Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Wonderlic Test and Vince Young

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Wonderlic Test and Vince Young

Unread postby yargs7 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:23 pm

If this isn't the most assanine example of how overboard NFL personnel people have gone in draft preparations I don't know what is! I can't believe they actually put any stock in these test scores. To think that Vince Young's stock may have dropped because of a less than mediocre score is absurd. I will agree that his status was a little inflated after his Rose Bowl performance, but give the guy a break. He performed nearly flawlessly in the biggest stage in college football, and his athletic prowess is obvious to even the most casual football fans. I just feel bad for the kid because his only question mark was his throwing ability coming into this season and he proved he is more than capable. These same idiots that are doubting VY are the same ones who thought Mike Vick was the greatest thing to hit the NFL since the forward pass! NEWSFLASH...VICK SUCKS! I am not saying that Young is a lock to be a great QB. I am just saying that Vince Young is a victim of how moronic people can be in regard to the Draft. I dare some general manager to draft Jay Cutler over Young. Then, a year later, I will laugh at them when they are making my MTO at Sheetz
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby yogi » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:54 pm

Well, I think I see this a bit differently.

I'd prefer a cerebral type QB, that can read a complicated defense and audible into a play that can beat it.

VY is being considered a top 5 pick, to be in that type company and a QB to boot he will be asking for some major coin. If I'm the GM, I'd like to make sure that this stuff (reding NFL defenses designed by people like Belichick) isn't over his head.

Scoring a 16 on a test is a red flag.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby TatDawg » Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:13 pm

I'm not real sure about the wonderlic, but I would want some kind of IQ test. To many dollars to put up for someone who may not be smart enough to do the job they were drafted for.

I also think V.Y. is way over rated. I think he will be a Tony Banks type career backup. I would love to be wrong, but that is what I see.
TatDawg

Unread postby yargs7 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:23 pm

You definitely have to have brains to run a pro offense and read pro defenses, but their is a big difference between football smarts and plain old intelligence. Obviously the ideal QB has great physical ability AND intelligence. My point was, if you want to see how smart a QB is...watch the films. Smart players make good decisions. Some IQ test isn't going to tell you how a QB might react to a zone blitz or shifting safeties at the line of scrimmage. As far as a cerebral QB? Look at Craig Krenzel. He is a genius, but will never be more than a 3rd stringer in the NFL.

BTW- I love Krenzel. He was awesome at OSU and is a National Champ. I needed an example, sorry Craig.
"You win with people"

-W.W. "Woody" Hayes
yargs7
College Football Nut

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:46 pm

There's a lot of great football players that are as dumb as rocks. And they can't measure football IQ with the Wonderlic. This kid went into Columbus and won, and had potentially the greatest big game performance in college football history against a USC team with about 30 future NFL players.

However, it's more important to me in my QB. Especially if you are investing tens of millions of dollars in one with a very high draft pick.

That said, Marino and McNair both got 15s on the Wonderlic. But in the same breath, there haven't been too many stupid Pro Bowl QBs in my lifetime. And as high as VY will get taken, he's gotta be a Pro Bowl guy.

He won't fall far. He's incredibly talented.

But so is Michael Vick. Do you take him top 3 today, knowing what you know now? I don't ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:46 pm

Vince Young will not be a good pro QB in my eyes.
He will be a bigger bust than Couch.

Unread postby furls » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:12 pm

Vince Young will not be a good pro QB in my eyes.
He will be a bigger bust than Couch.

Wow, that is a bold statement. Tim Couch is about as a big a bust as it is possible to be. He is in the Ryan Leaf/Todd Marijuanovich league.

I will reserve judgement until i see what team he ends up on. If it is the Titans, I think he will have a shot. If it is the Saints, well.... he will be a faster less effective version of Aaron Brooks, in an offense without a real scheme or a genius coordinator.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL