Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

qb update from mini camp

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

qb update from mini camp

Unread postby jb » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:48 pm

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2007/06/grantham_gets_twoyear_extensio.html

Minicamp ended with Derek Anderson running the first-team offense. He declined to read anything into that. But Anderson clearly was the most impressive of the three competitors for the starting job.

-- Tony Grossi

Hmmmmmmmmmm..........
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:15 am

I don't believe Chaz will make this team.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:16 am

Who would the 3rd QB be then? (Not to mention the fact that Brady will be into camp late)

Frankly I'm fine with DA as the starter, at this point I just don't want Brady out there until at least mid-season. Especially after the expected contract holdout...
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:24 am

I have no basis for my comment other than, get this, a "gut" feeling.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:25 am

noles1 wrote:Who would the 3rd QB be then? (Not to mention the fact that Brady will be into camp late)

Frankly I'm fine with DA as the starter, at this point I just don't want Brady out there until at least mid-season. Especially after the expected contract holdout...

Dorsey, They resigned him to a new deal and is a long time friend of Chuds
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby mistero » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:14 pm

I think Frye will dealt to the first team struck by QB injuries in August. For cheap, as in 7th rounder cheap.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:29 pm

Fair enough with Dorsey. Unfortunately I've seen too few accounts about how pathetic his arm is to not expect him to be the odd man out.
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:58 pm

noles1 wrote:Fair enough with Dorsey. Unfortunately I've seen too few accounts about how pathetic his arm is to not expect him to be the odd man out.

The question becomes, though, who do you want as your back-up. We already know Quinn will most likely be number two. Do you want an intelligent guy, who might be able to assist with the offense and read schemes, (like many good career back-ups do) or a guy, who twenty + games into his career can't stop doing bone-headed things in the red zone. I think a third stringer who is sharp but has a noodle arm will trump a more physically gifted but dimmer between the ears player.

That's my hunch, anyway.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:20 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:
noles1 wrote:Fair enough with Dorsey. Unfortunately I've seen too few accounts about how pathetic his arm is to not expect him to be the odd man out.

The question becomes, though, who do you want as your back-up. We already know Quinn will most likely be number two. Do you want an intelligent guy, who might be able to assist with the offense and read schemes, (like many good career back-ups do) or a guy, who twenty + games into his career can't stop doing bone-headed things in the red zone. I think a third stringer who is sharp but has a noodle arm will trump a more physically gifted but dimmer between the ears player.

That's my hunch, anyway.

Put me in the brains over physical cam on this one. DA or Chas win the job, Quinn interns, and Dorsey holds the clipboard and talks Quinn through every game. Unless a veteran, intelligent QB becomes available instead of Dorsey.

The loser of the Frys/Anderson Battle....buh-bye.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:10 am

Lead Pipe wrote:I have no basis for my comment other than, get this, a "gut" feeling.

- sincerely,
Butch Davis
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Starting Quarterback

Unread postby ramllov » Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:32 am

I read the final articles on mini camp. It is know big deal. The same comments were made at the start of the OTAs as they were said at the end.

When the are in shirts and skirts, without a pass rush and full equipment, they biggest guy with the strongest arm is going to look the best.

So, what is new with that comment is it is made in May or in the middle of June.

If I read the Browns press conference notes correctly, the offense looked terrible during the OTAs and mini-camp. The 3-4 defensive scheme is in it's third year. So, no offensive player was making any major impact. We already knew that Derek Anderson had the best arm. That was documented in 2006. What is still consistent is that he like all the QBs in training is that they are inconsistent.

The problem with Derek Anderson is he is like the Statute of Liberty, he stays in one place. If this is going to be a high tempo, shifts and pre-snap movements disguise the offense. The ability of the QB to move is a good part of this aggressive offensive scheme.

Now this last paragraph is not a direct quote, but it is a pretty accurate paraphrase. Where in that definition or description does it say an immobile quarterback, who was inconsistent in college as well as in the NFL is the sure thing for the 2007 Cleveland Browns.

Now if he turns out to be the guy and the other 30 to 40 percent of the offensive scheme can be tailored to his skill set and the Browns are successful, I am all for it.

Going back to Brady Quinn. It is not a matter if he will start or when he will start. He is a lock to start in 2008. If he signs prior to the start of camp, he probably has a 30/70 per cent chance of starting.

A recent comment by the offensive coordinator CHUD, indicated they wanted one QB for the full season.

Charlie Frye has the equivalent of starting one full NFL season plus a few games and coming off the bench in a few others. This is his third professional off season with the Browns with a brand new offense.

If he had a leg up, I doubt if he has it any more. I don't believe Crennel or Chud were impressed with any QB in the OTA's or mini-camp.

They all will be in the mix, especially, if Brady Quinn signs prior to the start of camp. If he does not and hold out it will be between Anderson and Frye. They probably will elect the starter after the second preseason game.

So the QB competition will go against Kansas City and Detroit. Denver and Chicago, will provide some interesting competition to the new starter.
Denver might have one of the two best secondaries in the NFL and Chicago is definitely between top 5 to to 10 if not better.

They sell newspapers so this is the current topic. I would say it is still wide open. They have done nothing in pads, and that is when they are under fire. Then it counts and then we will know.
I enjoy this stuff.
ramllov

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL