Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Good off season piece by Mary Kay today

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Good off season piece by Mary Kay today

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 24, 2007 4:48 pm

Love to get some banter goin' around the horn. Thoughts?

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1182673895106490.xml&coll=2

CLEVELAND BROWNS
Trouble looms in signing Thomas
Sunday, June 24, 2007Mary Kay CabotPlain Dealer Reporter

- I think she's hyping the state of the Joe Tomas situation personally. We'll see. I don't see any particular red flags....

QB race:

Savage said the quarterback competition should be a two-man race by the end of the first preseason game, Aug. 11.

"It should be whittled down by then through holdout, injury or performance," said Savage. "We have enough reps to get two quarterbacks ready, but not three or four."

Savage said Charlie Frye's experience would've put him ahead at this point if not for the new offense. "It's leveled the playing field and Charlie's not the prettiest practice player," said Savage. "But when the games get under way, he seems to rise to the occasion."

He said Derek Anderson looked better in minicamp be- cause of his height and strong arm. There is some sentiment in the organization that if the season began today, Anderson would be the starter. But Frye can win the job with stellar preseason games.

"The wild card is Brady Quinn," said Savage. "If he's there at the beginning, he'll be right in the mix."

Savage said Quinn can win the job if he gets in on time.

"He's a quick learner and he showed improvement from his first day out there," said Savage. "People keep harping on his three interceptions in the first practice, but he's come a long way."

The PD is really out there in the DA camp, isn't it? Both Grossi and Mary Kay are all over the QB race with DA out front.

On LeCharles....
what is so important about 7 / 1 ? Is this just LCB pushing the team back & back? Are there real medical milestones the program is working? Hmm...

Bentley update:

Savage said coach Romeo Crennel spoke recently with LeCharles Bentley "and he feels pretty good with where he is right now," said Savage. "After July 1, we'll know a little more about where that stands."

Meanwhile, Baxter continues to work miracles. Gonna be nice depth is we hit troubles like last year:

Baxter outlook:

Savage said he's been amazed by Gary Baxter's progress and wouldn't be surprised if he plays this season.

"Maybe he'll start the season on [the physically unable to perform list] and then be able to play six weeks into the season," said Savage.
Savage said it's possible Baxter could play nickel back or safety. "Gary does have the versatility to do any of those things," said Savage. "If he can make it back, I think he can help us in some way, shape or form."

To reach this Plain Dealer reporter:

mcabot@plaind.com, 216-999-4670
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

DA Baracas

Unread postby rawdawgexpress » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:29 am

From PD:

Savage said Charlie Frye's experience would've put him ahead at this point if not for the new offense. "It's leveled the playing field and Charlie's not the prettiest practice player," said Savage. "But when the games get under way, he seems to rise to the occasion."

rawdawg:

Too funny. How bad must Frye be in practice so that Savage can say in games that he "rises to the occasion".

"Not the prettiest", or 12 beers fugly?
People call it 'vision.' I call it running away.
-Josh Cribbs
rawdawgexpress

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:00 pm

It's been reported for a while that Frye is not a pretty practice player. I think I've read Pluto mentioning it on numerous occasions.

I think Frye is done here if Quinn signs on time. He needs a fresh start somewhere else.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL