Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Josh Gordon facing year long suspension

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Josh Gordon facing year long suspension

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri May 09, 2014 6:44 pm

ESPN reporting hecould lose the season after his second failed drug test.

Typical Cleveland

Joe Thomas will probably tear his ACL in preseason and Joe Haden will be jailed for murder next
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Re: Josh Gordon facing year long suspension

Unread postby scrambler » Fri May 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Weed??? I honestly didn't know that's what all of Gordon's suspensions were for before today. I actually thought he was doing something wrong to deserve these suspensions.
scrambler

Favorite Player: Charlie Spikes
Least Favorite Player: Oelkers/Yett

Unread postby Spin » Fri May 09, 2014 7:51 pm

You guys didn't think we could go 24 hours with good news, did you?
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby bookelly » Fri May 09, 2014 8:04 pm

WEED is the hammer they use to ruin black men's lives. It's a fucking disgrace.
Nobody, I mean nobody, voluntarily becomes a Cleveland sports fan.

"This team could fuck up a ham sandwich." -CDT
bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Favorite Player: My bunny hunny
Least Favorite Player: Elmer Fudd

Unread postby motherscratcher » Fri May 09, 2014 8:23 pm

bookelly wrote:WEED is the hammer they use to ruin black men's lives. It's a fucking disgrace.

I agree. Doesn't make Gordon any less of a dumb fucking idiot.
According to my sources CDT farts in the tub and bites the bubbles.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Favorite Player: Ernie Camacho
Least Favorite Player: Jose Mesa

Unread postby scrambler » Fri May 09, 2014 10:15 pm

What on earth is the possible reason the NFL tests for marijuana? What a bunch of psychopaths. Good lord, didn't history prove prohibition did not work? I'm lost on this. I don't know why I thought Gordon's last year suspension was for PEDs. Couldn't Josh just say he was in Colorado and forgot about the archaic NFL drug testing policy for a legal substance? The sickness of this country knows no bounds whatsoever. HOnest to goodness, this is pathetic if this comes to pass. I see that pimp Goodell is starting to hold the city of Buffalo and it's poor citizens hostage now for the next NFL raping. NEed a trillion dollar stadium in a depressed city I guess.
scrambler

Unread postby scrambler » Fri May 09, 2014 10:23 pm

They test for freaking weed and let their severely concussed dementia possessed ex players who made god damn pimp Goodell billions of dollars die in the street and not help them out. Psychopaths all of them. I gag bile through my nostrils when I read the history post NFL of one of the all time great players Mike Webster and what him and his family went through while this god damn pimp Goodell tests players for freaking weed.

I hope Manziel sucks and the team goes 0-16 and moves to LA in less than 2 years. I can't wait to see how that pimp rapes the city of Buffalo.
scrambler

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri May 09, 2014 10:56 pm

motherscratcher wrote:
bookelly wrote:WEED is the hammer they use to ruin black men's lives. It's a fucking disgrace.

Jesus, these guys go through life with less rules than all of us. Follow the couple you have.

Some guys have weight clauses. Pierogis, like weed, aren't going to cause the end of the free world. But not passing on a few pierogis thus jepardizing your contract worth millions makes you, as Mo states, a fucking idiot.

Blaming the NFL's weed policy....Christ, the guy has THREE chances to straighten up. T-H-R-E-E. He deserves what he gets.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Hikohadon » Fri May 09, 2014 11:10 pm

While keeping weed on the banned list and testing for it seems silly, it was part of the CBA and he FUCKING KNOW THIS.

Just stop smoking for a few years. It's not that hard. It's weed, not crack. It's easier to quit than coffee.

The WR position just became a freaking joke. And while I almost admire Farmer/Pettine's insistence that they stick to their board... gentlemen, your starting WR's right now are Greg Little and Nate Burleson (who's hurt and out until TC).
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri May 09, 2014 11:19 pm

If I was on Gordon's salary, I'd even give up ice cream if they've asked me to.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Spin » Fri May 09, 2014 11:37 pm

And how do the Browns respond?

In a draft ripe in WR's, they draft an offensive lineman, inside linebacker, and a running back.

WHO THE FUCK IS MANZIEL GOING TO THROW TO if Gordon goes down??
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby YahooFanChicago » Sat May 10, 2014 12:03 am

motherscratcher wrote:

Huh?

You two can't be fucking serious?

If so, who are these evil racist pricks you refer to as "they"? Is it our Federal Government? You know, the one with the African American President? Is it the city of Cleveland Govt lead by Mayor Jackson? Maybe it's the judicial branch? - the one that has a supreme court with a couple of African American judges right? Or maybe it's law enforcement?- maybe Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams has an ax to grind with his own race so he's the guy using weed as his hamer?

Gee Miss Crabtree, you're even pretier 'n Miss McGuilacutty...
YahooFanChicago

Favorite Player: Miss Crabtree
Least Favorite Player: Chubsy Wubsy

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Sat May 10, 2014 12:22 am

The browns front office has known about this for some time maybe that is why they signed two WR in free agency. Sometimes the stupidity of the media is overwhelming. They act like since they just found out that it just happened.
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Flash Gordon
Least Favorite Player: TWofA

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat May 10, 2014 12:58 am

Love child of shawn kemp wrote:maybe that is why they signed two WR in free agency.

http://tracking.si.com/2014/05/09/nate- ... owns-otas/

Oops. Make that one.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat May 10, 2014 6:10 am

leadpipe wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Jesus, these guys go through life with less rules than all of us. Follow the couple you have.

Some guys have weight clauses. Pierogis, like weed, aren't going to cause the end of the free world. But not passing on a few pierogis thus jepardizing your contract worth millions makes you, as Mo states, a fucking idiot.

Blaming the NFL's weed policy....Christ, the guy has THREE chances to straighten up. T-H-R-E-E. He deserves what he gets.

He was kicked off 2 college teams for weed, suspended last year for weed, no one can be seriously surprised by this.

And the Lead Man is right- the rules are crystal- no weed. Fuck him, and fuck the Browns for not testing him every day. You can buy a $13 drug test at CVS.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat May 10, 2014 6:54 am

Erie Warrior wrote:
leadpipe wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

He was kicked off 2 college teams for weed, suspended last year for weed, no one can be seriously surprised by this.

And the Lead Man is right- the rules are crystal- no weed. Fuck him, and fuck the Browns for not testing him every day. You can buy a $13 drug test at CVS.

And by the way, if the guy is basically always baked (Unless you think the times his college and pro teams caught him were the only times he chiefed) what's the odds he's NOT driving around South Beach high?

Just because he wouldn't be the first Cleveland Brown receiver to kill a pedestrian with his car in Florida in the last seven years, doesn't make it ok.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby justmebd » Sat May 10, 2014 8:15 am

Passing on Watkins looks ten times as stupid now, and I thought it was stupid on Thursday.

That's the beauty of a Browns front office though; if you think they're a bunch of dumbasses, just wait a year, you'll get a whole NEW set of dumbasses.

When JFF goes down with a concussion in Week 1 and Week 5, and Hoyer has nobody to throw to because all the receivers are smoking weed or injured, we can relax knowing a new front office can screw up next year's draft after we finish 3-13 again.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat May 10, 2014 8:41 am

YahooFanChicago wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:

Huh?

You two can't be fucking serious?

If so, who are these evil racist pricks you refer to as "they"? Is it our Federal Government? You know, the one with the African American President? Is it the city of Cleveland Govt lead by Mayor Jackson? Maybe it's the judicial branch? - the one that has a supreme court with a couple of African American judges right? Or maybe it's law enforcement?- maybe Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams has an ax to grind with his own race so he's the guy using weed as his hamer?

JFC you guys, I thought it was possible to have an opinion nuanced enough to think the NFL's weed policy is stupid while also condemning Gordon for being a selfish asshole who's not only dumb enough to keep getting caught breaking the rules that everyone else seems to be able to skirt effortlessly and holding him accountable. In fact I thought that's exactly what I did.

As far as the rest of your post, Yahoo...I was just agreeing with the FACT that black men, while no more statistically likely to smoke weed than whites, are far more statistically likely to be arrested and incarcerated for the offense. It's pretty well established and, honestly, I didn't think it was that controversial of an opinion. You've got young black guys in NYC getting stopped and frisked for doing nothing and arrested if they have a joint in their pocket. Meanwhile on the other coast the white kids are having festivals where the cops show up and supply them with bags of Doritos reminding them not to drive.

But I guess in Obummer's America we are post racism because Clarence Thomas and the Cleveland police Chief are black. Or something. But that shit belongs in NHB and doesn't change the fact that Gordon is a selfish undisciplined jackoff.

Now I'm going to go to twitter and do a search for "Josh Gordon N*****" and be all warm and fuzzy inside when the search turns up with zero results.
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:43 am

Spin wrote:WHO THE FUCK IS MANZIEL GOING TO THROW TO if Gordon goes down??

I always figured he was just gonna run around and feint and juke until even you or I could get open. He doesn't need big name receivers. Not really sure he needs any.

And Christ, Randy Moss was pretty much Snoop Dogg and he avoided this.

People are fucking stupid. Not Josh Gordon, he's a pot head. But people bitching about the guy who signed a lucrative deal in a league that openly tests and openly punishes for marijuana and who gets suspended for being tested and caught MULTIPLE TIMES are morons.

Weed is legal in many states. It's legal in Colorado. Yet I imagine an air traffic controller who tests positive might be a problem and might have issues with his employer. That might be in their CBA, ya know?

Nothing to do with whether it should or should not be legal or they typical Bomani Jonesization of every fucking thing coming down to racial biasing.

The league is a multibillion dollar conglomerate. When weed is legal in more states than not and is more socially acceptable it will disappear from the CBA as a banned substance and probably be on sale at the concession stand for 5x street value. Los Zetas may fucking own the expansion LA franchise.

Until then, don't fucking get caught.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby motherscratcher » Sat May 10, 2014 8:51 am

peeker643 wrote:

I always figured he was just gonna run around and feint and juke until even you or I could get open. He doesn't need big name receivers. Not really sure he needs any.

People are fucking stupid. Not Josh Gordon, he's a pot head. But people bitching about the guy who signed a lucrative deal in a league that openly tests and openly punishes for marijuana and who gets suspended for being tested and caught MULTIPLE TIMES are morons.

Weed is legal in many states. It's legal in Colorado. Yet I imagine an air traffic controller who tests positive might be a problem and might have issues with his employer. That might be in their CBA, ya know?

Nothing to do with whether it should or should not be legal or they typical Bomani Jonesization of every fucking thing coming down to racial biasing.

The league is a multibillion dollar conglomerate. When weed is legal in more states than not and is more socially acceptable it will disappear from the CBA as a banned substance and probably be on sale at the concession stand for 5x street value. Los Zetas may fucking own the expansion LA franchise.

That's what I don't get. What percentage of NFL players smoke pot? 60%? 80%? How the fuck is Gordon the dumbass who gets caught? What's it like to be the dumbest player in a league that boasts such luminaries as Brandon Weeden?
motherscratcher
Little Larry Sellers

Unread postby peeker643 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:56 am

motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

That's what I don't get. What percentage of NFL players smoke pot? 60%? 80%? How the fuck is Gordon the dumbass who gets caught? What's it like to be the dumbest player in a league that boasts such luminaries as Brandon Weeden?

Well, once Otis the Drunk got caught on his second or 3rd DUI, they probably stopped his car leaving the bar more often. Despite many of the other bar patrons being drunk.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby Govbarney » Sat May 10, 2014 8:58 am

Erie Warrior wrote:And the Lead Man is right- the rules are crystal- no weed. Fuck him, and fuck the Browns for not testing him every day. You can buy a $13 drug test at CVS.

My understanding was he was tested up to 10 times a MONTH , the NFL would even show up to his doorstep during the off-season to have him pee in a cup (all part of the punishment for the first two transgressions.) When you are getting tested that often, your just a fucking moron (or an addict) for thinking you can get away with it. You really cant fix stupid, but the one thing the Browns could have done is given him a permanent live in chaperon like Dallas has done with Dez Bryant.
Looks like Lombardi/Banner may have had the right idea when they floated the idea of trading him last season.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sat May 10, 2014 9:47 am

peeker643 wrote:
motherscratcher wrote:
peeker643 wrote:

Well, once Otis the Drunk got caught on his second or 3rd DUI, they probably stopped his car leaving the bar more often. Despite many of the other bar patrons being drunk.

Yep, after several offenses Gordon has proverbial party plates. He doesn't get to roll the way the other guys do.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Commodore Perry » Sat May 10, 2014 4:59 pm

Well, looks like he's not going to be allowed to catch footballs anymore.

At least he can still be President.
All the Good Things Happening in Cleveland
http://www.clevelandnewsblog.com
Commodore Perry
Old School American

Unread postby Ziner » Sat May 10, 2014 5:55 pm

Trade him to the Broncos.

Gordon is a moron. Blows my mind how one could be SO dumb.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby bookelly » Sat May 10, 2014 6:40 pm

Yes, yes, yes a thousands times yes he is a total dumbass.

But we're talking about WEED man. This shit will be legal in 35 states in five years. It's the drug of choice in the NFL. Gimme a fucking break.

I'm not arguing he's an idiot. But the rule is stupid. (smoke)

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat May 10, 2014 7:11 pm

bookelly wrote: It's the drug of choice in the NFL.

Dianabol & Winstrol
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Sat May 10, 2014 7:34 pm

We win 4-6 games with him, now we're only going to win 3-5. Then next year we can pass on the best WR and get another teams first for the following year ;)
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun May 11, 2014 12:30 am

bookelly wrote:Yes, yes, yes a thousands times yes he is a total dumbass.

But we're talking about WEED man. This shit will be legal in 35 states in five years. It's the drug of choice in the NFL. Gimme a fucking break.

I'm not arguing he's an idiot. But the rule is stupid. (smoke)

Matters not. It's still the rule.

If the CBA banned coffee, that would also be stupid. And still against the rule. As a player, you know this and don't drink fucking coffee.
Hikohadon

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Sun May 11, 2014 3:00 pm

I've been smoking weed consistently for over a decade. But when I had to take my Series 7 to enter the world of finance, I didn't smoke for a month before the drug test. During that month I went to an Iron Maiden show and a Dave Matthews outdoor show, and didn't smoke. It was remarkably easy to give it up. It was either stopping smoking and having the career I worked for, or continuing to smoke and not having the career I worked for.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby bookelly » Sun May 11, 2014 7:38 pm

You're in here for WEED!?!

/glad to see the boards alive and kicking.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon May 12, 2014 8:53 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:I've been smoking weed consistently for over a decade. But when I had to take my Series 7 to enter the world of finance, I didn't smoke for a month before the drug test. During that month I went to an Iron Maiden show and a Dave Matthews outdoor show, and didn't smoke. It was remarkably easy to give it up. It was either stopping smoking and having the career I worked for, or continuing to smoke and not having the career I worked for.

Yep. Easier than coffee, easier than alcohol. WAY easier than cigarettes.
Hikohadon

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon May 12, 2014 3:24 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Yep. Easier than coffee, easier than alcohol. WAY easier than cigarettes.

I weaned myself off of coffee a few years ago, and quit smoking cigarettes exactly 5 months ago. Both of those were absolutely torturous. Weed doesn't even register as a blip in comparison.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby bookelly » Mon May 12, 2014 4:59 pm

The only drug I can't quit is Prilosec. As a Cleveland fan its a necessity.

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon May 12, 2014 8:10 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:
Hikohadon wrote:Yep. Easier than coffee, easier than alcohol. WAY easier than cigarettes.

I weaned myself off of coffee a few years ago, and quit smoking cigarettes exactly 5 months ago. Both of those were absolutely torturous. Weed doesn't even register as a blip in comparison.

So the moral of this story is please no one introduce Gordon to coffee and cigs.
Hikohadon

Unread postby bookelly » Mon May 12, 2014 8:23 pm

Hearing rumors it might not be the whole year. 10 games seems about right. Maybe as low as 6. Anyone got info on this?

bookelly
Happy Easter!!

Unread postby justmebd » Mon May 12, 2014 9:38 pm

I don't drink coffee and I don't smoke ANYTHING. I tried smoking cigars with my father a few times, but finally gave up when I could barely get through a few puffs without embarrassing myself.

Every time I try and quit drinking Coca-Cola, though, I get headaches, I get irritable and I start craving it. So I've given up trying to give up coke, it's my one addiction. Even my doctor said, "Eh, as long as you're not drinking a gallon a day, I'm not worried about it."

That being said, if I got offered a huge raise with the caveat, "Stop drinking Coca-Cola," I think I'd stop drinking Coca-Cola.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:53 am

bookelly wrote:Hearing rumors it might not be the whole year. 10 games seems about right. Maybe as low as 6. Anyone got info on this?

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/05/12/the-2014- ... -a-kiss/6/

'between 8 and 16 games,' according to Peter King anyway.

King also issues a dire warning over whether the browns should re-sign him in 2yrs.
Seems like a slam dunk, and I think Haslam has even said he'll be with the team a long time. Load up the contract with incentives, and build depth around him.
That team has no business letting top talent walk.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby danwismar » Tue May 13, 2014 12:37 pm

I think the team's public posture on Gordon is the wise one....they are "working with" him to try to "help him", as opposed to criticism and/or banishment, etc...even if they plan to cut ties with him down the road.

The arguments about whether pot should be a banned substance in the NFL, and the one about whether Gordon is an idiot are two entirely different conversations.

I realize they don't have a specific rule on the books about what happens to a player who is caught on video dragging his beaten unconscious girlfriend in and out of hotel elevators, but when you compare it to smoking a plant, the upside-down priorities of the NFL's moral arbiters become so glaring as to render them a joke.

Similar to the folks who invoke the "free speech" argument to defend Donald Sterling from NBA sanction....(it's also legal to call your boss a motherfucker, but that doesn't mean he can't fire you for it) the fact that it's a dumb, outdated rule doesn't mean it can be ignored, especially by multiple-time offenders. As someone said above...we've got very few rules governing player conduct in the NFL, but using coke and pot are two of them. How hard is this?

As an aside...the idea that there are thousands of black men languishing in American prisons for the crime of simple possession of pot is largely a myth. Most of the people (white, black and otherwise) serving sentences for possession today are people who were busted with larger quantities, and who were permitted to plead down to possession to avoid sentences for felonies.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL