Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Thoughts On Frye Through 5 Games?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Thoughts On Frye Through 5 Games?

Unread postby swerb » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:55 pm

Clearly, 0 TDs and 8 INTS in the 4th quarter of his 12 career starts is heavily disturbing. But at least at this point, I'm still sold on Frye as the starting QB for this team in 2007.

Like with any of the QBs that have lined up behind center for these past eight years, a miserable OL makes it truly tough to gauge and evaluate Frye as a NFL signal caller. I love the kids moxie, his mobility, his feel in the pocket. His arm has answered all the doubters, most of his long balls have been beautifully thrown this season.

The things that drive me nuts with Charlie are all between the ears. When he cannot use his legs to avoid the almost constant siege he is under, he often either holds onto the ball too long, or makes a foolish dangerous throw. I guess thats something that comes with experience.

The Carolina game was one of his worst as a pro. But I'm still hangin 'on in the Frye in '07 camp.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby dpdad » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:13 am

Frye is one of the least of my concerns about the Browns. Virtually every game is catch-up, so the defenses are teeing off and expecting him to throw in the fourth quarter. I would like to see Frye be more accurate in his throws. He doesn't seem to lead receivers well. But the lack of pass protection may have a lot to do with his accuracy problems.

I would like to see the Browns get a solid veteran QB for backup (like Danielson was for Kosar). I think that would help Frye on the learning curve.
dpdad

Unread postby yogi » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:23 am

I agree.

Charlie has shown promise and is worthy of getting the time needed to see if he's the guy.

I think he can be very good, but even if he's just slightly above average, he's gonna need to take better care of the football.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:42 pm

I was very skeptic on Frye before the season started.....and so far, nothing has changed. I think the Browns would be smart this offseason to invest a first day pick on another QB or sign a QB in FA to at least push Frye and give us a Plan B.

But, I would say I think a bigger need might be RB. I like Droughns.....but he looks a step slower. Would be nice to get a franchise back for once.....*

* Of course, the d-line and o-line need help as well.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:59 pm

Lets not kid ourselves here, the browns will be drafting in the top five. I dont see a top 5 Oline man, so i say go with a big time QB or RB and give us some hope for the future. I know the line is a problem, but I really hope the Browns get us a star playmaker this year because they really don't have one.

That being said, I like Adrian Peterson a lot, A LOT.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:25 pm

Dude, if the Browns could get Adrian Peterson I would be ecstatic. Of course, Peterson probably goes #1 or #2.....I think we'll end up with the #4 pick....
consigliere

Unread postby The Score » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:00 pm

The Browns do not need to spend their 1st round pick on a QB or even a RB. If Peterson stays healthy the rest of this season and is available I would think about it, but that is the only guy.

What they need is DL in the 1st and OL in the 2nd and 3rd.
The Score

Unread postby pup » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:01 am

Frye - Imagine if at your job, there was NOBODY there to teach you, mentor you or just talk to you. This is the problem with them not bringing in a veteran backup. When Charlie gets a little confused or doesn't have a good read on something, where does he go for advice? This is one of the worst offensive coaching staffs in the league with no QB experience amoing them. He needs a former QB to come in here as the QB coach and an experienced guy to lean on during games. I love his makeup, wish he would just throw the ball away more (and not to the middle of the field :lol: ) and bitch at Carthon for not playing Kellen on 3rd and 4.

Draft - I see no reason to believe we will not be in the top 3. We might only win 1 more game. There is no OL prospects to take there. If you can trade down without taking 75 cents on the dollar, it must be considered. Otherwise, Adrian Peterson is a no doubter. Tough, inside runner with the speed to get the corner (for the 3rd and 1 sweeps)!!!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:17 am

Great point about Frye and how it was pure idiocy on the part of Savage not to have a vet backup this year.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:42 am

From one side, I understand not bringing in the vet. They wanted Frye to know it was his job and his team. I think the underestimated the total lack of having an experienced person for him to lean on in the tough times though.

Here is the resume for QB Coach Rip Scherer:
1974-75 Penn State University, graduate assistant
1976 North Carolina State University, quarterbacks coach
1977-78 University of Hawaii, running backs coach
1979 University of Virginia, quarterbacks coach
1980-86 Georgia Tech, quarterbacks coach/offensive coordinator
1987 University of Alabama, offensive coordinator
1988-90 University of Arizona, offensive coordinator
1991-94 James Madison University, head coach
1995-2000 University of Memphis, head coach
2001 University of Kansas, co-offensive coordinator
2003-04 University of Southern Mississippi, offensive coordinator
2005 Cleveland Browns, quarterbacks coach

Notice there is no NFL experience in his background. I guess this makes the choice to not have a veteran backup in the mix even dumber.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:43 am

The thing that makes me feel best about Frye is looking at the progression being made this year by both Rex Grossman and Alex Smith, both of whom sucked last year.

The line is terrible, and Charlie does make too many mistakes when he's trying to put the entire team on his shoulders, but I expect both to improve next year at the latest with the return of LeChuck.

I still see the Browns picking somewhere between 5 & 10, which means Peterson will be gone (dammit).

Given the continual ouchies Baxter seems to get to his boobal area, I'm hoping they can find another shut down corner to go with Bodden, and we can end up with a duo as good as what Carolina has with Lucas and Gamble (or old Dixon/Minnifield days).

Unread postby The Score » Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:48 pm

The thing that makes me feel best about Frye is looking at the progression being made this year by both Rex Grossman and Alex Smith, both of whom sucked last year.

Does Alex Smith appearing to get better have anything to do with Dilfer being his back up?
The Score

Unread postby pup » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:36 pm

Or it could be what happens when a talented guy gets consistent reps in for more than 8 games.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby The Score » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:03 pm

Or it could be what happens when a talented guy gets consistent reps in for more than 8 games.

My statement was mostly tongue in cheek. Although, I would credit having a legit offensive coordinator for a good deal of Smith's progress this year.
The Score

Unread postby swerb » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:41 am

I think having a veteran backup QB is overrated to the development of a young QB.

There are of course exceptions. Kosar often speaks openly of how Danielson helped him out alot. There have been alot of other situations where you truly have a very smart vet backup, who enjoys the role, and enjoys tutoring the kid. As we've seen here though, alot of backups are not happy about not starting. Garcia, Dilfer, Holcomb ... all 3 cried their way outta town.

However, the lack of a OL, and the lack of a O-Coordinator with a brain are much, much, much bigger concerns of mine as it relates to the development of Frye. Don't get me wrong, a vet backup would help out alot ... but as pup said, they need to do something with the offensive coaching staff first, which has a huge impact on results on the field.

Also, I didn't realize until today that the Browns QB coach had no prior NFL coaching experience. That is also a concern. Especially with a head coach that knows nothing about offense, and an offensive coordinator that has alot in common with the scarecrow from the Wizard Of Oz.

I do like Frye. I like what I've seen, given the circumstances. They have to put him in a better position to succeed.

Time to start reading up on the LT from Wisconsin. That's how you know it's October in Cleveland.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:52 am

Sorry, I am done with the "poor o-line" excuse. Outside of like 4-5 teams in the NFL, every team has o-line issues.

The o-line is average....the supporting cast of JJ, KW2, Braylon, and Droughns is pretty good.

To me, it boils down to the player (Frye) and the coaching staff (Crennel, Carthon and the QB coach). Right now, it is split right down the middle for me, as I assess 50% of the QB issues to Frye, and the other 50% to the coaches.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:13 am

Check out my opinion of the o-line in the #5 pick thread.

Somebody get Gary Danielson out of the damn broadcast booth and on our sideline, stat!

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL