Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Brady Quinn Holdout?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Brady Quinn Holdout?

Unread postby bruce8100 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:52 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=r ... pe=fantasy

I really hope this doesn't turn into another Phillip Rivers saga where he feels he should be paid according to the pick he was projected to go and not where he actually did. Should he have been picked a lot higher? Of course, but he wasn't and that's just the way it is. If he wants to play for the Browns so bad, he needs to avoid a holdout or he'll get so far behind you can forget about playing until midseason.

It's extremely important for rookies to get to camp on time. Look at our past first round picks. The only one who didn't hold out since Courtney Brown in 2000 was Kamerion Wimbley and not surprisingly he was ready to go by Day 1 while everyone else needed time to catch up.
bruce8100

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:13 pm

This is a holdout waiting to happen.

No way Quinn takes anywhere near #22 money. And given the fact the Browns most likely want to let Quinn sit and watch for a year, I can't see any way they pay him anything more than like #19-#20 money.

I'd be shocked if this kid is in uni for the 1st preseason game.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:17 pm

They need to find a common ground, like pay him #10-15 money. I definitely see Quinn's side here, and also the Browns side. Gonna need to meet half way on this one.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:37 pm

I do not see Quinn's side at all. You got picked #22, therefore you get paid like the #22 pick. Just because some people had you ranked higher going into the draft, that means nothing. Quit being a baby, and get your ass into camp. All we heard was how much you wanted to be a Cleveland Brown, well here is your chance.

So if we would have taken him #3, would he be demanding #1 money?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:00 pm

The Quinn camp will be sure to throw Phil Savage's comments back in his face about trying to deal back into the first round starting with about the 12th pick.

Because of those statements alone, I see absolutely no chance of Quinn getting #22 money.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:10 pm

The Quinn camp will be sure to throw Phil Savage's comments back in his face about trying to deal back into the first round starting with about the 12th pick.

They will just return with Quinn wasn't good enough to give up what was needed to get to 12, so he obviously wasn't worth a 12 to us either.

It was not until #22 was the trade value good enough to make the deal.

Because of those statements alone, I see absolutely no chance of Quinn getting #22 money.

Maybe not #22 money, but he isn't going to get anything all that much more. He can't. It will unbalance the entire first round and what they get paid. It will all be incentive based for him to make much more than the normal amount for the #22.

Refresh my memory, what did Rivers end up doing?

Went and looked for myself. Rivers was picked #4 and traded to the team for the #1 pick, therefore saying he was the #1 pick. That is a much different scenario than a player falling in the draft.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jb » Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:49 pm

Swerb wrote:This is a holdout waiting to happen.

Brillianst.

And well said.

The bright side is that if the means he rides pines for most/all of his rookie season, so much the better.

Mini-camp reports show he's nowhere near ready. The best thing is to bring him along very slowly & earn his position. Persobnally, I'd be stoked if he turns out to be another Phil Rivers situation where patience yields a very solid young QB.

We ain't hoisting dilver in 2007 - 08. There's no gleam yet.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Hi Oktane » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:33 pm

This is one (maybe the only) area where the NBA has the NFL licked. In the NBA, all rooks make the same and like it. In the NFL, first round picks, who have never taken a snap, get bigger checks than Super Bowl MVP's. It just doesn't make sense. I know the NFL is riding high, and I am a huge fan, but this is something that must be fixed.
"At least the Scots didn't have to tune in with the rest of the country and watch their women get plowed by Longshanks and his men."
~Commodore Perry on the difference between baseball's flawed economics : Indians :: prima nocta : Scots
Hi Oktane
TPS Report Grader

Favorite Player: Brother Red
Least Favorite Player: IHS

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:34 pm

Quit being a baby, and get your ass into camp. All we heard was how much you wanted to be a Cleveland Brown, well here is your chance.

Might as well close the thread after this comment, b/c this is all that needs to be said.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:47 pm

The only one who didn't hold out since Courtney Brown in 2000 was Kamerion Wimbley and not surprisingly he was ready to go by Day 1 while everyone else needed time to catch up.

Wouldn't Phil's other #1 have been in camp on time--reportedly--had it not been for the meddling of The Man Who Tried To Kill The Cleveland Browns (no, not him...the second time)?

If BQ misses any time, I don't think he'll miss much. Even if Condon's asking for #12 money, Phil could justify that the same way he justified pulling the trigger on the trade. BQ was ranked in our Top 5(ish? I don't remember exactly), so we're still getting a bargain. And what does it really matter? If BQ's what we need him to be and what Phil really needs him to be, his rookie contract is getting torn up & extended after his 2nd year anyway.

I don't think Phil's a penny pincher, and the last place he'll be looking to save a nickel or two is on BQ. Him getting a slow start due to a holdout costs us much more than whatever the difference is between the #12 and #22 pick's contracts.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL