Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Address the DL, Defense Could Be Real Good Next Year

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Address the DL, Defense Could Be Real Good Next Year

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:47 pm

Without a doubt, one of the huge bright spots for the Browns in an otherwise poor start has been the play of some of the young kids on defense. Wimbley, D'Qwell, A.Davis, Bodden, Pool, S.Jones all have looked real good IMO.

I love the way the linebacking corps is shaping up with Wimbley, A.Davis, D'Qwell, and McGinest. They still need to address the depth there. McGinest and Stewart are getting long in the tooth. Chaun Thompson is a perpetual dick tease, and has nothing between the ears. Speegle just got cut, and McMillan looks like a bust as well. Unck is solid on special teams, but does not have the size, speed, or strength to contribute at LB.

DBs ... I say we move Brodney Pool to CB. He held his own against Keyshawn last week and really showed me some things. Baxter and Cutch are china dolls and need to go. I go to war next year with Bodden and Pool at CB, and look to bring in a strong 3rd CB with the $$ you save kicking Baxter and Cutch to the curb. Sean Jones looks like a superstar at safety, and Russell has had a helluva year as well. I try and resign Russell at years end, and put him next to Jones for a couple more years.

The DL though ... 2 year deal and all, Big Ted in '07 looks shaky at best. McKinley is average at best, and needs replaced. I have no problems with McKinley as a 4th DE, but I don't like him as a starter. Roye just signed a 3 year deal, and is still reasonably productive. Fraser from OSU has looked pretty good in spots.

Assuming the Browns stay with Romeo and the 3-4, they still need 2 NT's. And a couple DE's as well.

Its asking alot, but I like the young core at LB and DB, and the defense has played pretty well so far, and has some nice upside potential going forward.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:57 pm

Need to see more. Incomplete so far as far as the defense goes. They were awful against the bengals, bad against New Orleans.....did well against two bad Raiders and Ravens offenses (who put up a combined 36 points on us).....and solid against Carolina.

In the coming weeks, we'll learn a lot about this football team on both sides of the ball. Still think we need a lot.....which is disturbing. Why can't we turn things around in one year like New Orleans or all these other 3-4 win teams who go on to win 10+ the following year?
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:11 am

The team is horrid. THey have a few good players on the D, but this is ugly. I think the offense is so bad that it creates the illusion that the defense is better than it is.

The offense makes me sick. The only positive parts? The receivers/KWII
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby yogi » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:45 am

Man, some of you guys are depressing!

Actually, I don't think Big Ted has played that badly. He just can't go no more than 33-50% of the snaps. The back-ups have played badly.

I agree that we need to get another NT and a top quality DT. IMO, Ted could come back and still be effective playing in a limited role. Roye and McKinley are fine as part time starters but we need another guy in the rotation and he has to be a stud.

I don't like Andra Davis but I know we're stuck with him. Chaun may never get it completetly but if you're looking at him as a back-up, he provides pretty good quality depth.

I think it would be a good idea to line Pool up at CB for this year but he's probably fits best at S. Can't hurt to play him there though and see what you got.

I think we'll be in good shape here next year and for many years to come.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:09 pm

Good point about Andra Davis. He might be the most over-rated player on this team not named Frye.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL