Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Dolphins Vets Not Happy About Ginn Pick

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Dolphins Vets Not Happy About Ginn Pick

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:57 am

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... ef=writers

... well, let veteran defensive tackle Vonnie Holliday tell it: "With the ninth pick they took a guy who is basically a kick returner -- a hurt kick returner. Here were are in June, and he hasn't been in camp yet. Maybe he'll come in eventually and become a better route-runner and make some plays. But I couldn't believe it then, and I can't believe it now."

"You notice the commissioner kind of paused before he read the name," Taylor says. "Like even he couldn't believe it."

Neither could one prominent NFL coach with whom I spoke Wednesday. "I was really surprised," he said. " Really surprised. That's a hit-or-miss pick, at No. 9, because the foot could really be an issue."
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:02 am

This is too bad for Ginn.....he is going into a situation where he'll never please the fans. He won't be a Dolphin long.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby bw » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:47 am

Consigliere wrote:This is too bad for Ginn.....he is going into a situation where he'll never please the fans. He won't be a Dolphin long.

I disagree. Winning cures................. Everything. If the Dullfans start winning and they get into the playoffs they won't even remember who Brady Quinn is.

The Dullfans are starting to get a little long in the tooth. They've got about two years left before they have to start to re-build. This year and next, that's it.

New coach, a very demanding owner with a win-now attitude and it adds up to passing on a QB that will take at least year to develop.

Keep in mind, they had Trent Green 'signed' before the draft, too. All it took was KC to stop playing dog-in-the-manger.

Another reason. The Dullfans probably didn't scout BQ all that well. And when they saw him falling it scared them off. They figured he'd be long gone before they picked and didn't scout him, Calvin, Jamarcus, Joe Thomas or a couple others all that well. You only have so many plyers you can scout in the time given. You gotta concentrate on the ones you think might be there. And the Dullfans had no intention of trading up for anyone, so they didn't bother scouting the top 5-6 players.
bw

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:58 am

Oh, I agree....winning does make people have short memories and it offers a cure for the time being.

But, as you laid out, the Dolphins appear to be heading in the wrong direction....which means, they could be in for some rough seasons ahead. Which will make Ginn even more scrutinized.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Jun 09, 2007 11:31 am

Ted has a way of "winning over" fans. I think he'll do fine. He will be of course heavily scrutinized as all 1st rounders should be, and nobody knows what planet the "phins" are getting their signals from.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

It was a funny day.

Unread postby ramllov » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:04 am

I was a soccer Dad on Friday.

Bernie Kosar was on the radio for four hours as a co-host in the Fort Lauderdale, Miami AM market. He is not a regular in the summer as during the season and during the draft.

He discussed the Dolphins, Quinn and others.

He thought short term Miami had it over the Browns in QBs. Trent Green as a starter is pretty good. My thoughts, only if he is healhty. They have a veteran defense, so they have to win now.

Bernie mentioned, long term, the Browns quarterback position is better.

He was asked about Beck, Miami's second round, he indicated he did not see him play enough. He is holding his opinion until he plays.

The radio show had great comments and quotes about so many players on the Dolphins Quinn was the number one choice.

WE are in the middle of our second round on our BIDL II keeper draft and Ginn is still on the board. I believe five or six receivers have already been picked in the first 17 selections.

What is Ginn going to do for the Miami Dolphins this year? I don't know.

Trent Green, has Booker and Chambers. Ginn as the second or third wide receiver in his rookie year should do well. They will put pressure on him as the first round choice in the draft.

I was surprised they cut their TE. So a new TE will start. They have a running game. There offensive line is poor. It will be interesting to see have they play this year.

It will be interesting October 14th. We will see it live at CLeveland Stadium.
I enjoy this stuff.
ramllov

Unread postby jb » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:03 am

The Dullfans are starting to get a little long in the tooth. They've got about two years left before they have to start to re-build. This year and next, that's it.

Ironic, given the concept that they suck and are going nowhere.

Nick Saban: Sooper Genius.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Get_Wedge_Out_NOW! » Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:19 am

JB wrote:

Ironic, given the concept that they suck and are going nowhere.

Nick Saban: Sooper Genius.

dolphins always pick dum ass picks.....they passed on brees too when he was available in the draft.

speaking of teams going no where, check out the browns.......4-12 agian?
Get_Wedge_Out_NOW!
Angry and Irrational

Ted Ginn and the Miami Dolphins

Unread postby ramllov » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:40 am

The have a terrible team. Saban did them no favors. They have had terrible drafts for the past 7 to 8 years. It sounds like the Cleveland Browns.

They have a coaching staff and they have some high quality veterans returning.

They have four seasoned veterans on defense. Jason Taylor, DE, all-world, probably two to three good years left then ok for another one or two.

Zack Thomas, MLB, all-pro, 12 year player, again, two to three years and maybe another.

Vonnie Holliday, DT, 10 year pro, just signed a big dollar extension. He is good for2 to 3 years, plus another one or two.

Joey Porter, OLB, 9 year pro. Just signed him. I doubt he will do that great, but they must have seen something. Say he starts another two to three years.

New Blood on the defensive line, Matt Roth, DE starting this year, he ws a second round choice in 2005. He played in all 16 games and had no starts.

LBs, Channing Crowder, third pick in 2005, started 14 games and played in 16. Second leading tackler, needs to work on his pass coverage.

There is more young talent in the secondary. However, the secondary is the weakness and it needs to develop. The additional pass rush from Joey Porter, will help.

The defense has two to three years to develop young players, trades and pick up free agents. This team today is at least a top 10 defense, it probably fits about 7th in the 32 rankings.

The offense, they have skilled players, or play makers. The offensive line is a big question.

Vernon Carey, LT, never played the position in the NFL consistently, did play RT for the past two years and did pretty good toward the end of 2006. He was a first round choice in 2004, from the U of Miami.

Right Tackle is not a lock, but they list our buddy L.J. Shelton, he played LT and guard in the past. He is a nine year pro. Big boy.

Samson Satele, rookie center/guard. He looks like the starting center. He has had an impressive camp.

Chris Liwienski, RG, 80 starts, will be the starting RG.

Rex Hadnot, two year starter, LG.

Some backup talent to develop.

Hudson Houck is in his third year here, he is a very good offensive line coach. He has his work cut out for him.

Trent Green, QB, if healthy and recovered from his injury in 2006, he will start. He has a running game and an excellent runner out of the backfield with Lorenzo Booker. Speed and more Speed. Ronnie Brown is a very good running back, second pick in the 2005 draft.

Wide receivers, starters Chambers and Booker. They really like Booker. He is starting to look like he did prior to being a free agent acquisition from Chicago a few years ago. Chambers had a geat season in 2005, no QB in 2006, bad results. He is still a top 20 starting WR in the NFL.

Ted Ginn, Jr., will probably be the third or fourth WR.

David Martin is a seven year TE. He is known for his pass receiving. So, for Cam Cameron and Trent Green, he looks good.

Yeah, someone said 4 - 12. I don't know they don't look that bad with a pro-bowl QB. It looks kind of like the Raven last year, once they got a veteran QB.
I enjoy this stuff.
ramllov

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL