Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

What You Would've Done Differently

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

What You Would've Done Differently

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun May 11, 2014 2:16 pm

1st round, 1st pick (Justin Gilbert) - I really wanted Sammy Watkins, but the Bills offering a 1st and 4th to move back 5 spaces would be really tough to pass up, especially with the possibility of getting Mike Evans there. Evans goes, you take the top Corner, which they obviously did. Can't really fault that.

1st round, 2nd pick (Johnny Manziel) - No way I trade up for Manziel. I stay put and take Bridgewater. Keep that extra 3rd rounder.

2nd round (Joel Bitonio) - If Josh Gordon is getting suspended, I take Marquise Lee. If he's not getting suspended, I still take Marquise Lee.

3rd round, 1st pick (Christian Kirksey) - I go out on a limb and take Tre Mason. Just think he has game-changing potential.

3rd round, 2nd pick - This is the pick that was traded away to get Manziel. Go best available OL or ILB here.

3rd round, 3rd pick (Terrance West) - Go best available OL or ILB here (whichever they didn't take with the last pick).

4th round (Pierre Desir) - Fine with this pick, I like Desir's potential.

Kept all the trades in place except the trade up for Manziel since the rest were fine with me.

So I end up with:

Justin Gilbert
Teddy Bridgewater
Marquise Lee
Tre Mason
OL/ILB
OL/ILB
Pierre Desir
Buffalo's 2015 1st and 4th
Baltimore's 2015 6th
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Re: What You Would've Done Differently

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Sun May 11, 2014 3:18 pm

I'm mostly in line with you. Love the move down for a CB. I personally wanted Dennard there, but only because I'm familiar with his game. Now that I've looked at Gilbert a bit more I'm 100% on board with the pick. (I have the Bills winning 6 games again this year, which should mean a pick in the #9 area. They suck, but have a very easy schedule.)

I would've sat tight at 26 and taken Teddy. If they felt that he wouldn't be there at 26, I'd even have been fine with them trading up for him. He's going to be a star IMO.

Marquise Lee at 35 all the way - I would've even traded up for him too.

3rd round 1st pick - Gabe Jackson (or whichever guard the Browns had highest on their board. Not gonna pretend to have scouted any of them, but many were high on Jackson.)

3rd round 2nd pick - Highest rated LB.

I'm perfectly fine with the picks of West and Desir.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun May 11, 2014 4:10 pm

I too am fine with the pick of West, just that if I'd taken Tre Mason there would be no need to get West too.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby justmebd » Sun May 11, 2014 7:09 pm

This is a tough one for me as I liked the trade, but I have a hard time passing up Watkins after we passed up Julio Jones a few years ago. At some point you have to draft the elite players.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby jerryroche » Sun May 11, 2014 7:13 pm

Don't understand the pick of Kirksey at 71 when Chris Borland was still on the board. Kirksey is listed as an OLB -- which the Browns have plenty of -- but Pluto says the Browns will use him at ILB, where he's undersized. Borland is an ILB by trade, and a darned good one at that -- the 49ers got him six picks after Kirksey.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Ol' No.32
Least Favorite Player: Black & gold

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:49 pm

jerryroche wrote:Don't understand the pick of Kirksey at 71 when Chris Borland was still on the board. Kirksey is listed as an OLB -- which the Browns have plenty of -- but Pluto says the Browns will use him at ILB, where he's undersized. Borland is an ILB by trade, and a darned good one at that -- the 49ers got him six picks after Kirksey.

My suspicion is that Borland comes off the field on passing situations. Kirksey doesn't, from what I've read.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby mattvan1 » Sun May 11, 2014 8:51 pm

I like your draft much better than Farmer's.

Hikohadon wrote:1st round, 1st pick (Justin Gilbert) - I really wanted Sammy Watkins, but the Bills offering a 1st and 4th to move back 5 spaces would be really tough to pass up, especially with the possibility of getting Mike Evans there. Evans goes, you take the top Corner, which they obviously did. Can't really fault that.

1st round, 2nd pick (Johnny Manziel) - No way I trade up for Manziel. I stay put and take Bridgewater. Keep that extra 3rd rounder.

2nd round (Joel Bitonio) - If Josh Gordon is getting suspended, I take Marquise Lee. If he's not getting suspended, I still take Marquise Lee.

3rd round, 1st pick (Christian Kirksey) - I go out on a limb and take Tre Mason. Just think he has game-changing potential.

3rd round, 2nd pick - This is the pick that was traded away to get Manziel. Go best available OL or ILB here.

3rd round, 3rd pick (Terrance West) - Go best available OL or ILB here (whichever they didn't take with the last pick).

4th round (Pierre Desir) - Fine with this pick, I like Desir's potential.

Kept all the trades in place except the trade up for Manziel since the rest were fine with me.

So I end up with:

Justin Gilbert
Teddy Bridgewater
Marquise Lee
Tre Mason
OL/ILB
OL/ILB
Pierre Desir
Buffalo's 2015 1st and 4th
Baltimore's 2015 6th
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Triple-S » Sun May 11, 2014 11:15 pm

Honestly nothing.

I'll give Manziel the benefit of the doubt until he proves otherwise.

He's indeed a coin flip at this point, but I'd rather us have a guy who could be either the best/worst thing we've ever seen, than the last couple of guys who've simply been "Well he can manage games!".

I like the drafting of Gilbert, the trade for the first rounder next year, and the fact they decided to go line in the 2nd was pretty cool.

I do think that any shot we had at drafting a guy that could have potentially been able to replicated what Josh Gordon did went out the window when Evans and Watkins were off the board, so forget that.

Making a trade or signing a guy like Santonio Holmes would be a better move for that.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby peeker643 » Mon May 12, 2014 10:30 am

Only one that puzzles me is Kirksey. He's not the badass, beastly guy that Pettine says he wants. He seems a more inexperienced clone of DQwell, albeit far cheaper. He was a two year captain and he's a leader so I dig it, but physically a weird fit. Gonna be funny seeing him next to Dansby ;-)

Wanted no part of JFF (which I truly believe should stand for Jrunken Fucking Fidget) but on board to watch the spectacular nature of his ascension (possible) or destruction (probable).

I love Borland but a little guy with shoulder issues and two-down potential probably best passed unless you're a team that's building depth there.

I'm fine with them staying true to their board and their guys. I don't give a shit what the fans want in terms of the receivers they passed over. 98% of the fans are goddamn alarmist, reactionary morons.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:16 pm

peeker643 wrote: watch the spectacular nature of his ascension (possible) or destruction (probable).

Kind of feels to me like watching an elite QB like a Farve or Brady, when they are behind. The "let's go- let's see it" factor. And man, will exhibition season be something. Manziel will do great in those games. Of course, so did Weeden last year.
Hope manziel is forced by coaches to remain in the pocket, or be used in controlled rollouts.

peeker643 wrote: I'm fine with them staying true to their board and their guys. I don't give a shit what the fans want in terms of the receivers they passed over. 98% of the fans are goddamn alarmist, reactionary morons.

Yep. I've been asking for that team to have a plan and stick to it for so long now. Can't complain when they do. Even in a deep draft, they weren't replacing Gordon with a mid-rounder.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon May 12, 2014 4:01 pm

1a. Gilbert
1b. Teddy kgB
2. Lee
3a. Gabe Jackson
3b. Donte Moncrief
3c. Dri Archer
4. Desir
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby danwismar » Tue May 13, 2014 12:00 pm

I'm with Peeker as far as being a bit baffled by the Kirksey pick in the 3rd. I watched a lot of Iowa football over the last few years, and I thought Anthony Hitchens (taken a round later) was the more productive player, and a better tackler, (in addition to being a local kid.)

My main objection to JFF was that (like the Browns draft in its entirety) the hype could not possibly be matched by the reality. I also feel a bit bad for Hoyer, even though I am clear-headed about his long-term potential, because I know that Joe Fan will nor EVER be clear-headed about Johnny unless and until he is consigned to the scrap heap.

The Hoyer situation had the potential to be a great "feel good" story...at least for a season, as the hometown kid got his dream shot to quarterback his local team back into relevance. Now the city that has been a graveyard for quarterbacks seems all too eager to begin digging the hole for Hoyer, and anxious to throw the first shovel full of dirt down on his head. Too bad.

Those "alarmist, reactionary morons" with whom I share the seats down on the lakefront....you know...the ones who cheered when Tim Couch was injured...will be starting the "Johnny" chants about two seconds after Hoyer's first interception of the season. Any front office type who wants to tell you that they'll feel no pressure from the fan base to play Manziel before he's "ready"...if that day ever comes...is blowing smoke up your ass. Of course they will.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby Govbarney » Tue May 13, 2014 12:19 pm

Kirksey was drafted to replace Robinson , and obtained for his coverage skills... a bit of a reach maybe , but if you don't think it was a position and skill set of need go back and watch Robinson tape.

Love the Joel Bitonio pick over any of the WRs left on the board. The right side of the line was a disaster , and we had zero decent run orientated pulling guards on the team , and from everything I read this guy was steal in the second round.

Only thing I would have changed would have been the move up to grab Manziel, I am not convinced he wouldnt have still been there at 26, and furthermore if he wasnt I would have just gone Bridgewater.

As far as the WR situation goes, no one with the exception of Sam Watkins would have replaced Gordon's production, so until you can get someone who can (either his return, a trade, or next years draft) I don't see the point of wasting draft picks on guys who at best might be Hawkins , and at worst could be more Greg Little's. Re-tool the O to reestablish the run (which they are doing), grab a bunch of UDFA WRs, and hope you get lucky , look at some trade possibilities, and most important be patient for next year.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:34 pm

Govbarney wrote:Kirksey was drafted to replace Robinson , and obtained for his coverage skills... a bit of a reach maybe , but if you don't think it was a position and skill set of need go back and watch Robinson tape.

Love the Joel Bitonio pick over any of the WRs left on the board. The right side of the line was a disaster , and we had zero decent run orientated pulling guards on the team , and from everything I read this guy was steal in the second round.

Only thing I would have changed would have been the move up to grab Manziel, I am not convinced he wouldnt have still been there at 26, and furthermore if he wasnt I would have just gone Bridgewater.

As far as the WR situation goes, no one with the exception of Sam Watkins would have replaced Gordon's production, so until you can get someone who can (either his return, a trade, or next years draft) I don't see the point of wasting draft picks on guys who at best might be Hawkins , and at worst could be more Greg Little's. Re-tool the O to reestablish the run (which they are doing), grab a bunch of UDFA WRs, and hope you get lucky , look at some trade possibilities, and most important be patient for next year.

Agree on the Kirksey take. All of his highlights showed him in coverage, him and dansby on passing downs are going to be a huge upgrade over what we've seen the last few years. Your LBs need to cover these new age TE/WR hybrids. How many 3rd downs did we see converted over the middle with a brownie chasing in coverage, hopefully this ends that.
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL