Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Anybody want to talk about trading Andrson now

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Unread postby jb » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:33 pm

I have run into some real hard heads in my day, but SD, you by far take the cake.

Pup, he's just getting warm.

So long as ev'ryone can keep it in perspective and not take it personally, we can keep hammering away.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:35 pm

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2007&seasonType=REG

SD, you do realize that making a huge deal about the dif between Rivers and Brees is, uh, assinine? They Frick n Frack.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jfiling » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:07 pm

bostondog wrote:
why would anyone have sand in their vagina about losing DA?

Because nobody, including Phil, knows how Quinn is going to play. It's all speculation until he hits the field.

And frankly, it's mystifying why people can't wait to run Anderson out of town for a few draft picks the way he's playing.

I'm not trying to run DA out of town. I am trying to be realistic, with DA's impending RFA, Quinn being here as the QB of the future, and our needs on the front 7 of the D. Personally I want them to tender him, see how he plays next season, and then make a decision. I think I've been clear on that fact. At worst we lose DA for a 1st and 3rd and go forward with Quinn. Next worst is we franchise DA for 2009 if he's still playing awesome, or at least good enough to keep Quinn on the bench one more year. At best we deal Quinn after next season and sign DA to a long-term contract. Quinn is signed through 2011, and his contract becomes more tradable as it ages.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:27 am

HoodooMan wrote:Hi honey , glad to see you want to add your tired little voice to the other girls in the choir.

Now, schnookums, that's no way to speak to your honey.

Philip Rivers was allowed to relax and operate completely out of the catbird seat ala Ben Toothlesburgers Steelers when Jerome Bettis and company bludgeoned opponents with their vaunted running game
sprinkled in with wide open pass plays like garnish added to a finely crfated meal

It would help if while "looking at the facts" you didn't make shit up. In 2004 & 2005, Roethlisberger threw the ball 295 & 268 times in the regular season, about 18 & 17 attempts per game.

Phillip Rivers had 460 attempts in 2006. Or about 29 attempts a game.

That isn't leaning on LDT and asking him to manage the game, and he did what he did with one legit receiver: Antonio Gates. DA has a TE at least as good as Gates and two WRs better than anything the Chargers had last year, including Braylon Edwards who just so happens to be one of the best in the game right now. And while our running game certainly isn't '06 LDT-led Chargers good, it gives DA plenty of support.

Honey.

He played in his third year not his first or second .

Anderson is blowing up in his third , but he had previos experience.

Rivers is now regressing in his fourth year his second of actual experience,while Breeze has continued at an All Pro level.

Anderson and Braylon share a tremendous chemistry , just because one QB does something on a team with playmakers you can't assume the other can do the same .

The Chargers made that mistake on several counts thinking they could plug in players and coaches and its come back to bite them on their ass.

Anderson is proven .

Quinn hasn't done nothin , thats indisputable.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:45 am

JB wrote:http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&season=2007&seasonType=REG

SD, you do realize that making a huge deal about the dif between Rivers and Brees is, uh, assinine? They Frick n Frack.

SD:

Whose playing QB behind a more talented contingent ,

Rivers is leading his team over a clift in an irreversible tailspin out of the playoffs , while Breeze has righted the ship from yje abyssand is front an center of their turnaround with 4 straight victories .

Stats don't tell it all , Breeze is making plays , while Rivers lack f the same is killing the Chargers.

Derek Andersons playmaking is why the Browns are where they are today , he's the one that has this thing in full tilt boogey .

Peeps acting like he's the interloper to Lady Qinns throne is the true
assinniniity.

Mutha Fuckas just refuse to recognize the reality of the situation ,
Derek Anderson is the 800 lb Gorrilla in the room ,and while players may like the Brady kid personnally, the team aint about to back no punk ass wet behind the ears kid long as that bad mutha fucka is swingin dick and
got the pussy train lined up.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:47 am

Rivers second year of experience is far superior to Brees', for the record.

As a matter of fact, after Brees second year there weren't many fans in that city that thought he was the future for that, or any NFL team.

Point being, you can't use the Chargers as a direct comparison to the Browns situation because it cuts both ways. Rivers may end up far superior to Brees in the long run, or maybe not. There is no way you have enough info right now.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:36 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:Rivers is leading his team over a clift in an irreversible tailspin out of the playoffs , while Breeze has righted the ship from yje abyssand is front an center of their turnaround with 4 straight victories .

OK. Considering that I can't even find a translator online to make anything I just quoted make sense in English, I guess it's best for all of us to either ignore SoulDawg74, or else submit to his transcendent genius.
jfiling
Old School Writer

And the Beat goes on

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:41 am

jfiling wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:Rivers is leading his team over a clift in an irreversible tailspin out of the playoffs , while Breeze has righted the ship from yje abyssand is front an center of their turnaround with 4 straight victories .

OK. Considering that I can't even find a translator online to make anything I just quoted make sense in English, I guess it's best for all of us to either ignore SoulDawg74, or else submit to his transcendent genius.

SD:

I accept Visa mastercard American express Cashiers Checks Money orders and Cash

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/?

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:27 pm

Wonderful game by DA. Are we still trying to rank him with Brady and Manning? This guy will be hit and miss his entire career.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:32 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:Derek Andersons playmaking is why the Browns are where they are today , he's the one that has this thing in full tilt boogey .

SoulDawg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
jfiling
Old School Writer

this one hurts

Unread postby berniefan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:35 pm

I know everyone should be proud the way they played today. But all-in-all we had them on the ropes. We should have won today and we let the Steelers have this game. DA has definetely come back down to earth this week. It will be interesting to see how we come out and play next week after this heartbreaker that will be hard to forget.
berniefan

Unread postby General » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:38 pm

Thank god for that performance, I was afraid that this thread would die. :lol:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:59 pm

General wrote:Thank god for that performance, I was afraid that this thread would die. :lol:

Yeah in his 12th career start in their sewer of a football filed where we've lost 20 of the last 23 he was terrible ,three TD's no sacks and no interceptions against the NFL's top ranked defense on a day our rushing offense netted 40 yards .

Terrible terrible play , he must of slipped to at least a 110 QB rating far from pefect and only 20 -25% higher than his 92% average heading into that game

Terrible play he should have his eyes scrathed out by you hatas
and not be invited to anymore of your fingernail painting parties.

Yeah that will fixem.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:03 pm

Its insane man .... people are just dying for this kid to fall apart.

Best QB play we've seen here in 20 years, and theres a legit segment of Browns fans dyin for this kid to fall on his face in the middle of a playoff race so we can throw a rookie in there.

This city will never cease to amaze me.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:06 pm

QB rating is pretty much meaningless. That said, DA's today was 83.4
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:08 pm

Its insane man .... people are just dying for this kid to fall apart.

Best QB play we've seen here in 20 years, and theres a legit segment of Browns fans dyin for this kid to fall on his face in the middle of a playoff race so we can throw a rookie in there.

This city will never cease to amaze me.

Strawman horseshit.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:09 pm

No contrarion take this week?

Come on ... this is right where you jump back on the DA bandwagon while everyones getting off.

You can't change your shtick now!
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:10 pm

QB rating is not meaningless, it's not an end all method of analyzing but it is a fairly accurate tool in judging a QB's performance, by game and by season.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:14 pm

No contrarion take this week?

Come on ... this is right where you jump back on the DA bandwagon while everyones getting off.

You can't change your shtick now!

Don't you have another "Woe is us, everyone in this organization sucks, and it's going to take another five years to do anything but suck" article you need to get to?
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby Guest » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:22 pm

Swerb wrote:Its insane man .... people are just dying for this kid to fall apart.

I don't think that's what's happening.

However...the performance today SHOULD put a bit of a silencer on those people here wanting to drop a 22 year old 1st round draft pick who has never taken a snap in the NFL based upon 8 starts this year from someone that's about to be a RFA.

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:40 pm

Yeah, today's performance is exactly why you do not jump the gun yet on DA. Either way. I still say let the season play out, see how he finishes, how the team finishes, and assess things in the offseason.

Right now, I still am not sold on DA. Still need a larger sample size, as I think will be fulfilled (for the most part) by season's end.
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:49 pm

One more play from our playmaker QB is all it took...
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:53 pm

Pup wrote:One more play from our playmaker QB is all it took...

Oh Boy.

Just as an aside.... both you fellas have to have DA play very well to make your positions valid, correct?
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:37 pm

Yep........................

Only thing to do is give him a paper route on the way home , where he can practice long FG's and read up on playing defense to make up for his offensive inefficiencies.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby peeker643 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:08 pm

SoulDawg74 wrote:

Only thing to do is give him a paper route on the way home , where he can practice long FG's and read up on playing defense to make up for his offensive inefficiencies.

SoulDawg

I gotta tell ya SD, I had three paper routes when I was a kid and I never practiced long field goals or read up on playing defense when I was working those routes. I did occasionally double-collect on the elderly and the infirm, but only when I really needed the cash.

I like reading your stuff for entertainment purposes, but you have me running in circles on this one. Was it Dawson's fault, the defenses fault, or the referees fault?

Personally, I'm thinking there was too much fault to actually nail any one person.

I have couple thoughts though:
1. Romeo has been around too long to fuck up the two-timeouts/one challenge deal. Inexcusable.
2. Phil Dawson can't take a 15 yard running start and kick the ball from his 30 to the opponents 15 (55 yards) so to say I had any confidence in him hitting a FG from 52 yards would be a lie.
3. Spiking the ball on the 36 with 11 seconds left is all well and good if your kicker has a chance. But if you check back at point number two, I see nothing wrong with running a couple guys on 7 yard outs (send Braylon to the endzone with JJ running into that zone?) with 11 seconds left. If you miss, you get Phil on the field for his ridiculous attempt with 4 seconds left. If you get 7 yards, you make it that much more possible that the guy makes a 45 yarder.
4. You won't hear me pinning this one on DA. He took advantage of field position and opportunity early and made it count. He avoided the big mistake. He wasn't sharp in the 2nd half but a lot more experienced QBs than he have shit themselves in that place against that team. The kid has learned from evey experience so far. No reason to think that today's game, in that environment and under those circumstances, will not be something he calls upon the rest of this season in difficult situations.

Just my two cents.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:36 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SoulDawg

I gotta tell ya SD, I had three paper routes when I was a kid and I never practiced long field goals or read up on playing defense when I was working those routes. I did occasionally double-collect on the elderly and the infirm, but only when I really needed the cash.

I like reading your stuff for entertainment purposes, but you have me running in circles on this one. Was it Dawson's fault, the defenses fault, or the referees fault?

Personally, I'm thinking there was too much fault to actually nail any one person.

I have couple thoughts though:
1. Romeo has been around too long to fuck up the two-timeouts/one challenge deal. Inexcusable.
2. Phil Dawson can't take a 15 yard running start and kick the ball from his 30 to the opponents 15 (55 yards) so to say I had any confidence in him hitting a FG from 52 yards would be a lie.
3. Spiking the ball on the 36 with 11 seconds left is all well and good if your kicker has a chance. But if you check back at point number two, I see nothing wrong with running a couple guys on 7 yard outs (send Braylon to the endzone with JJ running into that zone?) with 11 seconds left. If you miss, you get Phil on the field for his ridiculous attempt with 4 seconds left. If you get 7 yards, you make it that much more possible that the guy makes a 45 yarder.
4. You won't hear me pinning this one on DA. He took advantage of field position and opportunity early and made it count. He avoided the big mistake. He wasn't sharp in the 2nd half but a lot more experienced QBs than he have shit themselves in that place against that team. The kid has learned from evey experience so far. No reason to think that today's game, in that environment and under those circumstances, will not be something he calls upon the rest of this season in difficult situations.

Just my two cents.

SD:

We had a job to do today Peek my man ,kick their stinkin asses and go home with the win .

We didn't get it done , collectively as a team , and as an organization we grew some today , but we still fell short of the mark when the countings done.

Hopefully the expierince will make us better able to handle these situations
in the future and make us hard ass men and coaches with sand in the craw to pull out just these type of last man standing contests.

The team played their balls off we had them sheelers within inches of shoving their Dicks in the dirt and their faces in their own shit , and we didn't get it done for lots of reasons .

Jamels fumble hurt , DA and the offense couldn't buy a first down and regain their rythm some of the second half play callin got conservative , The inbreds defense showed up while ours started slipping , and the refs remembered whose side they were on .

We just have one hell of a time beating that scum at home ever since they quit playig their games at Pitt University and got their own stadium.

We coulda made more plays hell you can look back on any victory or loss for that matter and say that, but I don't think you can fault one Browns player coach or fan for not giving them Muthas all we had today.

It was a team loss a disheartening hurdle to endure and overcome.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby bostondog » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:01 am

...drop a 22 year old 1st round draft pick who has never taken a snap in the NFL based upon 8 starts this year from someone that's about to be a RFA.

The way people are rooting for Anderson to fail, you'd swear Quinn was a perennial Probowler. Why people can't relax and root for the starter is beyond me. But there's definitely a contingent that would love to see the team tank just so Quinn could get a few snaps this season. It's sad.
bostondog

Unread postby HoodooMan » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:19 am

The way people are rooting for Anderson to fail, you'd swear Quinn was a perennial Probowler. Why people can't relax and root for the starter is beyond me. But there's definitely a contingent that would love to see the team tank just so Quinn could get a few snaps this season. It's sad.

You & Swerb share the same imagination?
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:41 am

Sorry for this. That was probably the most bitter post I have ever posted.

As to this whole idea that people are cheering against Derek Anderson. Hogwash. I have never cheered harder for any to succeed more in my life. I want him to be Tom Brady. I don't think he is, but trust me I am cheering for him to be. Anyone who thinks I hope DA sucks is as big of an idiot as a coach who uses 2 timeouts on one play.

I think what we learned yesterday is nothing new. This team needs a lot of help on the front 7. A LOT!

And my stance on how to improve that front 7 has not changed. You can call me out for hating on DA, but if you notice, the only way my fix works is for him to play well.

He was bad in the second half yesterday, but so was EVERYONE else. It shouldn't fall entirely on his shoulders, but a lot of it does because he is the QB. The same as when he posts numbers unseen around these parts at that position in a long time and he gets all the back slaps. When the team wins, the QB is a hero. When they lose, he is a goat.

It is simply time to get back on the horse and beat the shit out of the ratbirds. I am finished contemplating what to do with the QB situation next year.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby mattvan1 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:48 am

Peeker643 wrote: 3. Spiking the ball on the 36 with 11 seconds left is all well and good if your kicker has a chance. But if you check back at point number two, I see nothing wrong with running a couple guys on 7 yard outs (send Braylon to the endzone with JJ running into that zone?) with 11 seconds left. If you miss, you get Phil on the field for his ridiculous attempt with 4 seconds left. If you get 7 yards, you make it that much more possible that the guy makes a 45 yarder. Just my two cents.

The only issue is if they called a play, or even if they had two called before the completion to JJ and tried to set up to run it, no way the ball is snapped at 11 seconds. Spiking the ball means no formation, no pre snap reads, no audibles. Had DA tried to run an actual play, I think the ball is snapped at 6 seconds. That's cutting it a bit too close.
mattvan1

Unread postby Crash Davis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:32 pm

Regardless of whether there was enough time or not I don't think there was time to wait and decide if the officials would let an injury timeout occur for JJ. This quote from DA in today's PD on that particular play explains why:

"I had no other options," said Anderson. "He was sitting there yelling, 'I can't go, I can't go.'. . . The refs aren't going to give us that [an injury stoppage] there. He could barely stand up, but they're not going to give us that."
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:55 pm

This game showed us what DA must do in order to reach the next level as a quarterback. Pittsburgh did a great job in taking away his and our offenses biggest strength, getting vertical and making big plays. Anderson has be able to consistently hit the short and intermediate routes in order to be successful, when he was pressured yesterday and moving in the pocket he could not make those throws and it cost us the W. Sure there were other things that played a part, and it is by no means his fault, but as for an argument in this post I think he has to show development in this area before we can be sure he is in fact the real deal. I agree with others to play the rest of the year out with him to see how everything works, but each game gives more and more game film and I am anxious to see how D-coordinators will gameplan him going forward and more importantly how he will adjust.
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:18 pm

Nicastro13 wrote:This game showed us what DA must do in order to reach the next level as a quarterback. Pittsburgh did a great job in taking away his and our offenses biggest strength, getting vertical and making big plays. Anderson has be able to consistently hit the short and intermediate routes in order to be successful, when he was pressured yesterday and moving in the pocket he could not make those throws and it cost us the W. Sure there were other things that played a part, and it is by no means his fault, but as for an argument in this post I think he has to show development in this area before we can be sure he is in fact the real deal. I agree with others to play the rest of the year out with him to see how everything works, but each game gives more and more game film and I am anxious to see how D-coordinators will gameplan him going forward and more importantly how he will adjust.

SD:

Not making excuses for DA, butt when the inbred adjusted their defense and set everybody deep our answer on offense was to go to dump offs to Jamel instead of adjusting our response with shifty runners or receiveng threats like Wright or the ghost.

DA has to get better on the drag routes no doubt , butt when he was struggling we needed some two tight end sets giving him some big targets
to scrape up a first down and take the pressure off.

another trick which might have kept them bastards honest instead of just running into deep zones and flooding the routes would have been some designed draws and a few QB sneaks so Derek could get back in the flow.

I beleive to much emphasis was put on him at the halk not to make a mistake instead of telling him the score was zero zero and keep doing what we did to get us there.

He had a bad spell in the third , the team and coaches all played to protect a lead instead of putting the pedal to the metal, the inhibition and reluctance to take chances was never more apparent after Jamel fumbled .
Still the QB must set the tone , and in this regard during a 1 &1/2 quarter spell Derek and the offense regressed credit the inbred defense because they were getting paid too , but it was a m no mans land of having a lead and closing out a team in which the entire team stumbled sputtered and
stalled.

Defensively we let them convert critical third down after third down and made Toothlesfuck look like he was a senior playing againstt the 8th graders.

We have much more work to do as far as improving in all aspects of the team before this season is over, and if we do our job and keep improving instead of feeling sorry for ourselves and bitchin we'll get another shot at these Fucks after the season

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:26 pm

We have much more work to do as far as improving in all aspects of the team before this season is over, and if we do our job and keep improving instead of feeling sorry for ourselves and bitchin we'll get another shot at these Fucks after the season

SoulDawg

I totally agree, we cannot let off the gas, we need to come out gunning no matter if we're up by 15 or down by 15, with our D we cannot score enough. I also agree that adjustments needed to be made by chud, but still if the checkdown is there he has to hit it, simple as that, those few yards at a time add up, especially against the Steelers, Third and longs play right into their strength.
Nicastro13

Unread postby Prosecutor » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:42 pm

The commentators mentioned that DA told them he is still learning to check down and dump the ball off short when the deeper routes are doubled. That was really obvious yesterday. DA looks very uncomfortable on those short crossing routes. For example, on the first play of the final drive he had Braylon wide open on a delayed crossing route that would have picked up 8-10 yards if he made an accurate throw. That extra yardage would have been all Dawson needed to send the game into OT. DA missed a lot of those kinds of throws during the game.

Let's see if DA improves his ability to check down and hit the short man over the next seven games. If he can, he'll be a heck of a QB. I expect teams will watch the Steeler film and employ the same schemes. DA needs to be able to expand his game as the defenses adjust to what he is doing.

He also needs a better target than Jamal Lewis, who has little ability to get away from the defender after making the catch. I agree with SD on this; we should have used Wright or Harrison on those pass routes.

The Steelers definitely took DA out of his comfort zone and forced him to throw passes he's not good at. Whether he can improve his ability to make the short throws accurately and on time will go a long way in deciding whether the Browns go with him or trade him.
Prosecutor
Plutonian Outliers

Unread postby Crash Davis » Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:48 pm

Two things I want to see that we did not see much of if at all yesterday and that is:

1) More screen passes to get Jamal and Wright and maybe even Harrison out in space if the middle of the field isn't open

2) Find away to get Cribbs involved in the offense. With Braylon, K2, JJ and Cribbs somebody's going to be open and also we could actually run gadget plays with success if Cribbs is out there more since they won't know when exactly its coming. Every time we've run one of those it seems like its the only time Cribbs is in the game on offense.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby Spin » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:01 pm

At this point, I want to see Brady play. Maybe for the 2nd quarter, like the Zips do, but let's see him now.

Anderson looks good, I thinki it's because grantham has made a system that plays to his strengths. But the elite teams are able to adjust and shut him down.

I wanna see Brady, and if he's half the player everyone says, we need to move Derrick for some high draft picks while his stock is up.

usually I'm all for havinbg 2 quality QB's, but with this line, the Steelers never sacked us yesterday.

we have the first half of our foundation, the O Line, now let's get some picks and work on the second half. The defensive front 7.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:56 pm

[Anderson looks good, I thinki it's because grantham has made a system that plays to his strengths. But the elite teams are able to adjust and shut him down.]

Chud?
Nicastro13

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:38 pm

Spin wrote:At this point, I want to see Brady play. Maybe for the 2nd quarter, like the Zips do, but let's see him now.

Anderson looks good, I thinki it's because grantham has made a system that plays to his strengths. But the elite teams are able to adjust and shut him down.

I wanna see Brady, and if he's half the player everyone says, we need to move Derrick for some high draft picks while his stock is up.

usually I'm all for havinbg 2 quality QB's, but with this line, the Steelers never sacked us yesterday.

we have the first half of our foundation, the O Line, now let's get some picks and work on the second half. The defensive front 7.

SD:

The nintendo kiddie plug and play switch QB's in themiddle of the game for no good reason forum is this way __________>

Also for anymore twelve year olds posting Grantham is the defensive coordinator .

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby Spin » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:21 pm

Hardee harr harr. Mark that one up to not enough coffee. I wish I was only 12. Life would be so much simpler...

If you guys think that:

#1 we are a contending team this year, capable of getting past New England, Indianapolis, and Pittsburgh,

and #2 Derrick Anderson is a Super Bowl quarterback,

then I say we let Quinn gather dust and cobwebs all year. I just personally think IMO that neither is true.

I really doubt we are risking a shot at the Super Bowl by playing Quinn a few series against dynasties like the Jets and the 49'ers.
Spin

Unread postby pup » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:31 pm

Spin wrote:Hardee harr harr. Mark that one up to not enough coffee. I wish I was only 12. Life would be so much simpler...

If you guys think that:

#1 we are a contending team this year, capable of getting past New England, Indianapolis, and Pittsburgh,

and #2 Derrick Anderson is a Super Bowl quarterback,

then I say we let Quinn gather dust and cobwebs all year. I just personally think IMO that neither is true.

I really doubt we are risking a shot at the Super Bowl by playing Quinn a few series against dynasties like the Jets and the 49'ers.

I am one of the biggest pushers of Quinn.

Still, there is no way you start messing with this offense during the season. It is not about risking a shot at the Super Bowl. It is more about building a winning attitude. You don't do that by messing with the signal caller. Unless DA completely implodes (this does not mean I am wishing for it, so please don't say that I am), Brady does exactly what he has done all year.

If we are up 56-14 with 5 minutes left, give him some snaps. In the 2nd quarter? No way.

The few snaps that he may get will do nothing for him in the future.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby bostondog » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:26 pm

Keeping Anderson isn't about playing in the Super Bowl, it's about the team being relevant. There's only one team with a winning record on the rest of the schedule:

Ravens 4-5
Texans 4-5
Cardinals 4-5
Jets 1-8
Bills 5-4
Bengals 3-6
49ers 2-6

The Browns have a decent shot at making the playoffs and that's good for a lot of reasons. It helps us attract free agents, and if Anderson ultimately leaves, the Browns have a better shot at getting compensated.

Quinn only plays if Anderson is playing awful or gets hurt. In either of those scenarios, the Browns lose because teams are a lot less likely to want to trade for him or give up draft picks to get him. In the long-term, good play by Anderson benefits the Browns a lot more than getting a few snaps for Quinn this year.
bostondog

Unread postby Spin » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:53 pm

I'm impatient, I want to steer toward a Super Bowl. If you can't do it, let's find soneone who can.

Since 1964 Cleveland teams have made 38 playoff appearances (16 by the Browns), 3 times making it to the World Series/NBA Finals. What do we have to show for it, other than scars?

Just making it is getting old. And so am I, watching these teams.
Spin

Unread postby Spin » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:18 pm

It's nothing against DA either, in fact I'm starting him on my fantasy team ahead of Peyton Manning and Donovan McNab. His stats are better and he has a much easier schedule.

I just wanna see if BQ is better against a playoff quality pressing defense.
Spin

Unread postby bostondog » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:37 pm

This just isn't a Super Bowl team at the moment. The defense is just too porous and playing Quinn won't change that.
bostondog

Unread postby jfiling » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:56 pm

bostondog,

I agree 100% with you, DA is the quarterback for the rest of the season. Anyone stating otherwise is being kinda foolish.

Related: I heard that the Browns are working on a multi-year contract with DA. Quinn's contract is heavily incentive-laden, which means he could be essentially a $700,000 per year backup until such time as he has to take the field for an extended time.

While I disagree with his attitude (and grammar, spelling, and other related items relating to command of the language), I'm almost down with SoulDawg in wanting to keep DA and Quinn.

I'm just wondering how quickly we can rebuild the defensive front seven, because I want a Super Bowl next year.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Unread postby bostondog » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:45 pm

I heard that the Browns are working on a multi-year contract with DA.

That's kind of surprising to me. Hard to believe Anderson's agent would pass up the opportunity to test the waters. I guess it's hard to tell exactly how serious any of the parties are about getting the deal done, so no harm in chatting I guess.
bostondog

Unread postby Spin » Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:45 am

I realize there are other areas we need to build (not rebuild, BUILD) tocontend.

And until this week I was a huge supported of letting DA take every snap.

But I just saw some things in this game that l;ead me to think that he is an adequate QB, better than adequate when the system is built around him, but too inconsistent and too shakable for big games. Just like everybody scouted him at Oregon State.

We spent a #1 and a #2 on Quinn and we're not even going to look at him because Anderson is adequate?

Adequate's not good enough. The Indians and the Cavs make a lot of money with adequate. It's not good enough for me anymore.

Oh well, arguing opinions is pointless. we're not going to change anyone's minds, and it's not going to change what actually happens. BA will look great against the teams we're going to face and everyone will think he's the second coming. And I hope they're right and i'm wrong.

I'm glad we're making progress. it would be great to make the playoffs. but I want a title so bad I can taste it, and I want to see a Cleveland team preparing for that.
Spin

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:09 am

bostondog wrote:
I heard that the Browns are working on a multi-year contract with DA.

That's kind of surprising to me. Hard to believe Anderson's agent would pass up the opportunity to test the waters. I guess it's hard to tell exactly how serious any of the parties are about getting the deal done, so no harm in chatting I guess.

SD:

When you make $450,000 NFL minimum and your resume was just refreshed in August because you didn't know how the QB competition was gonna work out an 8 figuire bonus and a big fat deal with the chance to continue as the starter with the same guys you've finally experienced success with would be very flattering as well as desirable if your a realist and understand just how difficult it is t repeat success on another roster with a different bunch of guys .

Having come from the rats who had no passing weapons other than Heap , Anderson is like a kid in Candy land with the likes of Braylon Kellen and Joe moreover they're all blowing up together so the comraderie and espri de corp aspect of that can't be understated .

Unlike Jerry Jones who could have signed Romo for less last year especially after that FG disaster he put him on front street and made him prove it again , Phil is correctly approaching a kid now gratefull for his shot and enjoying his new found success , but still worried in a flash the dream could be over and he wakes up empty handed.

You offer him a bonus twice what Quinn got and treat him like a franchise pick and you'll keep a Brady type QBin the fact he will take less money to have a situation to his liking a team committed to win and committed to him .

If you wait and arrogantly leave him dangling other teams and their agents fill his head with delusions of granduer and you'll end up over paying or eventaully losing him.

Its just smart bidness to pursue this now and get it done if you can.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby bostondog » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:29 am

Not making excuses for DA, butt when the inbred adjusted their defense and set everybody deep our answer on offense was to go to dump offs to Jamel instead of adjusting our response with shifty runners or receiveng threats like Wright or the ghost.

Until Anderson signs for a hometown discount, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Most pros are looking to get paid. This is especially true in a brutal sport like football with no guaranteed contracts. I absolutely wouldn’t blame him for trying to squeeze out every last dime he can.

So although the Browns young talent is probably a factor in his decision, it’s a bit early to nominate him for Sainthood. The Benjamins still play a leading role here.
bostondog

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL