Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Carthon - Shitcanned ... Was That So Hard?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Carthon - Shitcanned ... Was That So Hard?

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:23 pm

While the OL deserves the lions share of the blame for the offensive woes, this clown needed to go. I've seen things the first 6 weeks of this season that I've never seen before in my life.

Back to back play action passes down 17 points in the 4th quarter yesterday was the capper.

Good riddance.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:35 pm

Halle-fucking-lujah!
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby mark » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:08 am

The timing is a bit odd---the week after the bye. Seems if you were considered doing this, the bye week made the most sense. It is probably the case that Crennel was pressured to do this from above.

I don't see it really changing the results on the field much---but it was apparent that Carthon and the players were not getting along much. Probably a good thing to do in the long run.
mark

Unread postby pup » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:19 am

Does anyone else get the feeling the Kirk Ferentz will be here next year? How exciting, now both the Tribe and the Browns can have GMs and Head coaches/managers that are best friends. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby yogi » Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:17 am

Mo was the sacrificial lamb.

Hell, there's no crying for him and shouts of unfair. You've got to have your O perform better than it did. It'll start and end with a better effort by the OL. If it doesn't block better, Bill Walsh couldn't formulate a game plan that would score 20 points with this bunch.

My bet is the OL has a good game against the Jets. (their D stinks) and we score at least 24 points. And it won't be because Carthon is gone, it'll happen because the OL will be able to handle this D.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby woodsmeister » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:21 pm

Anybody else disturbed by the fact that it appears that the guy who will be calling the plays will likely be the offensive line coach, the coach of the most clearly underperforming part of this team?

Yeah, it's hard to imagine that things could be worse than Carthon, but still...
woodsmeister

Unread postby The Score » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:27 pm

I maintain that with proper playcalling, personnel sets, and schemes that this line won't look near as inept as they have under Carthon.
The Score

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:28 pm

well played woodsmeister! WELL PLAYED.

Carthon is phase one of the firings. I am not saying that Crennel will get canned, but I think it is pretty clear now that should this team continue to suck, there will be many more firings.

Like many have said, the players are a problem and it would be hard for anyone to win here right now, but this team has not only lost, but looked tired and horrible in doing so.

I think when this team wins three or fewer games this year, we may see Savage and Crennel get canned too. I think alot of that will be determined by whether or not this team continues to play like it has while losing.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:42 pm

Anybody else disturbed by the fact that it appears that the guy who will be calling the plays will likely be the offensive line coach, the coach of the most clearly underperforming part of this team?

Yeah, it's hard to imagine that things could be worse than Carthon, but still...

Davidson is pretty highly regarded in NFL circles. If you remember, the Browns gave him a title of "Assistant Head Coach" this off-season to fend off teams that wanted to look at him as an Off Coord.

Who knows though ... the OL has been brutal. Still, managing an OL and calling plays are two different things.

Bottom line, in another lost season, the team needs to do everything they can to try and help them out next year. And getting a look-see at Davidson as an OC will at least give them some additional data to look at when making decisions this off-season.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:50 pm

Carthon is phase one of the firings. I am not saying that Crennel will get canned, but I think it is pretty clear now that should this team continue to suck, there will be many more firings.

Like many have said, the players are a problem and it would be hard for anyone to win here right now, but this team has not only lost, but looked tired and horrible in doing so.

I think when this team wins three or fewer games this year, we may see Savage and Crennel get canned too. I think alot of that will be determined by whether or not this team continues to play like it has while losing.

Couple things to remember. Lerner wanted to fire Savage this past winter. Collins had him convinced to do so before fan outcry stopped him. There's no reason anyone should think Savage's job is secure.

If Lerner is behind Savage 100% now, we then must remember that Romeo is not a Savage Guy.

Lastly, the possibility has to exist that Lerner will look to get out. Especially with a new toy in Ashton Villa. If this team goes 2-14 or 3-13, I could definitely see Lerner throwing his hands in the air and just tapping out.

Bottom line - I'd be surprised if Lerner, Savage, and Romeo are all back next year. One may go, all three may go. I don't see all three coming back, especially if this team can't get to 4 wins.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL