Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns predictions

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Browns predictions

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:26 pm

Thought I would throw this out there....

2006 Record: 6-10

They should be competitive, and that record could increase/decrease by a factor of 2 depending on what happens with the QB situation.

The defense should be solid.....and we have some good talent at the skill positions on offense. The key for this team just might be the 0-line and QB. And, I think the fact we did not sign or pick up a suitable backup for Frye will bite us this year.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:14 pm

8-8, with 9-7 being more likely than 7-9.

Here are my 8 wins:

Saints
Ravens twice
Oakland
Jets
Cinci @ home
KC
Houston

Yes QB is an issue if Frye gets hurt. If he plays 16 games, I am not real worried about the position. I don't think he is going to go out and win many games for us, but I don't see that as a problem. He will be out there to manage the game and spread the ball around.

The key for every team is the OL.

As far as skill players go, I don't see us too far behind any of the other teams in the North as an overall group.

I love the defense. I really think they will be a major strength. The were good last year. They finished 11th in points allowed and added Big Ted and Willie. I see no reason why they can't move into the top 6 or 7 in points allowed. The top 9 teams in points allowed in 2005 ALL made the playoffs. If you can keep your opponents under 17 a game, you will have a shot to win each of those games.

It might not be pretty every week, but they have a legit shot at 9 wins.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby yogi » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:59 pm

9-7.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby furls » Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:39 pm

I am going to back off my optimism of 8-8 and go with 6-10. I am not very optimistic about the offense this season anymore.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Guest » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:20 pm

8-8

Unread postby pup » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:13 am

I am not very optimistic about the offense this season anymore

As a result of their pre-season play, or the center issues? I think the OL is definitely ahead of where it was last year (I know, not really saying much there!) With Romeo coming from the secret world of Bill Belicheck, it would not surprise me to see the offense come out firing with a completely different mindeset then we saw in August.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby furls » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:25 am

The offense just didn't seem that good. I don't mean that from a scheme point of view, I mean in terms of execution. Braylon Edwards, Jurevicious, and Winslow will make this team better, but I just don't see consistent execution.

The OL looks vulnerable and I am not sure if they will be able to really run the ball effectively with any consistancy. That diminishes the "Winslow, Edwards, Jurevicious" effect.

I hope I am wrong, but I just feel like they are about the 15th-20th best offense in the NFL.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:58 pm

Pup wrote:As a result of their pre-season play, or the center issues? I think the OL is definitely ahead of where it was last year (I know, not really saying much there!) With Romeo coming from the secret world of Bill Belicheck, it would not surprise me to see the offense come out firing with a completely different mindeset then we saw in August.

I ain't buying it. It's like hoping I go to bed with my wife tonight and waking up next to Ashley Judd tomorrow. This offense isn't going to change overnight, especially with Mo Carthon as the OC.

I will be pleasantly surprised if they in fact open it up some offensively this year.....but if anyone is expecting it or hoping for it, have fun banging your head against the wall all season. :wink:

Defense should be better....offense will improve some....6-10 is expected, and if a few things go their way MAYBE they get 8-9 wins.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:35 pm

And I am obviously an idiot who cannot turn off being a fan and objectively look at this team. What a pathetic performance, and I see no reason for optimism any longer.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:39 pm

All I have to say is...... :shock:

I was not buying the hype with the QB and team....but I didn't expect them to look THAT bad. The offense was P-A-T-H-E-T-I-C. Horrible.

I swear, I was in a Delorian watching the 99 Browns and Tim Couch running around and scrambling to make plays, leading the team in rushing, and dinking and dunking with the passing game. Awful.

Mo Carton has no business being an OC. Savage is a fucking moron for going into this season with only one bullet loaded into his QB gun (which, may end up a blank), and the offensive line was, um, offensive.

The more things change with this team, the more they change.

Anyway, all is not lost....I still see this team improving as the season progresses, but today was a huge dose of reality for all of us fans. They may use this game as a wake up call, and I hope they do. Two tough games coming up against the Bengals and Ravens....could we actually be 0-3 going into the Oakland game? Sheesh.

Long, long way to go.....today's game does nothing to change my predictions, I still say 6 wins, and if a few things go their way, 7-8. But today showed that Frye is still learning, the offensive line woes keep returning like Freddy Kreuger (can't we just kill off the o-line issues once and for all??????), and our OC is a fucking moron (it's like 2003 redux with Arians).
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:21 am

Brady Quinn or Troy Smith?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:27 am

That would be an interesting debate.....but if we are that high (top 5)....are there any top flight offensive tackles coming out that are expected to be top 5 picks?
consigliere

Unread postby furls » Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:27 pm

That would be an interesting debate.....but if we are that high (top 5)....are there any top flight offensive tackles coming out that are expected to be top 5 picks?

Justin Blaylock out of Texas will be out next year, but I do not think there are any D-Brick Fergusons out there.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:23 am

bump

Sykes....you predicted 8-8 and possibly 9-7. You must have seen a lot more talent on this team then than now to make that prediction. :mrgreen:

So, either you were wrong then on the talent aspect.....or you are wrong now that the talent is not there and that Crennel should be retained. :twisted:
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:07 am

The key for every team is the OL

Which turned out to be worse than I expected.

Sykes....you predicted 8-8 and possibly 9-7. You must have seen a lot more talent on this team then than now to make that prediction

Look at the games I picked them to win. The Saints were obviously better than I (or most people) thught.

I also predicted them to beat Baltimore twice. Take away those three wins and I am pretty close to what this team was capable of.

I would say I was more wrong about the talent in NO and Baltimore than the Browns.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:19 pm

Pretty funny to go back and read this entire thread now. I was all about a QB and consig was all over an offensive tackle. :shaking:

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL