Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

what are we going to do with our lottery pick?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

what are we going to do with our lottery pick?

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 18, 2006 7:26 am

Anyone got any ideas? Since the Browns look like about a 2-14 team right now, anyone got any ideas on what we should do with our next top five pick?

Wow, this team does NOTHING well. Even the Packers were able to give the Saints a good game. I guess that is our neighborhood now, Green Bay, New Orleans, and Tennessee. Pretty crappy neighborhood if you ask me.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:24 am

1. Adrian Peterson
2. Brian Brohm
3. Troy Smith
4. Brady Quinn
5. Fat dude from Texas
6. Ted Ginn
7. Jim Tressel
8. Bobby Petrino
9. Bobby Petrino's little brother to call plays.
10. Swerb
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:18 am

A running back and 3 QBs before you consider the fat guy from Texas ?
This team will be losers until we start investing in fat guys (young... not 38 year olds) for both lines.
If I am Troy Smith or Brady Quinn, I'd want agent able to pull an Eli on the Browns...or risk becoming the next Tim Couch.

At least the Browns tried to address the line this year in free agency. Everyone knows how that ended up.

Savage should be thinking again about signing the top guard in free agency - Steinbach. Didn't we pass him up in the draft for a WR ? Get Bentley back and draft a tackle (Thomas, Brown, or Blaylock - G).

Edwards, Winslow, and Ginn would sure would look great on paper. Yet, I don't think any QB wants to go through a season with Fraley, Coleman, and Andruzzi.
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 18, 2006 12:30 pm

There are no fat guys worth taking in the top five (where it looks like the Browns will be drafting) this year.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Draft for Need

Unread postby johnnyo » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:13 pm

The dilemna:

Should they draft for need or take the best player available?

Not because I'm a fan of theirs, but Pittsburgh seems to draft for need more often than not. Appears to be working.
Ride it like you stole it.
johnnyo
Stiller Fan

Unread postby pup » Mon Sep 18, 2006 4:06 pm

I would love for them to take an offensive lineman, but this isn't a great crop coming out, so there isn't much of an option there.

Drafting for need is great, and much easier to do when picking 23 and later instead of top 5. That is the problem with the draft. Teams get absolutely killed for passing on a superstar to take a big ugly, even though you heed the big uglies to be succesful.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Guest » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:21 pm

Depending on where we draft, Sam Baker from USC or Jake Long from scUM might fill a needed hole at RT (Baker could move to LT).

That's assuming we finish above Oakland, GB, Ten, Hou, Det, and some other crappy team like TB, SF, or Ari, and end up drafting #5 - #8.

If higher, Peterson would be a great selection IF Phil were able to pick up at least one quality guard in free agency to go along with Bentley, and then draft another guard or RT in early round 2.

Antoine Cason, CB - Arizona or Frank Okarm, DT/DE from Texas may also fill a desperate need.

Unread postby Guest » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:38 pm

DB being a HUGE need is what I've been saying
They are painful

Unread postby swerb » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:09 pm

There's alot of awful teams in the NFL this year.

Houston, Oakland, Green Bay, Detroit, Tennessee, and San Francisco are all horrific. As bad as the Browns look two weeks into the season, the chances are good that they will not find themselves in the top five picks.

Five possibilities as I see it, as things presently stand. Obviously, alot can happen between now and next April.

QB

Brady Quinn is being widely projected as a surefire top 3 pick. The kid I love is Drew Stanton from Mich St. I feel Stanton is going to be an excellent pro QB. Brian Brohm from Louisville is also projected as a high pick.

RB

Adrian Peterson, Kenny Irons, and Marshawn Lynch appear to be the head of the RB class ... with Peterson close to a lock to be a top 5 pick.

OL

Sam Baker from USC was mentioned. Three Big Ten guys are also being mentioned as elite OT prospects: Joe Thomas from Wisconsin, Levi Brown from Penn St, and Jake Long from Michigan. The kid from No Illinois (Doug Free) also impressed the hell outta me.

DL

The fat dude from Texas (Frank Okam), Quentin Moses from Georgia, and Gaines Adams from Clemson are the top prospects, and three guys I will be keeping a close eye on during Saturday afternoons the rest of the way out. Given the age of Roye, Ted, McKinley, and the lack of depth ... this is the most glaring need to me as of right now.

CB

Again, it's early ... but there do not appear to be any top shelf elite CBs in next years draft right now.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:47 am

well, when the browns suck really bad in 2007, we should be able to draft high enough to get Malcolm Jenkins to shore up our CB situation.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby yogi » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:26 pm

well, we'll have all of this year to eval Charlie and should he look like he's a quality starter, I'd look to Adrian Peterson and get the stud RB.

The rest of the draft to fill holes and needs along with FA.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL