Text Size

TheClevelandFan.com Feedback, Suggestions, Questions

Game recaps...a good idea?

Fire away! Your feedback is encouraged, and Swerb will address all questions, comments, suggestions, and concerns in here.

Moderators: The Tribe Zone, peeker643, swerb

Game recaps...a good idea?

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:55 pm

Just curious, but should we rethink our position on game recaps? In all honesty, if someone is looking for a game recap on the Cavs or Indians, they likely will go to ESPN or CBS....or check the PD the next day online.

Maybe instead of recaps, some quick commentary on the actual game itself would be better? The B-List pretty much does this....I think if we came up with something else to fill gaps the B-List doesn't cover might be better. I just think the game recaps for the Indians and Cavs are a bit too much.....for the Browns, it would make sense.....

In addition to the B-List you could have "Three Strikes" as in three quick comments to things seen in the previous nights game....or the "Three Up and Three Down" idea Sykes had, instead going with "Three Up" showing three positive observations from the night and "Three Down" for three things that annoyed the piss out of you.

To me, this offers a different spin from a strict game recap and would be nice to partner up with the B-List.

Just sharing some thoughts.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:08 pm

Tony, I've been having the same thoughts, and thanks for letting me know your opinion.

Im open to any suggestions as to how to improve the site, and I hope everyone knows that.

I was thinking maybe game recaps just on days where there is no B-List. I want people to know then can come here the day after a game and get the straight skinny, but do feel the game recap and B-List may be overkill.

Possibly, each of the Tribe writers can come up with their own kinda alternative short column to produce once a week.

The other factor is, the Cavs are still playing. Once Cavs season ends, possibly a short recap of some sort in addition to the B-List may be more viable. But now, I do agree, it may be slight overkill.

Thoughts?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:17 am

I agree Rich.

I just think with the game recaps, it waters down the content a little. It isn't something that is exclusive to the site like an article you may write, or Buffs B-List, or Sobos Mock Draft, or a Farm Report from me, or an article from any other writer.

Maybe on days there is no B-List, you find an alternative piece to post on those days that is site specific. A catchy, fresh idea. Maybe that is where your writers come in. I am not sure what the workload for everyone is....but for example, if you have Buff doing a B-list 3-4 times a week on set days....you fill in the other 3-4 days with writer specific Indians pieces. Just an example:

Sunday: Swerbs Shots
Monday: B-List
Tuesday:Rigs Rants
Wednesday: B-List
Thursday: Pups Ponderings
Friday: B-List
Saturday: Mark's Blasts

In each of the writer's specific pieces, they can mention the previous nights game and provide commentary on that as well as other games from the previous week.

Obviously, I was just throwing out names...but I hope you see what I am getting at. All of those types of things could recap the games in a unique way that may entice viewers....and get a set schedule so to speak so people know what to expect and when.

Obviously, we all have day jobs and a "schedule" ultimately will be hard to keep....so that is where you have a few backup plans (alternative pieces) to throw in when a writer can't do a piece one week or is delayed, etc.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:05 am

Im thinking along the same lines.

However, once the Cavs win the NBA Finals, I don't necessarily think 2 Indians columns a day is overkill. What the hell else is there to talk about in June/July with our main theme teams?

The B-List will always have a spot at 1 PM anytime Buff can write it. Amazingly, he has transformed the 1-2 PM Hour to the most trafficked hour on the site in April.

On the flip side, continuing to run that at 1 PM, and then not having anything else about the Indians game post until then ... I don't know if I like that.

I want people to be able to log on in the morning at 9 AM and at least get some info on the prev nights Tribe game.

Run the B-List in the morning? Continue with recaps?

Im just thinking out loud.

Anyone have any thoughts?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:43 pm

I think the goal is to have this be the place to go for Cleveland fans, and therefore should include game recaps. It might not be "worth" it today, or tomorrow, but as people get to know the site, this is just another feature for people to count on.

Maybe we need to go more generic on the recaps and not offer as much commentary. Just a pretty plain and basic, this is what happened recap and leave the commentary for the B-List and/or a 3 up 3 down column, that I would love to write. I can plan on doing it once a week to cover the prior weeks developments. I just have a funny feeling that alot of the 3 downs will center around: 1. Wedge sleeping in the dugout, 2. Boone struggling again (even though I am his #1 supporter) and 3. poor fundamentals.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:58 am

I'm going to move this to the suggestions forum to see if it gets any more play. I am going to stick with the recaps for now until I can make a final decision on this.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Re: Game recaps...a good idea?

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:16 am

Consigliere wrote:Just curious, but should we rethink our position on game recaps? In all honesty, if someone is looking for a game recap on the Cavs or Indians, they likely will go to ESPN or CBS....or check the PD the next day online.

I think looking to the future, it will be necessary for at least the result to be on the page so you don't HAVE to go to ESPN or CBS to find out what happened. It could be more like what I get in the newspaper, though, where I get up to four sentences or as few as one, and then links to the other sites. Just an idea.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby swerb » Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:24 am

Buff, I tend to agree. The recaps I like to keep short and simple, and they only take me about 15 min. Linking other sites could shorten them even further.

And they need not be in the top spot long at all.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to TheClevelandFan.com Feedback, Suggestions, Questions