Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Peeker's Mock Draft

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Peeker's Mock Draft

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:01 pm

I don't have a mock draft, dipshits. I barely have the time or desire to type this.

But I'm calling my shot today as Watkins at #4 and both Carr and best of Dennard/Gilbert or Kyle Fuller left on the board with 26 and 35.

Also think they draft a second QB like Logan Thomas on day two or three depending on how in love they are.

Just how I read the tea leaves of what they've done this off season.

So glad when this is all over.

BUT.... tell me the three players they leave with after picks 4/26 and 35.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Peeker's Mock Draft

Unread postby googleeph2 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:41 pm

Haha

Bortles, Lewan and Fuller. The Buckeye QB in the 7th.

I am really not a draft guy, but there it is.

Actually, I do spend time studying draft picks- after the picks are made.
googleeph2

Favorite Player: Todd Beamer
Least Favorite Player: .

Unread postby OldDawg » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:33 pm

I am not sure I'd take any QB at #4

At #4, I'd like Watkins. Or trade back a couple spots and get WR Evans.
At #26, I'd take Carr. Or be willing to trade up a few spots if Bridgewater slides.
At #35, I'd take best CB available or maybe even Carlos Hyde.

Or give me the three A&M guys... Johnny Football, Matthews and Evans.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Favorite Player: Mark Price
Least Favorite Player: LePunk Jims

Unread postby Govbarney » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:41 pm

I just have this weird feeling its going to be either Mack or Robinson at 4.. It you stick a gun to my head Id say Mack b/c Robinson is off the board. I think they would rather have Watkins or John Football, but both are off the board by 4.

For 26 they shore up the back field with Verrett, and 37 they grab Weeden 2.0 aka Carr.

I also see them drafting a second QB to hedge their bets late 5,6, or 7. Maybe a David Fales, or possibly Kenny G.

If this is the way it falls Id be happy with everything but Carr.
"I don't think they're building chemical weapons in Berea. But they might be. I can't say for sure."
Chuck Klosterman
Govbarney

Favorite Player: Smallmouth Bass
Least Favorite Player: Sheephead

Unread postby OldDawg » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:58 am

Govbarney wrote:I think they would rather have Watkins or John Football, but both are off the board by 4.

I think Johnny FB will be available. If he's gone, I think Watkins will be available. I'd be surprised if both are gone at 4.
"The nose of the bulldog has been slanted backwards so that he can breathe without letting go." -- Winston Churchill
OldDawg

Unread postby justmebd » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:27 am

Please tell me why we still are waiting to have the real draft.

Bumping the draft two weeks = Stupid, Stupid, Stupid.

My Mock Draft: Jabroni, Some Guy, The Other Person, Bench Warmer, Future FedEx Driver, trade-to-Dolphins for future pick, Practice Squad Flunkie, Feel-Good Story Guy, and Project Guy.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby pup » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:09 am

4 Bridgewater
26 Clinton-Dix
35 Roby
4th round Taj
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:14 pm

pup wrote:4 Bridgewater
26 Clinton-Dix
35 Roby
4th round Taj

They won't take Teddy at 4.

4. Robinson
26. Mosley
35. Jimmy G.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:19 pm

4- Watkins
26- Bridgewater
35- Ford
71/83- Archer
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby CleSportsTruth » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:22 pm

BTW: Not convinced Watkins is there at 4. Even if he is, the position's pretty deep this yr, so I'm not sure they'd take him at 4.
CleSportsTruth

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:05 pm

Watkins, Robinson, or Mack - whichever is there at 4.

No clue with the other two picks (26 & 35), too many different scenarios to even bother. Hopefully Teddy somehow drops to there. Don't want Carr or Johnny Foolsgold even if they last to 26.
It's only progress if you eventually get somewhere.
Hikohadon

Favorite Player: Scotch
Least Favorite Player: Gin

Unread postby OldDawg » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:41 pm

Hikohadon wrote:Johnny Foolsgold

Haha! I like that!
OldDawg

Unread postby Hikohadon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:36 pm

Further evidence that this board dying is a goddam tragedy.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:21 am

Hikohadon wrote: Don't want Carr or Johnny Foolsgold even if they last to 26.

If Johnny Dawgpound is there at 26, snatch that bitch up. I once saw him throw a football over a mountain.

And I awfully sick of draft talk, let's get this show on the road ferfuckssake. I would much rather project HOF careers from 4th round athletes with good hips!
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby gotribe31 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:53 am

Carlos Hyde at 4. Roby at 26. Shazier at 35. Kenny G in the 3rd round. Book it.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Unread postby Hikohadon » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 am

Yes, waiting the extra two weeks made a process that already took too long unbearable.

I'm using the Brady Quinn Postulate in regards to Carr and Manziel - if you don't want the Browns to take him at 4 because you don't think he'll be a good NFL QB, then don't take him later in the 1st round just bc he's "good value" at that point.
Hikohadon

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:17 pm

Hikohadon wrote:
I'm using the Brady Quinn Postulate in regards to Carr and Manziel - if you don't want the Browns to take him at 4 because you don't think he'll be a good NFL QB, then don't take him later in the 1st round just bc he's "good value" at that point.

I have a nearly unworn jersey that agrees with this line of reasoning. That being said, they need a QB. I know for sure they won't find in FA, they have to at least try in the draft. Therefore, as much as it pains me to say, they have to use one of the 1st round picks on a QB.

I am not a fan of Carr, Metzenfuck, Savage, Fales, McCarron, or Murray. Lukewarm on Bortles. Ok with Teddy kgB, and real high or real low on Johnny Dawgpound- depending on my BAC.

So I'm as qualified as anyone in the Browns FO.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:27 pm

We're working out Vince Young now, so no need to draft a QB this year ;)
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby Love child of shawn kemp » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:34 pm

They better keep Vince Young and his God Damn purple drank recipe away from Josh Gordon.

I am torn between a solid 20 year veteran-to-be like Mathews at # 4 or Manziel for the entertainment factor. It would have to be interesting at least one way or the other
Love child of shawn kemp

Favorite Player: Corey KKKKKluber
Least Favorite Player: Domestic Violence

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:49 pm

JaMarcus Russell was the purple Drank, vince young gets in fights strip clubs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngEueaBe2uk
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby googleeph2 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:39 pm

I'm not seeing Watkins. There's supposed to be 1st rd talent available in the 3rd rd this year, so why should a team with so many holes bypass value at other positions that should be gone after the #4 pick? Also, this may sound like an insult but it's not meant to be: Is 'Watkins-at-4' really, really skewed by his performance in the bowl game against a horrible OSU pass defense?

On Manziel, I don't tout him, but it is going to be tremendous if they pick him. THe polarization among Browns fans and non-fans alike, plus there would be the 'OK let's see it' factor on a level you usually only get to do with elite QBs who are behind in game situations. I know a guy whose dad knew Blanton Collier, and this guy says if they take Manziel, he is done with the Browns. I don't know if I believe him, but he sounds like he means it. It would be fascinating. I thought for a long time that Haslam was going to demand they take him (a la Jerry Jones, apparently), and a small part of me still has that crazy thought coming up for air from time to time.
googleeph2

Unread postby justmebd » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:21 pm

I read a good point yesterday.

Would the Steelers draft Manziel? If the answer is no, then why should the Browns?

Manziel may end up being a great talent, you just never know. That being said, I just don't think he's big enough to survive the AFC North. That's the core argument against him in my book. It's something tangible outside of 40 times, arm strength, blah blah blah.

You need to be big and mobile. Manziel is not big enough IMHO. Next.
justmebd

Favorite Player: Gary Gygax
Least Favorite Player: Heinz Field Occupant

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:16 am

justmebd wrote:Would the Steelers draft Manziel? If the answer is no, then why should the Browns?

Because the Browns don't have a QB?

I know a guy whose dad knew Blanton Collier, and this guy says if they take Manziel, he is done with the Browns

Well, in that case they better not!

Ask JaMarky Drank and Skrimp Club Young about big and mobile. You need to be good. Does anyone have any good info on Directional Illinois Pappageorggio? And Just because Romo came from there is not reason enough to waste a pick on that guy.
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:44 am

OK, I'll bite.

Robinson at 4, trade up from 26 (give up a 3rd and 5th) to grab Carr at approx. #20, and take the best available corner or safety (Verrett, Pryor, Roby?) at 35.

I realize that I tend to bear the imprint of the last guy to sit on me, but last night I watched the 30 minute Jon Gruden QB camp show with Derek Carr, and I was blown away by the kid. I know Gruden loves everybody and on top of that, tends to exaggerate, but he says Carr is the best passer in the draft, he has an incredibly accurate and strong arm, and has what it takes to be the #1 overall pick. Every scouting report says his intangibles are off the charts, and that Gruden interview shows what they are talking about.

Word is the Browns love him, but so do the Raiders and others. It would not shock me greatly to see the Browns take him at #4 if they think he'd be gone by their next turn up...trade or no trade. After watching that show last night, I would be OK with it.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

Dan's OSU Links - http://bit.ly/1o9DwFo
danwismar

Unread postby pup » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:23 am

I just can't get over his one performance against a somewhat good defensive team in USC.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby googleeph2 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:25 am

So IOW he blew you away at his fan-pro day.

Seriously, though, his reputation has been to lock onto receivers, to be confused by disguised rushes, and to throw fastballs when touch passes are called for. Did he answer those concerns in the Gruden show?
googleeph2

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:53 am

What I saw was a highly motivated guy...a very smart guy...one who was asked to direct everything...called all his own plays and WR patterns...handled all of Gruden's "whiteboard" questions easily and correctly...identified defensive looks, knew every offensive player's assignments based on defensive sets, etc.

Gruden said he was knocked out by his preparation and mental grasp of the game, but still said that the thing he was most impressed by was Carr's passing skills...accuracy, arm strength, release. Now...I may watch his session with Bridgewater and come away ready to draft him at #4 too...such is the over the top enthusiasm and unequivocal tongue-bath praise these guys tend to get from Gruden, but I loved Carr's self-confidence, and his whole personality make-up. You can see what the scouts mean by off the charts intangibles.
"I believe it is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting." H.L. Mencken

danwismar

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:10 pm

pup wrote:I just can't get over his one performance against a somewhat good defensive team in USC.

I guess what you look for is, first, physical abilities...second, intelligence and coachability...and third, motivation/drive/self-confidence/swagger.

I think he has all of those things in spades.

I saw the bowl game. He made some dumb throws. Were his career stats inflated by playing Fresno State's schedule? Absolutely.

He just seems like a no-brainer "winner" to me though. And 50 touchdowns vs 8 INT in one season is unreal against anybody. Judge for yourself if you think he can make all the throws, and has the mobility, release and decision-making to survive and prosper in the NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5wr82ZRUjc

danwismar

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:03 pm

danwismar wrote:
pup wrote:I just can't get over his one performance against a somewhat good defensive team in USC.

I guess what you look for is, first, physical abilities...second, intelligence and coachability...and third, motivation/drive/self-confidence/swagger.

I think he has all of those things in spades.

I saw the bowl game. He made some dumb throws. Were his career stats inflated by playing Fresno State's schedule? Absolutely.

He just seems like a no-brainer "winner" to me though. And 50 touchdowns vs 8 INT in one season is unreal against anybody. Judge for yourself if you think he can make all the throws, and has the mobility, release and decision-making to survive and prosper in the NFL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5wr82ZRUjc

I watched the highlight video. And of course a highlight video is a small sample size of "highlights." But when you look at his TD/INT ratio, it is impressive. In the highlight film, a lot of those TDs were in pretty tight windows, which, to me, makes the TD/INT ratio more impressive.

googleeph2 wrote:Seriously, though, his reputation has been to lock onto receivers

I also looked at the highlight video for evidence of this. The highlight video (again, small sample size) didn't seem to contain a single time where it looked like he had not locked onto a receiver from the get-go.
OldDawg

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:17 pm

Is he smart? Is he coachable?

Yes and yes.

danwismar

Unread postby Nicastro13 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:13 pm

Gruden was on First Take last week talking about the Qbs and in defense of Carr's two bowl game preformances he said that carr was injured leading up to them both and wasn't able to practice much and it effected his play. FWIW he repeated a lot of what you mentioned from his QB camp tho, arm strength ext. did seem very high on him
Nicastro13

Favorite Player: Kyrie
Least Favorite Player: Joe Pittsburgh Fan

Unread postby danwismar » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:22 pm

Fresno was obviously overwhelmed physically by USC in the bowl game. The Trojans blitzed him coming off the bus, and Fresno could not run the ball at all. Carr was 30 of 54 with 2 TD's and 1 INT against them, but only had 217 yds (4.0/att)

His response afterwards? "Blame me. Blame me always. I've got to do a better job of leading, and I've got to do a better job of getting our guys in better spots. That's my fault."

danwismar

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:29 pm

If this draft ain't the deepest, most balanced in recent years, go ahead, knock me over with a spoon. One supposedly knowledgable draft guru likes all the QBs, another doesn't like any of them. Everybody else has a favorite, from Johnny Manziel to Jimmy Garoppolo. As for me, who doesn't know a damn thing...
#4 Mike Evans
#26 FO's favorite QB left on the board
#35 Chris Borland
next pick - best CB left on the board
later rounds - offensive linemen, maybe a darkhorse QB
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Bernie-Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:27 pm

jerryroche wrote:#4 Mike Evans

I might be tempted to drop back a couple spots to get Evans. You can't go too far, though.

Then take whatever we picked up trading down from 4 and maybe package it with something else to move up from 26 to grab a falling QB. I think one could drop to 26 (Carr or Bridgewater), however, I think everyone else knows we will be going QB at 26 if we don't at #4. So any other QB-needy teams will be trying to trade ahead of us if QBs are falling. That's why I don't know if we can just sit at 26 and wait.
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:28 pm

No love for Carlos Hyde in round 2 anyone? Or are we still suffering from Trent-initis.
OldDawg

Unread postby jerryroche » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:34 pm

OldDawg wrote:No love for Carlos Hyde in round 2 anyone? Or are we still suffering from Trent-initis.

No Trent-initis. Circumstances just have changed in the past few weeks. Would've loved to take Hyde in the 2nd round -- before they picked up Ben Tate. And there'll probably be a complementary/supplementary-type RB available later in the draft, if that's the way the FO wants to go. Dion Lewis is supposedly coming back, too.
jerryroche

Favorite Player: Bernie-Bernie
Least Favorite Player: Ratlisberger

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:08 am

If signing Tate saved them the #35 pick, that was a way better move than I thought.

As for trading down, I just don;t see how you can do that if you are targeting a guy. To add draft picks, sure. But if you are targeting a guy, seems you need to take him with the pick you already have, or trade up with lower picks.
googleeph2

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:39 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:Ask JaMarky Drank and Skrimp Club Young about big and mobile.

Jamarcus was slower than Weeden. If you dropped him off a cliff, he'd just hang there for a minute before he floated down like a feather, that's just how slow he was.
Hikohadon

Unread postby danwismar » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:12 pm

Don't want to trade down. Have 10 picks...don't need more. In rounds 2-4, I love me some Big 10 talent...Love Borland, Allen Robinson from PSU, James White, Hyde, Abbrederis, Mewhort, Roby

danwismar

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:45 pm

OldDawg wrote:No love for Carlos Hyde in round 2 anyone? Or are we still suffering from Trent-initis.

Cause two placekickers signed for more than any free agents running back this season?

If you are a team with more than a few needs, and you draft a running back - I don't care who, in the 2nd round of the 2014 NFL draft, you are dumb as the day is long.

Or not paying attention to what the hell is going on out there.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu May 01, 2014 8:37 pm

I do think that the only guy who absolutely won't be available at #4 is Clowney. After him, I think any one of those other guys could be available. In that sense, we're gonna have some decent options at #4.

As a fan, I guess this year I'm looking for the "sexy" pick. There are 2 great tackles available in the top of this draft class, but I'm personally not real excited about drafting OL (even though we'd have a heck of a line). I'd prefer one of the impact WRs (Watkins or Evans).

Mack could be a "sexy" impact player on D as everyone says. But it would kinda suck that we drafted Mingo last year early and then turn around a draft another LB early this year. More of an indictment of the Mingo pick.

I even think I'd rather them reach for a QB than take an OT. I am not saying that's the right thing... just being a fan. We also already have a ton of money wrapped up into the OL.

Me, I think I'm all in on WR.
OldDawg

Unread postby OldDawg » Thu May 01, 2014 8:42 pm

leadpipe wrote:

Cause two placekickers signed for more than any free agents running back this season?

If you are a team with more than a few needs, and you draft a running back - I don't care who, in the 2nd round of the 2014 NFL draft, you are dumb as the day is long.

Yeah, I guess you're right. If we didn't pick up Tate, I'd look real hard at Hyde. Maybe I'm just wearing my scarlet and gray glasses. But man, we've had absolutely no running game for so long,its been hard to take.. So we've made sucky QBs win or lose games for us...
OldDawg

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu May 01, 2014 10:27 pm

OldDawg wrote:
leadpipe wrote:

Yeah, I guess you're right. If we didn't pick up Tate, I'd look real hard at Hyde. Maybe I'm just wearing my scarlet and gray glasses. But man, we've had absolutely no running game for so long,its been hard to take.. So we've made sucky QBs win or lose games for us...

I don't deny the talent. Hell, 8 years ago he's going in the first round.

Problem is that position is about as relevant as a pay phone.

A pay phone that stays in service about 3 and a half years.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby coachMueller » Wed May 07, 2014 8:45 am

I heard two dudes on the radio this morning talking about the Browns trading their second #1 pick for Kirk Cousins but can't find anything about it online. I really hope they don't make this deal.
coachMueller

Favorite Player: Mickey Callaway
Least Favorite Player: John Elway

Unread postby googleeph2 » Wed May 07, 2014 11:41 am

Saw some talk on that last nite. The thought is Shanahan would have Cousins there as a guy who knows his offense. McShay was thinking it might take the #83 pick - a 3rd rder.
googleeph2

Unread postby Hikohadon » Wed May 07, 2014 12:20 pm

coachMueller wrote:I heard two dudes on the radio this morning talking about the Browns trading their second #1 pick for Kirk Cousins but can't find anything about it online. I really hope they don't make this deal.

Yeah, heard that too. That trade MIGHT be the worst trade in the history of the NFL, if it were to happen. It would actually be WORSE than the Colts trading us a 1st round pick for a backup RB. I wouldn't trade a 5th round pick for Cousins. Waste of a roster spot.

But I highly doubt that would happen, that's just Bill Polian pulling shit out of his ass and the rest of the apes at ESPN running with it.
Hikohadon

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed May 07, 2014 2:13 pm

I think if either Mack or Robinson are there they take one. Otherwise they try to trade down, which is way easier said than done, of course.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby ClevelandFanInNewYork » Wed May 07, 2014 10:57 pm

4 Watkins
26 Carr
35 Hyde

Let's finally be able to put some points on the board!
ClevelandFanInNewYork

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: Any New Yorker

Unread postby googleeph2 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:38 pm

Re: Cousins. Maybe a nice strategy would be to take a 4th-5th rd QB like him, with the secret option to parlay him into something more at draft time in a couple yrs. Since every Browns QB plays every year, there is a chance he'll show something good on tape, and some team will like his 'seasoning'.

OTOH, draft a 4th rd RB, and that guy is a street FA in a couple yrs..

Of course, the carefully scouted 4th rd OL guy could be just beginning a 5yr run as starter.
googleeph2

Unread postby JCoz » Thu May 08, 2014 5:05 pm

What I think happens -

4. Watkins
26. Bridgewater
35. No Idea

Dream scenario for me:

4. Trade down, take Gilbert
26. Bridgewater, trade up if necessary