so he wasnt declared a starter yet) or Cassell. I feel that QB's are one position that you dont need a stud, having a matchup in many cases are just as good, hell I won one championship with Sage Rosenfels as my QB. While I wont have someone like Brady who is throwing 4 TDs a game, I will have a deep bench of Rbs and WRs where I can later make a trade if need be.

Therefore, my strategy usually is taking 2 guys in rounds 8-10. Usually taking RB's and WR's exclusively in Rounds 1-4, TE round 5 or earlier if the run already started and RB and WR's from 6-8. I prefer having a stud TE because the Gates, Clark, and Witten's of the world have so much more scoring ability to the Daniels, Scheffler, and Zach Millers of the world. I will be one to start a run on TEs but not on QBs.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:48 pm

Damn you snake draft asshats, none of you are going to help me and my salary cap conundrum.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby pup » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:44 am

e0y2e3 wrote:Damn you snake draft asshats, none of you are going to help me and my salary cap conundrum.

Talk to me.

Value is value. Draft or auction.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Return to The Fantasy Forum