Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Where is Lerner's Loyalty?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Where is Lerner's Loyalty?

Unread postby steviedifranco » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:03 am

I read this article on Yahoo this morning, and it makes me wonder if Randy Lerner really cares about his team:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Basically, he's buying an English Premier League soccer team, Aston Villa, for $133 million. He is going to funnel so much money towards making that team good, that I wonder if he'll forget about the Browns altogether. I wonder if he just doesn't care about the Browns or what. It really irks me the wrong way.
steviedifranco
Site Admin

Unread postby swerb » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:05 pm

Im not worried.

Lerner has been a hands off owner here for the most part. The one time he tried to get involved (The John Collins soap opera) ... all hell almost broke loose and the team almost lost Phil Savage and incited a fan riot.

IMO, Lerner realized at that point, "I just need to step back." The hiring, then the firing of Collins was a disaster that exposed Randy as an idiot to most of the Browns fan base.

Without his buddy here, with a seemingly competent GM and coaching staff, and with a rabid fan base that he knows wants him as far away from day to day decisions as possible ... hes probably bored. He sold MBNA, and has little to do with the day to day of the Browns.

Owning a football team isn't like owning a baseball team. Theres only 8 home games to worry about, and even the shitty teams that draw poor make money.

Lerner has more $$$ than God, and wanted a new toy. This doesn't concern me.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL