Text Size

The Fantasy Forum

Fantasy Football '09: Crazy Top Of The Draft Board

Talk fantasy football, baseball, basketball in here ... as well as any other fantasy sports contests or strategies.

Moderators: peeker643, swerb, ramllov, Eckersley

Fantasy Football '09: Crazy Top Of The Draft Board

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:22 am

Clear cut #1 in AP. No clear cut #2.

11 of the top 12 RBs, including names like Turner, Forte, Johnson, Slaton. Names like Pierre Thomas, Roddy White, Kevin Smith, Ryan Grant in the top 30. Dual back rotations on prolly 24 of the 32 teams. Brady coming off an injury, Manning coming off a bad fantasy season.

You want the #1 pick this year, or as low as possible. Right?

http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/nfl/new ... re09-top40

Adrian Peterson 2 1 1 1 1
Maurice Jones-Drew(notes) 1 2 4 2 2
Michael Turner(notes) 3 3 3 3 3
Matt Forte(notes) 5 4 2 4 4
DeAngelo Williams(notes) 7 6 5 7 5
LaDainian Tomlinson(notes) 4 11 8 5 6
Steven Jackson 6 9 6 9 7
Larry Fitzgerald(notes) 10 5 10 8 8
Frank Gore(notes) 8 7 13 6 9
Brian Westbrook(notes) 9 8 9 10 10
Chris Johnson 12 12 11 12 11
Steve Slaton(notes) 13 10 7 17 11
Andre Johnson(notes) 14 13 14 11 13
Brandon Jacobs(notes) 11 16 12 13 13
Randy Moss(notes) 15 14 16 15 15
Marion Barber(notes) 17 20 17 16 16
Calvin Johnson(notes) 21 15 23 14 17
Drew Brees(notes) 18 18 18 19 17
Clinton Portis(notes) 20 22 15 18 19
Steve Smith 19 17 20 24 20
Tom Brady(notes) 26 19 24 21 21
Roddy White(notes) 25 24 21 22 22
Pierre Thomas(notes) 23 25 19 28 23
Greg Jennings(notes) 24 23 31 23 24
Ronnie Brown(notes) 16 31 28 26 24
Peyton Manning(notes) 22 21 36 25 26
Kevin Smith(notes) 27 26 32 20 27
Reggie Wayne(notes) 28 28 29 29 28
Anquan Boldin(notes) 29 29 30 30 29
Ryan Grant(notes)
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Fantasy Football '09: Crazy Top Of The Draft Board

Unread postby jjgmyers » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:51 am

Clear cut #1 in AP. No clear cut #2.

I'd take a top 10

AP
Turner
Deangelo
Larry Fitz
S. Jax (Love em this year)
Brees
MJD
Westbrook
Calvin Johnson
Forte

Don't think you can go wrong with any of those

Names like Pierre Thomas, Roddy White, Kevin Smith, Ryan Grant in the top 30.

Roddy White is my #3 WR this year
jjgmyers
I Heart Fat Chicks

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:05 pm

Guys, ive been waiting for someone to start this thread. Ive been already experimenting with the ESPN mock draft lobbys to see where guys are being drafted. Of course itll change 100 times from now until September but its still fun to get excited about. I was really suprised to see LT still in the top 10. Im thinking he will take the Priest Holmes drop this season. I think Braylon is going to have a breakout year and return to his 07 shape (contract year). To be honest, no rookies really impress me this season for immediate fantasy impact. Knoshown Moreno is going to share his carries with 5 other backs. It'll be interesting.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby ramllov » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:58 pm

Well we had our first of three keeper drafts. This league provided only rookies, three rounds and then opened the waiver wire.

It was interesting, one round each on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Another league keeper draft will be a combination of rookies and free agent veterans. This should go four rounds sometime in the next two weeks.
I enjoy this stuff.
ramllov

Unread postby Greyhound » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:09 pm

In 12 team leagues I'd prefer to be around 7 to 10 this year. You can land a top RB1 and top WR1 on the turn with that pick.
Greyhound

Unread postby DrPoove » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:46 pm

You want mid to late first round so you pick in the first half or the turn around in Round 2. Better than AP and #24 and #25 in a 12 team league.

My 10 pesos.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby pup » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:00 am

DrPoove wrote:You want mid to late first round so you pick in the first half or the turn around in Round 2. Better than AP and #24 and #25 in a 12 team league.

My 10 pesos.

I disagree. But only in terms of AP and the #24. I don't want #2 and #23, but I will take AP and take my chances with the combo at 24 and 25 every day of the week.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby DrPoove » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:56 pm

Pup wrote:
DrPoove wrote:You want mid to late first round so you pick in the first half or the turn around in Round 2. Better than AP and #24 and #25 in a 12 team league.

My 10 pesos.

I disagree. But only in terms of AP and the #24. I don't want #2 and #23, but I will take AP and take my chances with the combo at 24 and 25 every day of the week.

I can feel that. Tough but fair.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee

Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Unread postby MacGregor78 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:24 pm

It is amazing that the top 5 WRs now have a larger point spread compared to the rest of the pack as compared to RBs. Lots of depth at RB without a lot of standout, clear cut top tier guys. You have to love timeshares.

I am the 11th pick in a 12 team .5 ppr league this year and can easily see myself going WR, WR in the first 2 rounds (especially if a couple of the top 5 guys are still there).
MacGregor

Just hoping my child doesn't have to go grow up in a world where Cleveland Sports are terrible like I had to.
MacGregor78

Unread postby CohibaTC » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:57 pm

What if you have AP and the #3 pick? What do you do?

We run a modified keeper where you can keep one player from last year without losing that draft pick. I currently am keeping AP as my keeper and I have the #3 pick. It seems like MJD, Turner, SJax, Portis, Fitz will be gone (as keepers) by my pick. We have a QB heavy league where its 1 pt/25 yrds passing and 6 pts for all TDs. Is it crazy to go with Brady at #3 and then fill in with RBs and WRs with the next few rounds? Or do I go with the best available RB (Westbrook, Chris Johnson, Gore, or DeAngelo Williams) to pair with AP? Or even best WR (which may be Andre Johnson, Moss, Roddy White)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
CohibaTC

Unread postby pup » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:32 pm

How many teams? If you are sure to still get a solid RB with your second rounder I would be tempted to take QB. I still have Brees as my #1 QB, but you cannot go wrong with Brady.

In no way do I take receiver.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby CohibaTC » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Sorry, 12 teams in the league. Here are the keepers in our league: AP, Steve Smith, TO, Slaton, Kevin Smith, SJax, Forte, LT, Portis, Brandon Jacobs, Fitz, and Calvin Johnson.

I think the RB level drops off significantly towards the end of the 2nd round and WR are always there despite not getting an elite one. So my question becomes who do I select if MJD and Turner are gone at #3, assuming I can pick the best value RB or WR in the 3rd round.
CohibaTC

Unread postby pup » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:56 am

CohibaTC wrote:Sorry, 12 teams in the league. Here are the keepers in our league: AP, Steve Smith, TO, Slaton, Kevin Smith, SJax, Forte, LT, Portis, Brandon Jacobs, Fitz, and Calvin Johnson.

I think the RB level drops off significantly towards the end of the 2nd round and WR are always there despite not getting an elite one. So my question becomes who do I select if MJD and Turner are gone at #3, assuming I can pick the best value RB or WR in the 3rd round.

In that situation (you can always hope the guys with 1 and 2 take a QB!) it would be hard for me to not take Chris Johnson or Frank Gore.

Now, if the guys drafting 1 and 2 are the guys that kept AP and SJax and they finish off their backfields with MLD and Turner, then you might want to consider starting a QB run and not letting them get one of the top 6 of them. If a stud WR falls to them, so be it. His production can be equalled by rotating receivers throughout the season. But if everyone tries to catch up to the top guys RB strength, you are going to be looking at a team with Aaron Rodgers/AP/Turner. And you can basically turn out the lights if they do any decent job of adding depth. You have to make them play with a Matt Ryan at QB.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:50 pm

Damn it, right where I didnt want to be. In my 12 team non PPR draft tomorrow I am 6. Talk me through this and lets order my draft board for the 6th pick.

Assume AP, Turner, Forte, and MJD are gone. If they arent I will happily take them in a second.

So that, for the most part leaves me with

Chris Johnson - shares carries, is probably a reach, but perhaps the least risk
DeAngelo - was it lightining in a bottle or just the beginning of a break out career. Does Jstew eat in to his carries
LT - I dont think he is done, but I dont want to be wrong.
SJax - IF he stays healthy (big big if) and even with a shitty team he should get numbers out of pure bulk.

Talk me in to one or someone else I should consider. I cant see myself taking Fitz at 6, even though others are high on it. Maybe at 10-12, but these guys are still quality backs.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby pup » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:22 am

Ziner wrote:Damn it, right where I didnt want to be. In my 12 team non PPR draft tomorrow I am 6. Talk me through this and lets order my draft board for the 6th pick.

Assume AP, Turner, Forte, and MJD are gone. If they arent I will happily take them in a second.

DeAngelo - was it lightining in a bottle or just the beginning of a break out career. Does Jstew eat in to his carries
SJax - IF he stays healthy (big big if) and even with a shitty team he should get numbers out of pure bulk.

Talk me in to one or someone else I should consider. I cant see myself taking Fitz at 6, even though others are high on it. Maybe at 10-12, but these guys are still quality backs.

If that is how it falls and you are dead set on RB, I like Jackson, LT, DeAngelo, Johnson in that order.

Me? Depending on your scoring, I am taking Brees/Brady in that spot.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:39 am

Pup wrote:
Ziner wrote:Damn it, right where I didnt want to be. In my 12 team non PPR draft tomorrow I am 6. Talk me through this and lets order my draft board for the 6th pick.

If that is how it falls and you are dead set on RB, I like Jackson, LT, DeAngelo, Johnson in that order.

Are Brees + Portis better than LT and Manning though? or LT and Wayne and Rivers?

I hate this pick. No safe pick, unless I listen to you and take Brees or Brady. I actually have Brady ranked ahead of Brees
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby pup » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:07 pm

Ziner wrote:
Pup wrote:

Are Brees + Portis better than LT and Manning though? or LT and Wayne and Rivers?

I hate this pick. No safe pick, unless I listen to you and take Brees or Brady. I actually have Brady ranked ahead of Brees

I have them 1/1A.

So hard to answer without knowing the people in your league. Any chance something better than Portis makes it to that spot? Are you sure Manning does? If you are confident in Manning getting there, than RB/Manning is surely the way to go.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Keep your eye on Randy Moss. I've seen him drop in some mock drafts, but with Brady back, he could be the #1 fantasy receiver this year.

This is the first year I've questioned taking 3 RBs in my first 4 picks.
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Return to The Fantasy Forum