Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

still need a QB

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

still need a QB

Unread postby BOOGIE NITES » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:24 pm

Fry is NOT an NFL Starting quarterback......3rd string at best. Why am I the only one that thinks that ?....what ever happened to Josh Harris ?
BOOGIE NITES

Unread postby Guest » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:48 pm

Arena league
Yeah, he's the answer

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:52 pm

The Browns, unfortunately, are stuck with Frye/Dilfer. There is not much available for trade or in FA.....and we aren't about to invest a high draft pick in a QB. So, we are going to have to get by with what we have.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Re: still need a QB

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:22 am

BOOGIE NITES wrote:Fry is NOT an NFL Starting quarterback......3rd string at best. Why am I the only one that thinks that ?....

1) You aren't, necessarily, but ...
2) ... your support for this is not terribly compelling.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby SOBO » Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:14 am

Frye is third string at best, and yet you wonder where Josh Harris is in the same breath?

:roll:
SOBO
NFL Draft Guru

Too early

Unread postby bostondog » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:57 am

Frye is certainly not Montana, but it's too early to throw him under the bus. He was a rookie after all, and they do need time to develop. Another year of experience, a full training camp to prepare as the starter, and he could be much better.

I'm not really convinced we need someone putting up Peyton Manning type numbers to win anyway.
bostondog

fry

Unread postby BOOGIE NITES » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:35 am

I threw out Josh Harris's name because I know some members here are BGSU fans ( Canitia ). Anyways, there are a few QB's in the draft that would be interesting ( Brodie - Alabama ).
BOOGIE NITES

Re: fry

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:45 am

BOOGIE NITES wrote:I threw out Josh Harris's name because I know some members here are BGSU fans ( Canitia ). Anyways, there are a few QB's in the draft that would be interesting ( Brodie - Alabama ).

Fascinating.

So ... back to the original point:
BOOGIE NITES wrote:Fry is NOT an NFL Starting quarterback......3rd string at best.

Are you planning on supporting this contention any time soon?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:02 pm

While the position is still an overall question mark, I am not losing any sleep at night over the Dilfer/Frye tandem at QB.

The Browns will bring in another somewhat viable option at QB as well at some point here, most likely a vet.

Adding Bentley to this line, and the first dependable reciever this city has seen since the early 90's will help. As will (knock on wood) having talented options like Braylon and KW2.

Production from the QB position is very much dependant on the talent surrounding your QB. Last year we added a running game by bringing on Droughns, Andruzzi, Coleman. No Braylon, no KW2 all year though.

How terrible the Browns were in the red zone tainted some real offensive advancements last year. Every one of their offensive FA additions was geared towards improving that red zone offense. There were many games last year where the Browns moved the ball well, but just couldn't score.

Am I the only one that liked what I saw from Dilfer last year when he was protected and healthy? The Browns were approached several times about him for teams looking for a QB. I would venture to say there are 7-8 teams that would like to add Dilfer as a starter. The Browns wisely declined.

Frye is still a question. I saw alot of things I liked ... but you just never know. I know the Browns are saying it's an open competition between Dilfer and Frye ... but I hope they mean it.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jd jr » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:05 pm

what about joey harrington?
jd jr

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:13 pm

jd jr wrote:what about joey harrington?

I doubt they could sell Harrington on coming here, simply from the standpoint that they could not even promise him a backup job.

Harrington is going to latch on with a team where he feels he can get back on the field as soon as possible in my view. Maybe a team like Chicago, or even Miami ... who has Culpepper set to maybe miss the start of the season.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Birdman » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:13 pm

Frye may not be the answer but now is not the time to change. The Browns will be a mediocre team at best this year. All they need back there is someone who won't turn the ball over. I expect them to run the ball 60% of the time this year. I say give him a full year and see what happens. If there is no improvement then go out and get someone else.
Birdman
bullseyetcnaz.com

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL