Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

The Arena Bowl

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

The Arena Bowl

Unread postby intenso » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:49 pm

Anybody care? Columbus Destroyers will represent the National Conference. They were 7-9 this season, the 6 seed, and won three games on the road in the playoffs including beating the #1 and #2 seeds.

They will play the winner of the San Jose/Chicago game going on right now.
intenso
alt.total.loser

Unread postby furls » Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:58 pm

I didn't used to hate the AFL, but now I do because I feel like ESPN has been a bit dishonest in trying to make a return on their investment in the league.

I wish the players the best, but I am a bit sickened every time I see an AFL highlight in the days top 10 plays. I am pretty sure we all know why the AFL will get a couple of plays in the top ten with alarming frequency.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:08 am

Similiar to when they'd spend 10 minutes ripping and poking fun of the XFL, and then devote the next 20 minutes of the show pimping the X games with skateboard tricks and street luge because they sponsored them.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:51 am

It's the nature of the beast, unfortunately. The AFL as a whole is fun to watch. They scored a deal with ESPN and ESPN pimps it hard. Prepare for the exact same with MLS. We're going to get Beckham shoved down our throats even though so few people like soccer. Well, ratings are usually above hockey's, so at least it's more popular than hockey around the bulk of the country.

I don't blame the AFL for ESPN's sins. They did what they had to do to expand their audience. It's ESPN that has sold its soul and lost all journalistic integrity.

It probably also helps that I rarely watch ESPN. I usually only watch when the Tribe's on or if I want to catch an Arena League game. The Tampa Bay Storm are often on other channels here locally, so I catch that usually instead of anything on ESPN. I never watch Sportscenter, Baseball Tonight, or NFL Live anymore. I don't have the time for those bafoons. I'll occasionally watch Jay Crawford on Cold Pizza because I like Jay and know the guy. He worked with my dad at ABC-28 in Tampa before landing the ESPN gig. He's an Ohio boy through-and-through too. Went to BGSU and loves the C-Town teams.

There's not a lot good on ESPN anymore. Someone could do well to launch a true competing national network. It'd be tough at first because ESPN has so much. I guess Vs. is trying to do that but they aren't doing it well.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jul 15, 2007 8:28 am

I have been watching the games and I like it.
Different game but still very exciting.
I would rather watch an AFL game then sit and watch an entire MLB game.

Unread postby paddio » Sun Jul 15, 2007 12:30 pm

I have been watching as well....it's been fun. GO DESTROYERS!!!
paddio

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL